DSON all but scuppers use of Poser Pro 2014

edited December 1969 in Poser Discussion

Poser Pro 2014 runs on my system perfectly. I can load and use all DAZ products on it prior to those that require DSON. As soon as I load anything that uses DSON, it renders Poser all but unusable - its operations (especially library functions) become as sluggish as if the system had actually stalled. Closing and re-opening Poser obviously solves the problem - but it does mean that all DAZ products post Genesis and DSON are effectively unusable to me.

I have seen threads indicating that others have experienced the same problem.

Has anyone any real insight into this? It is not caused by lack of disk-space, or an inferior PC. Even systems with the highest punch (in terms of processing speeds, number of processors, RAM and disk-space) are prone to this problem.

Comments

• pwiecekpwiecek Posts: 1,540
    edited October 2013

DSON is a script. With most scripts, you start up the script, let it do its thing and then you continue doing interactive things when the script is finished. With DSON, that script has to interpret everything you try to do.

No matter what, running a script on top of a CPU intensive graphics system is not ideal.

I only use DSON when there is a truly unique Genesis outfit and then only long enough to export the CR2 to be converted with crossdresser or Wardrobe Wizard.

I'll live without Genesis 2 until XD supports it.

Post edited by pwiecek on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,064
    edited December 1969

DSON is a file format, the DSON Importer for Poser is a plugin that can be run via a Python script. If you want DSON format content in your scene try turning sub-division off on it until you are ready to render and see if that helps with speed - Script>DSON Support>Sub-Division menu.

• edited December 1969

Yeah, DSON really sucks up the process too much. I had to uninstall it after trying everything I found for it.
    Shame, it would have been good to work with, I have so much content for Genesis.

I did find however, for those who come across this thread, that the cr2 exporter works very well into Poser and the morphs for Genesis get carried over as well.

Still working out the odd bits for clothing etc - but overall it works well enough.

DorianC

• WandWWandW Posts: 2,787
    edited December 1969

Did you try the latest version? I've been using the beta and it was quite a bit faster, and I see the Public version has been released recently....

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited December 1969

Yeah, DSON really sucks up the process too much. I had to uninstall it after trying everything I found for it.
    Shame, it would have been good to work with, I have so much content for Genesis.

I did find however, for those who come across this thread, that the cr2 exporter works very well into Poser and the morphs for Genesis get carried over as well.

Still working out the odd bits for clothing etc - but overall it works well enough.

DorianC

I've run the Importer on my old 4 Meg Core 2 Duo as well as my new 12 Gig i7 system, and I've never experienced the kind of slowdown that some of you are experiencing.

• edited December 1969

To all who have offered comment and suggestions, many thanks for your help and willingness to help. You have deepened my understanding and I am grateful. After reading around and attempting to resolve the issue, I have found the (temporary) solution.

DSON can cause Poser's library to freeze. Why is not clear. Other generically similar bugs have been successively eliminated with successive releases of DSON.

The solution is to change the "Launch behavior" of the library in Poser from "Embedded" (the default) to "External". Do this through "Edit/General Preferences/Library Tab". This done, everything works perfectly and normally.

Whether this is unique to Poser Pro or not , I do not know.

I hope this helps anyone experiencing the same problem.

Thanks to DAZ for fantastic products, and good luck to the programmers in resolving this issue! At last I can use the many benefits of all post-Genesis products.