Difficulty deleting stuuf from scene

Is anyone else having difficulty making stuff go away in a scene when there's a megaton loaded? I'm using the latest public build, have a i7 and 20g of ram, and DS goes unresponsive when I try to delete a chunk of the scene.

Comments

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I've always had that problem. When you get a mega-ton number of items in your scene and need to delete some stuff, start 1 at a time with the simplest items first. The less in the scene, the quicker things will start to delete. In otherwords, don't try to delete a figure fist, delete that table with only a few polys.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I have a scene file that I absolutely cannot delete a particular environment out of so I put it in a group & hide the group. Can't delete that group either. DAZ simply freezes and won't respond again. I have to use Windows to kill DAZ process. It's a somewhat bigger than average enviroment but certainly far from the biggest. 

• kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I've made the mistake of either trying to delete too many items at once, or delete an item that was pretty complex before removing the little stuff. I had to leave DS sit for a couple of hours where it seemed like it was frozen and not responding, but it did eventually delete the item.

• FirstBastionFirstBastion Posts: 7,330

Switch your view to flat shaded or wire frame before you load the scene. Usually makes it easier to move around the scene. Then delete from the scene hierarchy. 

• I've always had that problem. When you get a mega-ton number of items in your scene and need to delete some stuff, start 1 at a time with the simplest items first. The less in the scene, the quicker things will start to delete. In otherwords, don't try to delete a figure fist, delete that table with only a few polys.

I will do that from now on, I'm just soooooo impatient!

I have a scene file that I absolutely cannot delete a particular environment out of so I put it in a group & hide the group. Can't delete that group either. DAZ simply freezes and won't respond again. I have to use Windows to kill DAZ process. It's a somewhat bigger than average enviroment but certainly far from the biggest. 

I hear you! I've been doing that too...and then you realise you didn't save before trying to delete and argh!!

Switch your view to flat shaded or wire frame before you load the scene. Usually makes it easier to move around the scene. Then delete from the scene hierarchy. 

I've tried what you suggested, still too big and DS still goes unresponsive. I'll bite off smaller chunks from now on. But thanks for the tip anyway, it sure makes it easier to move around :)

• jardinejardine Posts: 1,190

a workaround i use is to just save the scene elements you want to keep as a scene subset--or as groups of scene subsets if you have a bunch of them. then start fresh with a new scene and load them in.  just make sure you've saved your lights and your render settings as welll, if you've spent a lot of time fiddling around with your HDR and your light placements. 

it's a little work, but it's often a lot faster than waiting for studio to plow through a massive hierarchical delete. 

j