Incredible slowness with i7 4790k and RTX 2080

RCR-2631227RCR-2631227 Posts: 212
edited January 2019 in Daz Studio Discussion

Hi all, i have a big problem. For a week I have a new video card, a RTX 2080. I have DAZ updated to the latest version, since I tried to render with IRAY, both the Photoreal Device and Interactive Device with both GPU and CPU. , the renderings are very slow, the mouse jumps, stops and there are tens of minutes to calculate renderings that, with a GTX 1070, it took me 2 minutes to calculate.
I know that an i7 4790k is not the last model but still a CPU still performing, it seems strange that I have a bottleneck so serious as not to be able to render a simple scene! If i disable the check mark at the CPU, in the two options of Iray, the scene simply becomes black.
Now I wonder, DAZ needs updates for the RTX series, as happened for the series 10 or I have a bottleneck that can not even render scenes for 2 minutes with my last GPU before the RTX 2080?

Post edited by RCR-2631227 on

Comments

• surodysurody Posts: 261
    edited January 2019
    When you talking about the newest version, do you mean 4.10 or 4.11 beta. Also don't use cpu and gpu together. The CPU bottlenecks the 2080 in iray. And don't forget to activate the acceleration
    Post edited by surody on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Yes you don’t want to render on your CPU with Iray, thats why you have your GTX2080! 

You need at least 4.11 beta for the 2080 to work afaik, NOT the current release 4.10

• Hi! thanks a lot for for answers! yes, i have the last stable version, not the beta! Usually i prefer the stable versions to the beta, so I have not evaluated to download the beta!
    Regarding the rendering with the CPU, I take this opportunity to ask you all, my project is also to buy an i9 9900k, in a few months, in that case i can use it together with the GPU?

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    edited January 2019

The i9 wont render anywhere near as quick as the Threadripper I use, and you 2080 will wipe the floor with said Threadripper; that being said, if the scene wont fit and drops to CPU it might achieve semi-decept times.

The Threadripper is the first AMD CPU I've had in ten years (I started with an Intel i7 920, which used tripple channel RAM.), and my next CPU will be the new Threadripper due in a few weeks - presuming we see the expected performance.

Post edited by nicstt on
  • PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633
    edited January 2019

Hi! thanks a lot for for answers! yes, i have the last stable version, not the beta! Usually i prefer the stable versions to the beta, so I have not evaluated to download the beta!
    Regarding the rendering with the CPU, I take this opportunity to ask you all, my project is also to buy an i9 9900k, in a few months, in that case i can use it together with the GPU?

Using the CPU is like *really inefficient* for Iray. Like it doesn’t contribute much. Its like using the wrong gear while driving, lots of revs but little performance/traction. Its far wiser I think to add an extra GPU card. Use your CPU for what it does best.

Post edited by Paintbox on