how to create initial morphs for 'Classic Long Hair with Dforce'

Having this problem with Linday's 'classic long hair dforce'.  In tutorial one, which comes with the hair, it explains how to create an initial custom hair shape, before simulating.  In brief, this is done by simulating the hair in a new position (for gravity's sake) and then exporting the shape in base resolution, as an object file.  You then clear the simulation and load the saved shape, using Morph Loader Pro, in order to start a new simulation and get a drape effect that is not possible with the generic shapes.  

The problem for me, is that when I get to the stage of loading a morph, using Morph Loader Pro, I get an error message saying:  WARNING: Geometry doesn't match - failed to create morph.

I've watched the video (tutorial One) repeatedly and cannot see what I'm doing wrong.  I was thinking it might be a settings issue for either exporting or importing.  If anyone can shed some light on this, would be most grateful.    

Comments

• MelissaGTMelissaGT Posts: 2,610

Do you have everything else in the scene hidden when you export?

• Yes, nothing else visible in the scene.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Nathuado said:

Having this problem with Linday's 'classic long hair dforce'.  In tutorial one, which comes with the hair, it explains how to create an initial custom hair shape, before simulating.  In brief, this is done by simulating the hair in a new position (for gravity's sake) and then exporting the shape in base resolution, as an object file.  You then clear the simulation and load the saved shape, using Morph Loader Pro, in order to start a new simulation and get a drape effect that is not possible with the generic shapes.  

The problem for me, is that when I get to the stage of loading a morph, using Morph Loader Pro, I get an error message saying:  WARNING: Geometry doesn't match - failed to create morph.

I've watched the video (tutorial One) repeatedly and cannot see what I'm doing wrong.  I was thinking it might be a settings issue for either exporting or importing.  If anyone can shed some light on this, would be most grateful.    

In export settings did you make sure "remove unused vertices" was unchecked?

• Also, make sure that the eyelashes were hidden - they are easy to miss, assuming you are using a Genesis 8 figure.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Export at base resolution. If subd is on anything your are exporting and importing as a morph, it wont work

• Followed all suggestions and success!  Not sure exactly which suggestion did the trick, but this time I changed the subd of the hair to 0.  By default it is set to 2.  Thanks for all your comments. 

• wsgentrywsgentry Posts: 572

This is great information!  Can you post some examples of initial shapes you have done?  It would be helpful because I've tried to write Linday (back in October) and got zero response (it was about using wind nodes and his hair products). 

Thank you!

Scott

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    Nathuado said:

Followed all suggestions and success!  Not sure exactly which suggestion did the trick, but this time I changed the subd of the hair to 0.  By default it is set to 2.  Thanks for all your comments. 

That would work; selecting Base Resolution does the same, and then no need to remember what it was before changing.

• LindayLinday Posts: 85

Hi there,

In video tutorial " Create Custom Initial Morph" is in the second minute of the video text that says that hair has to be exported in Base Resolution as OBJ.

Wind Node is mentioned in PDF Introduction in section Knowledge and Known Issues - we are openly saying that with Wind Node hair doesn´t work well and we didn´t find a way how to fix it.

And yeah, we know that all those Tutorials can be overwhelming and not everyone has patience to go through all of them ( and that music smiley....and PDF!), we were trying to put there all the informations we thought might be useful, though. 

Thanks

• nicstt said:
    Nathuado said:

Followed all suggestions and success!  Not sure exactly which suggestion did the trick, but this time I changed the subd of the hair to 0.  By default it is set to 2.  Thanks for all your comments. 

That would work; selecting Base Resolution does the same, and then no need to remember what it was before changing.

Linday said:

Hi there,

In video tutorial " Create Custom Initial Morph" is in the second minute of the video text that says that hair has to be exported in Base Resolution as OBJ.

Wind Node is mentioned in PDF Introduction in section Knowledge and Known Issues - we are openly saying that with Wind Node hair doesn´t work well and we didn´t find a way how to fix it.

And yeah, we know that all those Tutorials can be overwhelming and not everyone has patience to go through all of them ( and that music smiley....and PDF!), we were trying to put there all the informations we thought might be useful, though. 

Thanks

After selecting 'Base Resolution' for the hair, I noticed that the Subd level and Subd Level minimum values were still at 2.  I had to manually change the values to 0.  

• Hey Linday, first of all: thank you for this amazing product and all the tutorials and explanations. Really helpful.
    I was wondering if there is any progress by now on how to get the hair to work with Wind Node? It actually think the hair responds perfectly well to the Wind Node, when you simulate a current frame. But I'm having trouble when simulating an animation. The Wind Node suddenly doesn't seem to affect the hair. It would be awesome if this could somehow be solved.

Linday said:

Hi there,

Thanks

• ZincauZincau Posts: 0

I tried everything you mentioned above but i still have same problem.. WARNING: Geometry doesn't match - failed to create morph. Any other suggestions please?