School Bus??

It occured to me that Daz already has many classroom sets as well as school related products but oddly the one thing missing is a really good model of a REALISTIC school bus. I would love to see such a product. There's even one product in the store which shows the exterior of a school. A bus or two would look perfect beside it. 

If anyone would be interested, my only requirements would be to make sure both the doors and windows open and close, particularly the doors because I would like to be able to show students getting on and off the bus. Also, I would like to be able to do interior as well as exterior shots so the model would need to be able to be used both ways. 

Lastly, I'm very serious about wanting this done. If it would help, I don't know if this is appropriate or not, I'd even be willing to comission it. 

Thanks!

Comments

• The latter link, I had purchased that bus very recently!  It looks pretty awesome!  Perfect for school bus rides in my upcoming animated series!

• Wow!! I agree with JonSea31, that bus by GreenPots looks exactly like the kind of thing I had in mind and for 6 bucks, you can't really go wrong. Couple questions though, I've never completely gotten the hang of changing shaders or exactly how there supposed to work. I tried a couple times before without much success. I also purchased RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter, which also didn't work as well as I had expected or perhaps I'm doing something wrong but here's what I would like to know...

1. Will that bus model (The one by GreenPots) will it work in Daz Studio 4.10? It looks as though it was originally designed for Poser. 

2. If I were to change the shaders, where could I find ones which would be compatible with the original materials used in that model? 

Thanks again!!

• I bought the GreenPots one ages ago....  Never got around to using it yet, though, since I have several other 3D-rendered stories in the pipeline before I get to the ones with the bus in them.  The other one has been on my wishlist there for awhile, though.

• frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052
    edited December 2018

I have the Greenpots. version, too, and converted it manually to Iray. I've run a comparison render of the Iray and default versions, and it looks okay in middle to distant positions, but closeups are not great, unless you want to put in a lot of work fixing details. EDIT:  IRAY ON LEFT, DEFAULT ON RIGHT - Image only rendered to 50%, but it gives you the idea)

BusCompared.jpg
    1900 x 1267 - 2M
    Post edited by frankrblow on
  • Wow!! I agree with JonSea31, that bus by GreenPots looks exactly like the kind of thing I had in mind and for 6 bucks, you can't really go wrong. Couple questions though, I've never completely gotten the hang of changing shaders or exactly how there supposed to work. I tried a couple times before without much success. I also purchased RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter, which also didn't work as well as I had expected or perhaps I'm doing something wrong but here's what I would like to know...

1. Will that bus model (The one by GreenPots) will it work in Daz Studio 4.10? It looks as though it was originally designed for Poser. 

2. If I were to change the shaders, where could I find ones which would be compatible with the original materials used in that model? 

Thanks again!!

1. Yes, the model works in DAZ Studio 4.10.  Even though it is a .pz3 file, you just have to drag the file and drop it into a DAZ Studio scene.

2. That, I have no clue.

• ArtAngelArtAngel Posts: 1,511

I have the Greenpots. version, too, and converted it manually to Iray. I've run a comparison render of the Iray and default versions, and it looks okay in middle to distant positions, but closeups are not great, unless you want to put in a lot of work fixing details. EDIT:  IRAY ON LEFT, DEFAULT ON RIGHT - Image only rendered to 50%, but it gives you the idea)

Been looking for a realistic school bustoo but for me this one looks toonish like a plastic toy. I save all my 186 vehicles under vehicles so digging this up was easy but the problem is when I went to find the url for you it appears to be no longer available. It's the closest I found (a Bryce product).

nimos bus.JPG
    1237 x 948 - 135K
  • I feel so stupid sometimes!! Ok, so here's where I'm at. I just purchased the bus a few minutes ago. I downloaded the file, unzipped it, manually copied and pasted everything into the right places. Here's the problem, I can't find the bus!! 

When I go to props, under the content library and open up the greenpots folder, all I see are parts of the bus, not the bus as a whole. The free car is there but not the bus. So my question is am I looking in the wrong place or did I not install something correctly?? 

