Alembic Exporter

What is the status of the alembic exporter? Is anyone able to use this for production work?

Trying to export a scene gives an "unknown error". Searching the forums shows that there are various issues reported. There is even a mention that DAZ has removed posts about the alembic exporter bugs because "stating that DAZ is selling a broken plug-in is clearly an accusation of wrong-doing and as such is against the forum TOS."

If we buy assets for DAZ that we export though alembic, and the exporter suddenly stops working, there is no way we can use these assets in our pipeline anymore, so any bug in the exporter should be taken very seriously by DAZ.

I would say that any "unknown error" can clearly be classified as a bug. If the exporter fails for a valid reason, the reason should be clearly stated.

Comments

• OnlyLuvsCatzOnlyLuvsCatz Posts: 22,283

try staying under 200 frames

that helps a lot

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 2,468
    gyltefors said:

What is the status of the alembic exporter? Is anyone able to use this for production work?

Trying to export a scene gives an "unknown error". Searching the forums shows that there are various issues reported. There is even a mention that DAZ has removed posts about the alembic exporter bugs because "stating that DAZ is selling a broken plug-in is clearly an accusation of wrong-doing and as such is against the forum TOS."

If we buy assets for DAZ that we export though alembic, and the exporter suddenly stops working, there is no way we can use these assets in our pipeline anymore, so any bug in the exporter should be taken very seriously by DAZ.

I would say that any "unknown error" can clearly be classified as a bug. If the exporter fails for a valid reason, the reason should be clearly stated.

I use the MDD exporter from aniMate 2 full version.

(Too many negative reports from other DS about the alembic exporter)

I have 61 completed  minutes  of a feature length animated film
    created with Daz assets with animated characters rendered in Maxon Cinema4D
    Vai MDD driven meshes .
    No frame limits no problems with scene item naming conventions etc.

Sample:

I even use MDD for exporing animated cloth simulation from Daz studio 

• RobotHeadArtRobotHeadArt Posts: 718

There are two bugs I have run into with the Alembic Exporter.  One is that it reverses the normals which has been fixed in the DAZ Studio 4.11 beta.  The other one, that causes "unknown error" is when there are two of the same object in the scene that is being exported.  IE two Genesis 3 Females.  This is super annoying for trying to export whole scenes as usually there is something duplicated (ie two of the same lamp or wall or chairs etc.).  This one has not been fixed as far as I can tell.

• I thought I would add that I have not managed to get the Alembic exporter to work with Unreal. So if that is your target workflow you might want to think twice. Here is a more extensive post: https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/924479/view.html. The bottom line is that the FBX from DAZ to Unreal works fine but the Alembic import has an issue with the texture which you can see most obviously in the eyebrows. I've raised this with both DAZ and Unreal but I don't know where the fault lies... It could be the exporter, it could be the Unreal import, it could be I have not hit upon the correct settings that will make it work. I did find a post that showed the same problem with Octane and it looks like it was fixed so I tend to think that Unreal might be the ones to fix this.alt text

• You need to reapply transpaency settings to the eye surface, and the transparency map to the lashes if I understand the issue you are seeing

• Its not the eye surface ... I just didn't bother fully mapping the textures. Take a look at the eyebrows. The one on the right shows them correctly. The one on the left shows them 'blocky'. If you look at the rest of the head surface you can see the blocky results too. Its as if the texture on each polygon does not line up.

• smaker1smaker1 Posts: 153

Its not the eye surface ... I just didn't bother fully mapping the textures. Take a look at the eyebrows. The one on the right shows them correctly. The one on the left shows them 'blocky'. If you look at the rest of the head surface you can see the blocky results too. Its as if the texture on each polygon does not line up.

I had the same problem with Octane. There is one option in the DS4 alembic export that cause the trouble : Preservation of subdivision surface must be unticked if I remember well. 

Octane people said to me it was a problem with the exporter (4 years ago !) . I opened a ticket and it was the answer.

I didn't try with Octane V4 as I only use alembic on very specific cases.  

abc export.jpg
    1283 x 1004 - 291K
  • It's the vertex order affecting the UV map. Daz seems to reckon vertices in a different order than both Alembic and Wavefront. I thought the 4.12 Alembic Exporter fixed that?

• In my experience, the Preserving SubD option is useless for getting Daz shapes into Blender because Blender doesn't use OSD. But OSD is expected in the future months, and I think it's been in a dev branch for a while, if I was following the conversation correctly.