Problem with materials from Hex to DAZ Studio

XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
edited December 1969 in Hexagon Discussion

Hello!

I have created a simple sphere, UV mapped it, assigned all faces to 1 shading domain and created a new material for it. It is the only material for the sphere, named "surface". See the Hexagon screenshot.

Now, when I bring this sphere over to DAZ Studio via the bridge, I suddenly have a second material for the sphere, named "def_surf_mat". See the DAZ screenshot.

Why is that so? How can I get rid of that second material? How can I prevent Hex or Studio from creating it?

Thanks for your answers!

1.jpg
587 x 288 - 72K

Comments

• XoechZXoechZ Posts: 1,102
    edited December 1969

Edit:

Now I tried it with exporting as .obj from Hex and import that in DAZ Studio. This way everything is perfect. So it seems to be a problem with the bridge. Too bad, the bridge is nice and fast to work with. But useless with such issues.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited October 2013

Actually, more often or not the default mat that suddenly appears is mostly caused by stray or duplicate verts not being attributed to a shading domain/material in Hexagon. Also hidden parts of your model likewise often are not attributed to the shading domain/materials if one does not ensure that all of the relevant faces/tessellations/verts have been selected prior to creation of the material zone(s).

In simple terms if you are creating a model with a single material all over then unless you select the semi-transparent mode when you highlight the object there is the distinct possibility that you can miss any of the three constituents that form the model.

Stray verts for example for some unknown reason could be upto a couple of metres away from the actual model and being so small are virtually undetectable, like wise an itsy winsy tessellation, as such, they will not have been within the shading domain/material zone when selected so therefore have none; as such Hexagon automatically assigns the default shader.

What to do about the default shader? Simple, just delete it. 99 times out of a 100 all will be well. This being done before you pass it through the bridge where possible, alternatively just highlight and delete within studio. :cheese:

Post edited by RedSquare on
  • DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited December 1969

Actually, RedSquare, I would have to disagree.

I use the bridge almost exclusively even to bring in my work from Wings3D, Metasequoia, and Blender to transfer over to Studio. There is definitely a bug that adds a blank (zero facets) material domain to every mesh sent over to Studio via the bridge (even for seasoned veterans).

I agree with you that a newbie should double check their facet selection, and make sure they are creating the MAT domains correctly, but using the bridge will add an empty MAT zone even if one does it correctly.

Easy fix in Studio, though. Just go to the Polygon Selection Tab, and delete the extra added zone. It should show zero facets for the zone. If not, one has missed something in their selections, and needs to make corrections.

• RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

:-) Oh whoops; I bow to your superior knowledge as I never use the bridge or Studio even though I have the latter. So sorry folks my apologies for misleading everyone. :red:

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 2015

nm - people not reading the solutions so no point in giving them.

Post edited by patience55 on
  • stitlownstitlown Posts: 276
    edited September 2015
    RedSquare said:

What to do about the default shader? Simple, just delete it.

I must be slow or something.  I cannot see how to delete the default shader.  Can anyone point me in the right direction. (and yes - the Hex-bridge is still doing this)
    And while I'm asking, is there a way in DS to change the name of a material on an object?

Post edited by stitlown on
  • RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

I'd say this was more a Studio than a Hex problem - just tested in 5 other apps and none give that false material.  Is there a problem in having an empty shader in Studio?

As this problem still exists, I have to ask again:

How can we delete this empty material in DAZ Studio??? Please!

Thank you!

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247

What is the problem in having a blank, non-existant shader in Studio?  It is either there because not all the faces have been allocated to a shading domain, in which case it is a good warning, or it is there because Studio created it and it has no significance.

I just tested by sending a fully-allocated sphere over the bridge to Studio and sure enough, it showed a def-surf-mat with zero faces allocated.  What I did to solve was to open the Geometry Editor, select the def-surf-mat surface group, right-click on it and delete it.  Problem gone:)

The problem is, that if you create objects (props, clothes,...) for distribution (either free or commercial), such an empty material zone is not very professional and it can be irritating for the people who use it. So I want to create "clean" objects without that crazy "def-surf-mat" :-)

But thank you for answering my question. I will have a look at the Geometry Editor.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 2015

nm - the solution was written once in this thread and ça suffit, au revoir.

Post edited by patience55 on