How to rename a surface ?

Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,559

Hi,

I need to rename a surface but I didn't find how to do it yet. Can you help me please ?

Comments

• You can use the Geometry Editor tool - the existing groups and surfaces are shown in the Tool Settings pane when it is active, and can be renamed by double-clicking. Bear in mnd that renaming a surface will break any material presets.

• Noah LGPNoah LGP Posts: 2,559

Ok, thank you.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,228

Jen Greenlees posted a YouTube video about a week ago saying that to change a surface name you have to delete it and create a new surface. Is that just wrong? Your recommendation sounds so much more logical, Richard.

• EsemwyEsemwy Posts: 578
    barbult said:

Jen Greenlees posted a YouTube video about a week ago saying that to change a surface name you have to delete it and create a new surface. Is that just wrong? Your recommendation sounds so much more logical, Richard.

Yeah. I saw Jen’s video, but can confirm she did it the hard way. 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,228
    Thanks, I thought that seemed ridiculously hard for such a simple thing.
  • hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649

One really needs a twisted mind to understand the "logic" behind DAZ UI... One needs to use the Geometry Editor Tool to rename the Surface...

Thanks Richard. 

• One really needs a twisted mind to understand the "logic" behind DAZ UI... One needs to use the Geometry Editor Tool to rename the Surface...

Thanks Richard. 

A surface is a geometry group, using the Geometry Editor to edit seems sensible (it's just that it's a very minor use of a tool with far more depth).

• hansolocambohansolocambo Posts: 649

One really needs a twisted mind to understand the "logic" behind DAZ UI... One needs to use the Geometry Editor Tool to rename the Surface...

Thanks Richard. 

A surface is a geometry group, using the Geometry Editor to edit seems sensible (it's just that it's a very minor use of a tool with far more depth).

We can't rename a surface, from the surface tab, using the surface selection tool.

It's just, among so many other UI choices : a weird one. But it's just a point of view. 

• edited April 30

I know I am commenting on an old post but I remember doing this years ago, and then forgot how to do it.

I googled trying to find the answer and it was more infuriating as I knew it was possible.

The answer is the geometry editor but with the tool settings Tab Docked

Tool Settings.jpg
    1716 x 1266 - 279K
    Post edited by felldude_a7e146142b on