What is new 'single scattering'?

HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921
edited January 2019 in Carrara Discussion

Hya I have been reading the manul and discoverd all sorts of stuff.... like you can do rainbows in te sky editor - never knew that

I came across this in the Carrara 7 manual.

Shading and Lighting

New Transparency with Absorption: Transparencies now support realistic absorption functions. This feature is ideal for simulating shallow water.

New Single Scattering: This new feature is used to simulate light from small particles that are inside a medium. For example, you can use it to simulate steam in the atmosphere. It is an indirect lighting effect that can also be used to simulate water more accurately.

I've been through the manual a few times and the only reference I can find to scattering is 'subsurface' - any other data people have ?

thanks in advance :)

edit found something here https://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/772075/

edit nice blog post by sparrowhawke http://sparrowhawke3d.com/blog/2015/07/02/murky-water/

Post edited by Headwax on

Comments

• I'd say that is a typing error and refers to Absorption and in-scattering which were added to the Transparency channel in Carrara 6.  There are no further details in the user manual around page 573 when the Transparency channel is described.  I did refer to using Absorption in that blog and you can test it quite easily by setting a Attenuation distance and putting an object in the water.

I haven't tested In-Scattering but that What's New description links it to Indirect Lighting so it would be worth running some tests and turn its effects up to full and see what it does.  In my own notes I have it down as having little or no useful effect but I don't remember testing it with Indirect Lighting.  No idea what they might have meant about "steam in the atmosphere".

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Very happy I discovered your blog too - amazing plugins you have created!

cheers from here :)

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,921

Oh just re-found this neat video by Mark Bremer