DSON Importer for Poser 1.1.1.17 General Release, Now Available!

2»

Comments

• zaintczaintc Posts: 282
    edited December 1969

You should remove the last item -- you don't want the Runtime folder itself, just the folder containing the Runtime.

the default is this option:
    Use medadata to determine library distribution and the extension(s)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Can't you just specify the same folders that worked in 2012?

edited October 2013

In 2012 I didnt have this problem (None of this) I am just going back to 2012, this silly and I dont have a good reason to keep playing with this, ill wait for what ever is going on with 2014 to stop (meaning, let this be some else problem)

Thank you for your help

I am hoping I dont get this issue in 2012. I would hate to have to reinstall everything to make it all work (just because I didn't have system restore on, dammmm)

Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

BTW:
    I had a thought. DSON didnt install like it did for 2012. I didnt see an uninstall for it like I kept seeing for 2012, any thoughts?

edited December 1969

Now Back in Poser Pro 2012, now I am seeing this

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\Poser Pro 2012\Runtime\Python\addons\dson\__init__.py", line 14, in objectsAdded
    dson.dzdsonimporter.objectsAddonAdded(self,objects)
    SystemError: NULL result without error in PyObject_Call

• estheresther Posts: 608
    edited December 1969

my genesis figure in poser using dson has lots and lots of dials? Maybe this is one of the reason it works so slowly in poser. Is there a way, once i have created the character I want, to get rid of all the other shaping dials, just leaving pose and expression dials?
    Love esther

• TheWheelManTheWheelMan Posts: 1,014
    edited October 2013

esther said:
    my genesis figure in poser using dson has lots and lots of dials? Maybe this is one of the reason it works so slowly in poser. Is there a way, once i have created the character I want, to get rid of all the other shaping dials, just leaving pose and expression dials?
    Love esther

Genesis has a lot of dials because it has ready access to every morph that you install for it. That's what makes it so versatile as far as blending different shapes. I think any method you would use to get rid of the other dials would get rid of all of the dials, since that is the entire point of Genesis. If you got the pose and expressions the way you wanted and then exported it (maybe as an OBJ file?), that might work. But if you lose the weightmapping and the SubDivision, I'm not sure how it would look.

Post edited to remove redundant quote

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

I think though that all the millions of dials might be making it slow, and it is also slower just to find the pose and expression ones that I want. So my aim would be to make a certain character and say get rid of all the breast dials that don't apply etc. but from what I've seen it isn't possible without loosing that functionality next time I load an unmorphed V5 into my scene, as if i get rid of dials for one it gets rid of dials for all.
    It's like the old way, but injecting every single character you have and keeping that so you can make anything out of it, but I think it slows the loading down. probably slows the loading in DS too by the way. And in poser it may be slowing the useage too maybe? I don't know but i"m just trying ways to make dson work faster in poser.

edited December 1969

how does iclone work? Could i make pz3s to then put into poser for rendering? what does iclone do? does it animate cloth? can you make renders?

edited December 1969

just looked at some of their promos for iclone stuff. interesting but looks very low poly with paper thin looking clothes. but if poser stuff imports in maybe there is potential there???

edited October 2013

u can use daz with it, better than u can with poser. I like the program for what it does and will do, check the videos

Post edited by zaintc on
    edited December 1969

esther said:
    just looked at some of their promos for iclone stuff. interesting but looks very low poly with paper thin looking clothes. but if poser stuff imports in maybe there is potential there???

I enjoyed using it and then I need to go beyond it (fyi) its good for posing and some animations, it like other programs has limitations

edited December 1969

well since i don't do animations it is probably not for me. I do comic panels with sometimes closeups of various bits of the pictures. Also poser allows me to do easy tooning in the style that i like, using shaderworks toon, so I can toon a pz3 in a about 3 clicks.

edited December 1969

esther said:
    well since i don't do animations it is probably not for me. I do comic panels with sometimes closeups of various bits of the pictures. Also poser allows me to do easy tooning in the style that i like, using shaderworks toon, so I can toon a pz3 in a about 3 clicks.

I do animation not familiar with that sorry

edited December 1969

how do daz users manage when they have bought lots and lots of characters for their Genesis 2 person. won't it get absolutely huge and take them forever to scroll to the dials they want each time. when I think how many V4 characters i have it makes me wonder about this. Would it not be better to have the option to just include the morph dials that one wants in a figure? (like the old way with V4)?

edited December 1969

esther said:
    how do daz users manage when they have bought lots and lots of characters for their Genesis 2 person. won't it get absolutely huge and take them forever to scroll to the dials they want each time. when I think how many V4 characters i have it makes me wonder about this. Would it not be better to have the option to just include the morph dials that one wants in a figure? (like the old way with V4)?

Work in Daz and bring into Poser
    edited December 1969

well pz3s don't export and then there are texture differences in DS compared to poser. I think i'll probably mostly stick to V4 and M4 for the time being.

edited December 1969

esther said:
    well pz3s don't export and then there are texture differences in DS compared to poser. I think i'll probably mostly stick to V4 and M4 for the time being.
    why not just go up to v5 or better?
    edited December 1969

because I really like my tooning method in poser ie how it renders, and V5 is too slow to pose very well in poser. I own V5 and V6 and teen josie. Teen josie actually works almost fast enough to use in poser. She doesn't have as many morph dials as my freak 5.

edited December 1969

esther said:
    because I really like my tooning method in poser ie how it renders, and V5 is too slow to pose very well in poser. I own V5 and V6 and teen josie. Teen josie actually works almost fast enough to use in poser. She doesn't have as many morph dials as my freak 5.

