Princess Leia Outfit

I've looked just about everywhere for the outfit that Leia wears in A New Hope, but have had no luck. There's a slave outfit for V4, but I'm surprised no one has made this. Does anyone know the best clothing I could kitbash in order to get a good approximation? 

Thanks!

02a713eb93793c186e21be4a527686e7[1].jpg
576 x 1010 - 42K

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

I've looked just about everywhere for the outfit that Leia wears in A New Hope, but have had no luck. There's a slave outfit for V4, but I'm surprised no one has made this. Does anyone know the best clothing I could kitbash in order to get a good approximation? 

Thanks!

Why would you be surprised? Most stuff like this never gets made because of copyright and/or fear of any repercussions if the studio or copyright holder ever found out and wanted to do something about it. In the flightsim world there were many users developing 3D Cessna type aircraft for use in the sim till Cessna eventually stepped in and threatened lawsuits. Now the only ones developing them are the commercial developers who have to pay Cessna for the license to do it.

For the record I would love a dforce version of that outfit myself, but I am not going to hold my breath, LOL

• Why would you be surprised? Most stuff like this never gets made because of copyright and/or fear of any repercussions if the studio or copyright holder ever found out and wanted to do something about it. In the flightsim world there were many users developing 3D Cessna type aircraft for use in the sim till Cessna eventually stepped in and threatened lawsuits. Now the only ones developing them are the commercial developers who have to pay Cessna for the license to do it.

For the record I would love a dforce version of that outfit myself, but I am not going to hold my breath, LOL

I don't agree. There are a gazillion Star Wars free models--everything from ships/vehicles to alien heads to that %^& Captive Leia* costume mentioned by the OP. There's even a few commercial products that have never attracted the attention of Lucasfim/Disney's legal department--some of them in the store here--I even own several.

Now I would love a model that looks close to the Ep. 4 Leia gown myself--for G3F or earlier, since I don't do G8.

*Captive Leia is much preferred over slave Leia in the SW cosplay/costuming community

• joseftjoseft Posts: 310

Why would you be surprised? Most stuff like this never gets made because of copyright and/or fear of any repercussions if the studio or copyright holder ever found out and wanted to do something about it. In the flightsim world there were many users developing 3D Cessna type aircraft for use in the sim till Cessna eventually stepped in and threatened lawsuits. Now the only ones developing them are the commercial developers who have to pay Cessna for the license to do it.

I don't agree. There are a gazillion Star Wars free models--everything from ships/vehicles to alien heads to that %^& Captive Leia* costume mentioned by the OP. There's even a few commercial products that have never attracted the attention of Lucasfim/Disney's legal department--some of them in the store here--I even own several.

Now I would love a model that looks close to the Ep. 4 Leia gown myself--for G3F or earlier, since I don't do G8.

*Captive Leia is much preferred over slave Leia in the SW cosplay/costuming community

Creating and distributing items/assets/characters for free is not likely to attract legal attention, which is why there is plenty of free stuff available. 

Once a profit is being made, the copyright holder is much more likely to get involved because that is a loss for them. I think the commercial products you are referring to are items/assets that are similar or nearly identical to something from star wars, but are not named or marketed as such. Products like an alienoid character that is very similar to a twi'lek but not identical and carefully marketed to avoid any relation to star wars. 

I dont recall any products sold in the store that are specifically marketed as star wars items or named as the same as star wars characters etc

• I think the problem is that there's just not that much interest in Star Wars models.  Most of what is available is decades old, made back in the days of Poser 4 and Generation 3 and 4.  Very few new items have appeared, and what has is stil based on Generation 4 or is a conversion of an older item to the current platforms.

There hasn't been a new Vader set, or a new X-Wing, or new morphs of the different characters (regardless of trilogy/era) in years.  You would think here'd have been at last ONE morph of Daisy Ridley as Rey released since Force Awakens, right? Adam Driver as Kylo Ren?  Nope.  We've seen Ren's mask/robes, we'e seen the new Stormtroopers, even BB-8.  Nothing of the new X-Wing design, the new Millenium Falcon, none of the characters, new or old.  There just doesn't seem to be any interest.

