Is there a way to tell which base figure a character goes with?

When I scroll through my characters, sometimes I forget which base they belong to. Is there a way to tell if its not in the title?

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,558

Not sure I understand the question. When you go to the content library to load the character you first go to PEOPLE - then the GENESIS figure of choice and then the character. Your character should be in the genesis figure folder it is based on

• If it's a specific morph the character needs like Zelara or Eva I don't see a way to know..

characters_daz.JPG
    738 x 806 - 43K
    edited December 2018

Where is that screen from? Oh wait, is that smart content? I never use it so don't how it is supposed to work, but if you go to the content library tab, it should tell you which genration the characters are for.

EDIT this is what i see and how I find content

files.jpg
    497 x 910 - 265K
    Post edited by FSMCDesigns on
  • jenniferhugheyjenniferhughey Posts: 404
    edited December 2018

Where is that screen from? Oh wait, is that smart content? I never use it so don't how it is supposed to work, but if you go to the content library tab, it should tell you which genration the characters are for.

It's content library..but if I look at smart content, it doesn't organize them under which character (not generation) they go with either as far as I can see. Where in that view does it show what character they are for, like a specific Eva 8 or Zelara 8 character? Or I guess a Gen3 in the case of that pic. Hope I'm not being too confusing..

Post edited by jenniferhughey on

I think I see where you are going. I don't know of a way for it to be more specific, like addons for addon characters like Eva 8 or Zelara, especially since I see them all as made for Genesis 8 and pretty much create my own out of the ones I own.

• I think I see where you are going. I don't know of a way for it to be more specific, like addons for addon characters like Eva 8 or Zelara, especially since I see them all as made for Genesis 8 and pretty much create my own out of the ones I own.

ah, okay. Thanks anyway. I know there should be a way to tell. Hopefully I won't have to make a list or something..

• HavosHavos Posts: 5,306

Mostly the product name will list the base required, eg SuchAndSo for Victoria 8. That may not happen 100% of the time, but normally the vast majority of time. A character based off the base Genesis figure, will say something like SuchAndSo for Genesis 8 Female.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Unless it's in the title - IE "Jax for Eva 8" - there's no way of knowing by just looking at the character. But when you purchased the character, you would have seen in the "required products" on the product page in the store what was required to use it. So you would know if you already have that required product when you bought it. Because you don't need to actually load the base the character is made from, I'm asking out of curiousity why you need to make a list or need to know what base a character requires to use? 

• NorthOf45NorthOf45 Posts: 5,244

If you use the character presets, it will load up whatever base figure it was designed for. Usually the sliders in the parameters/shaping tabs will control all needed inputs with one controller, sometimes not. For example, Cypher for Zelara 8 character preset uses Zelara Body and Head at 80% and Cypher at 100%, the People parameter/shaping dials for Cypher do the same, and so do the shape presets (in the Cypher character folder). The only way to know in advance is to check the product page to see what is required, but that might not tell you the mix you need, but again, if the controllers do it all, then you don't really need to know, you'll get the figure as expected.

• James_HJames_H Posts: 1,008

I do find it an annoying feature of Smart Content (which made Daz usable for me) that I can't immediately tell what's what in people. I can always right click and go to the content location, but I would think it should be possible to code the icons in some way to make clear in 'Smart' view what you are dealing with.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Personally, I don't like smart content.

Having said that, there is no way of ascertaining a character's requirements as far as I know (at least from Studio or DIM; I use my product page if I want to know more). If you own them and are required then they will get used when dialling one in; I've never seen an issue if there is a requirement and I don't own it.

Beyond the inital look after purchase, I don't actually care.

• Have you checked the tags and info tabs at the bottom of the pane - they may well be collapsed, click the little widget in the middle of the divider bar to expand.

• nicstt said:

+1 yes  Perhaps a little late for you now but I install everything manually.  Newer products unzip into sane places.  Older products need a little help but for those I've created my own "Catagories".  The trouble with using "smart" machines is that one needs to be smarter than they are when their education is found lacking. surprise

• manekiNekomanekiNeko Posts: 1,395
    edited December 2018

not sure if this is applicable to your question, if you already knew this - or if it works for every item/product - but sometimes you can track down what belongs to what by right-clicking on a product's asset's icon in smart pane & choosing "target". i use this dialog pretty often, also to find addons, materials etc

EDITED TO ADD: thx Richard for the correction

Post edited by manekiNeko on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,888

Personally I prefer DIM + tags. With tags you can add multiple dimensions of categorization, basically, while DIM managed updates and other stuff that would otherwise be a pain in the heinie.