Thanks!

• Nevermind! I figured out my mistake. However, here's a strange thing. Ok, so I loaded the bus, added skydome but the wheels appear white! Hmmm, very odd! 

Also, I ran RSSY 3Delight to Iray Converter before rendering

school bus.jpg
    1300 x 1000 - 983K
  • If I were to change the shaders, where could I find ones which would be compatible with the original materials used in that model?

You probably don't want to change all the shaders. Here's what I tend to do:

• Select the bus, select all its surfaces, and run the !Iray Uber Base shader  (from My DAZ3D Library > Shader Presets > DAZ Uber). This converts all the bus's existing surfaces to use the iray shader, and is all you need to do in many cases. 
    • Surfaces often look just a bit too bright in iray, you can counteract that by adding some grey to the Base Color.
    • Iray has significantly different handling of special surfaces like metal and glass, so for surfaces like the bus windows and the mirrors you might want to abandon the orignal surfaces and apply completely new shaders - you can find some suitable examples in the same directoy as the Uber Base shader.
  • If I were to change the shaders, where could I find ones which would be compatible with the original materials used in that model?

• Select the bus, select all its surfaces, and run the !Iray Uber Base shader  (from My DAZ3D Library > Shader Presets > DAZ Uber). This converts all the bus's existing surfaces to use the iray shader, and is all you need to do in many cases. 
    • Surfaces often look just a bit too bright in iray, you can counteract that by adding some grey to the Base Color.
    • Iray has significantly different handling of special surfaces like metal and glass, so for surfaces like the bus windows and the mirrors you might want to abandon the orignal surfaces and apply completely new shaders - you can find some suitable examples in the same directoy as the Uber Base shader.

Yes...  the thin glass shader works very well for windows.  Also a great free source of automotive textures is tom2099 on sharecg. 

hmmmm, little confused here. Did you mean under "content library"? Because under that, I checked everything in materials and didn't see anything DAZ Uber or Uber Base shader. 

hmmmm, little confused here. Did you mean under "content library"? Because under that, I checked everything in materials and didn't see anything DAZ Uber or Uber Base shader. 

On my system at least, under the Content Library tab its located (in my Daz Library) at ... > Shaders Presets > Iray > DAZ Uber, and in there, the shader you want is the upper left in there, !Iray Uber Base.

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

I find the yellow on these models to be too lemon-yellow.  The school buses I see go past my house seem to lean a little more toward the orange side of yellow.

Dana

On my system at least, under the Content Library tab its located (in my Daz Library) at ... > Shaders Presets > Iray > DAZ Uber, and in there, the shader you want is the upper left in there, !Iray Uber Base.

Ok, well on my system it's located under Smart Content/Shaders/Defauft Resources/Shaders. So, I selected the bus and made sure all the materials were selected under the Surfaces tab, then applied the Uber Base. To be honest, I can't see that it made any real difference at all. (see below) Now, again, I'm a beginner so perhaps I'm doing something wrong or leaving out a step but nothing appears to have changed. Does anyone here get different results? If so, I would like to see and figure out why mine is turning out the way it is. 

Thanks again!

bus.jpg
    955 x 881 - 684K
  • frankrblowfrankrblow Posts: 2,052

It's been quite a while since I coverted mine to Iray, but I think I did have issues with some surfaces, so I just found what I needed (tom2099's free Iray shaders mentioned above) and applied things like rubber shaders. Then saved the bus as a scene-subset. Customize! You can sometimes learn more by fiddling than by reading wink

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,563

For those still looking, on sale at the moment and the .OBJ version should import into DS fine.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/vehicle/bus/hq-retro-school-bus

• DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,086

For those still looking, on sale at the moment and the .OBJ version should import into DS fine.

https://www.cgtrader.com/3d-models/vehicle/bus/hq-retro-school-bus

The color on that one looks more like it!

Dana