• Phoenix1966Phoenix1966 Posts: 1,562
    edited January 2019

You would think here'd have been at last ONE morph of Daisy Ridley as Rey released since Force Awakens, right? Adam Driver as Kylo Ren?  Nope.  

I would say this Michel 8 character is more than a passing nod to Adam Driver.

Post edited by Phoenix1966 on
  • joseftjoseft Posts: 310

You would think here'd have been at last ONE morph of Daisy Ridley as Rey released since Force Awakens, right? Adam Driver as Kylo Ren?  Nope.  

I would say this Michel 8 character is more than a passing nod to Adam Driver.

You are not wrong there

• LotharenLotharen Posts: 282
    edited January 2019

It really looks like a long sleeve night dress that is ankle length with a rolled down turtlneck top. That part alone is fair game - can't copywright the dress. Its the belt, shoes and blaster that add the iconic status to the get-up that will get you in trouble. Change those and any PA should be fine - perhaps even adjusting the shape in small measures to ensure avoiding any Imperial entanglements. ;)

Might have to give a crack at that in MD 

Post edited by Lotharen on
  • OdaaOdaa Posts: 1,548

Thanks!

Try Morphing Fantasy Dress with whichever of the expansion packs come with that style of flared sleeves, or use dforce and set the expand contract ratio on the sleeves to 105% or more. If you want to try texturing the MFD, SnowSultan has some marked up UV maps that show the material zones for MFD and other useful details, and there's a texturing tutorial on Chohole's website using the MFD as a guinea pig.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    edited January 2019

I think the problem is that there's just not that much interest in Star Wars models.  Most of what is available is decades old, made back in the days of Poser 4 and Generation 3 and 4.  Very few new items have appeared, and what has is stil based on Generation 4 or is a conversion of an older item to the current platforms.

There hasn't been a new Vader set, or a new X-Wing, or new morphs of the different characters (regardless of trilogy/era) in years.  You would think here'd have been at last ONE morph of Daisy Ridley as Rey released since Force Awakens, right? Adam Driver as Kylo Ren?  Nope.  We've seen Ren's mask/robes, we'e seen the new Stormtroopers, even BB-8.  Nothing of the new X-Wing design, the new Millenium Falcon, none of the characters, new or old.  There just doesn't seem to be any interest.

I think there is an interest among users.  I'm one of them.

Post edited by tkdrobert on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022

I think the problem is that there's just not that much interest in Star Wars models.  Most of what is available is decades old, made back in the days of Poser 4 and Generation 3 and 4.  Very few new items have appeared, and what has is stil based on Generation 4 or is a conversion of an older item to the current platforms.

There are clothes and characters quite obviously inspired by recent Star Wars movies available at Renderosity.

• tkdroberttkdrobert Posts: 3,532
    Leana said:

There are clothes and characters quite obviously inspired by recent Star Wars movies available at Renderosity.

I have the one that looks like Rey's outfit from the TFA.  What others have you found?

• HaruchaiHaruchai Posts: 1,884

I do agree with the OP though, it is strange this dress never appeared, I have several variations of the hair but no matching dress. I would have thought the hair was harder to do, especially as this screams dForce/dynamic.

• There are still SW freebies being released, such as different versions of BB8 and the Death Trooper. And there are still lightsabers being sold in the Daz store. I bought one of Zeddicuss' with poses for G3 and G8 around Christmastime. Regarding the Leia dress, there's no reason why someone couldn't create something similar, market it as Seventies Princess, include color schemes other than white,and sell it. As long as the same hairstyle isn't used in the promos, and it isn't bundled with a blaster and a wig, it seems fair. That type of flowing dress is a very Seventies style.