• diogenese19348diogenese19348 Posts: 926
    edited December 2018

Personally I shove everything around when I install it.  I stick all the characters requiring a certain base with the base figure.  Yeah, I know it can create a problem with updates, but frankly I move the whole base directory so when an update happens I can just delete the user facing files entirely and replace them.  My characters end up in a directory called !people, the updates go into people, and I can easily see what needs to be changed.  The only thing (aside from data and runtime) that stays where DIM installs it is scripts - those can be unsafe to move. 

Post edited by diogenese19348 on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,833
    edited December 2018
    nicstt said:

+1 yes  Perhaps a little late for you now but I install everything manually.  Newer products unzip into sane places.  Older products need a little help but for those I've created my own "Catagories".  The trouble with using "smart" machines is that one needs to be smarter than they are when their education is found lacking. surprise

"Smart Content" and Categories both use the database, but they are not the same thing. Smart Content is the relevant one here, since it gives the compatibility of an item (and as manekiNeko says right-clicking on an asset's icon allows you to select Explore Target(s) to see the figure(s) (or whatever) that it is for.

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/smart_content/files_page/results_view/start#context_menu
    http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/referenceguide/interface/panes/smart_content/target_assets_view/start

While you can of course choose not to take advantage of these features, I would think that correcting the occasional error was less effort than manually rearranging the isntalled files - and has far less potential to introduce errors or to make updating a pain.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • not sure if this is applicable to your question, if you already knew this - or if it works for every item/product - but sometimes you can track down what belongs to what by right-clicking on a product's asset's icon in smart pane & choosing "target". i use this dialog pretty often, also to find addons, materials etc

EDITED TO ADD: thx Richard for the correction

Sorry, I didn't get alerted to these comments..This helps a bunch..a lot of the add on figures I have aren't names "so and so for Gia 8" just their name, which was frustrating. I don't use smart content normally just content library.

• Have you checked the tags and info tabs at the bottom of the pane - they may well be collapsed, click the little widget in the middle of the divider bar to expand.

Must be collapsed on mine. I'll look. Thx!

• nicstt said:

Having said that, there is no way of ascertaining a character's requirements as far as I know (at least from Studio or DIM; I use my product page if I want to know more). If you own them and are required then they will get used when dialling one in; I've never seen an issue if there is a requirement and I don't own it.

Beyond the inital look after purchase, I don't actually care.

I don't like Smart content either, I use content library.
    So the base figure gets dialed in automatically? Silly me, I've been loading the base figure first then the character I want to use. I made it more difficult than it needed to be I guess. Will try this, thx! I just wanted to be sure I get the "look" of the character.

• NorthOf45 said:

If you use the character presets, it will load up whatever base figure it was designed for. Usually the sliders in the parameters/shaping tabs will control all needed inputs with one controller, sometimes not. For example, Cypher for Zelara 8 character preset uses Zelara Body and Head at 80% and Cypher at 100%, the People parameter/shaping dials for Cypher do the same, and so do the shape presets (in the Cypher character folder). The only way to know in advance is to check the product page to see what is required, but that might not tell you the mix you need, but again, if the controllers do it all, then you don't really need to know, you'll get the figure as expected.

Ah, I didn't know that silly me. I had been loading up zelara for instance and then Cypher after. Made things harder on myself.lol.

• jakiblue said:

Unless it's in the title - IE "Jax for Eva 8" - there's no way of knowing by just looking at the character. But when you purchased the character, you would have seen in the "required products" on the product page in the store what was required to use it. So you would know if you already have that required product when you bought it. Because you don't need to actually load the base the character is made from, I'm asking out of curiousity why you need to make a list or need to know what base a character requires to use? 

I wasn't aware Daz actually dialed in the base, which makes it way easier. I was loadng the base, say Gia8 and then the character. So I was trying to figure out if i wanted to use a character how to tell what the base mosel was. Guess I'm still a noob, been doing it the long way.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Just because one owns a character doesn't mean it's installed. blush

• Spit said:

Just because one owns a character doesn't mean it's installed. blush

I use DIM after I buy, so I sure hope so..