Oh, sorry. Again not my field

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,863
    edited December 1969

esther said:

We have the groups, as Poser does in its parameters list, and we can also type part of a name to show only the nose (say) morphs. DS also doesn't load the morphs into memory (beyond their existence) until they are used. But yes, there are times it would be useful to remove some of the occasional-use morphs.

edited December 1969

well i suppose if it's not causing a problem with memory and they are tucked away nicely in submenus it would be okay.
    thanks for clarifying.
    I suppose for someone like me who has over 20 V4 characters it wouldn't be all that good maybe if I had the same for a genesis figure.

Love esther

• edited December 1969

I bought a character named "Victoria 6" yesterday, and at this occasion, I also downloaded and installed something called "DSON" - fortunately not on a productivity machine.

After searching forums all over the web I found how to keep the "DIM1" application from trying to do what it wants and doing instead, what I want, and after just two new installations of Poser Pro 2012 I finally fumbled the thing together.

The situation is now:

- I have a "DSON new" runtime folder on an HDD separate from the installation
    - the newly bought V6 and the other Genesis content that comes with her, is put there,
    and the folder/file structure seems to be working - at least it looks like this.
    - I have "DSON importer" in its 64 bit version installed

The rest of the show is
    - Poser Pro 2012 set up, with SR 3.1 installed
    - Windows 7 x64 Ultimate, latest updates/patches installed
    - Intel i7-980, non-overclocked, 24GB Ram, everything nice and healthy

After starting Poser as usual, and loading any of the Genesis figures, nothing happens for about 2 seconds, and after about 5 seconds the figure stands where I would expect it.

Unfortunately, the library doesn't work any more, now.

Restarting Poser doesn't help.
    Restarting Poser 12 times, doesn't help, either.
    Restarting the computer doesn't help.

Saving the setup as scene or as file, doesn't help.

Uninstalling Poser, resetting the machine to the last deep-freeze point, reinstalling Poser, reinstalling DSON, reinstalling Genesis content - you guessed it: doesn't help.

Any ideas, anybody?

Thanks in advance!

edited October 2013

did you also install the content pack that comes with genesis to get genesis working? do you have daz studio installed.
    I'm on a mac so i'm not very good help.
    i use poser pro 2014 and i can import genesis using dson. the python script for dson has to be installed in your main poser application folder where the poser application resides - put it in the right place in your python folder. goes into addons.

Post edited by esther on
  • WandWWandW Posts: 2,786
    edited December 1969

arcebus said:

After starting Poser as usual, and loading any of the Genesis figures, nothing happens for about 2 seconds, and after about 5 seconds the figure stands where I would expect it.

Unfortunately, the library doesn't work any more, now.

Restarting Poser doesn't help.
    Restarting Poser 12 times, doesn't help, either.
    Restarting the computer doesn't help.

Saving the setup as scene or as file, doesn't help.

Are you The arcebus? Glad to see you are well! :) Jehanne is one of my favourite V4 characters.

Make sure that PP2012 is fully updated:

http://poser.smithmicro.com/pro2012-updates.html

Also, under Scripts>DSON Support>Importer Preferences, make sure 'show progress on Load' is unchecked.

Also try the External library if the update doesn't resolve it; in General Preferences under the Library tab, "launch behavior".
    Also, if you are using Windows 8.1, there are issues with Poser 9 and PP2012 that SM says will not be resolved. It can be worked around in PP2012 by using the external library...

• BBlogoBBlogo Posts: 54
    edited December 1969

esther said:

But you can import a DUF scene created in DAZ Studio in poser with the DSON loader script by D3D. Tweak some materials and render in Poser.

• JoePublicJoePublic Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

For the more adventurous "Genesis in Poser" users, I made this tutorial that considerably speeds Genesis up in Poser and fixes the "I can't remember my UV's" bug:

Using Vicky 5 in Poser is currently troubled with 2 problems:

1.Speed:

Especially if you installed a lot of Genesis characters, the DSON importer takes its sweet time to create and load the cr2.

2. UV-mapping.

Once saved (either as a cr2 or a .pz3 file), Vicky 5 reverts back to Genesis' default V4 textures, so you have to re-apply any V5 .duf texture set you used. (And then also re-apply EZSkin if you used that)

So, how to fix this ?

First the speed:

TEMPORARILY move all the Genesis figure/morph files you installed in your Genesis runtime to another folder where Poser can't find them.

The morph files are installed under:

"Your-Genesis-Runtime"-data-DAZ 3D-Genesis-Base-Morphs-DAZ 3D

Only leave the Genesis "Base" morphs and of course "Vicky 5"

Now load Vicky 5.

If you did everything right, only the base morphs and the Vicky 5 morphs will load, but not the other Genesis morphs you had installed.

Disable the DSON subdivision.

Enable Poser's "Unimesh" skinning.

Set SubD to "1" for render.

Save your Vicky 5 as a figure to your library.

This turned Vicky 5 into a normal cr2 which will load a lot quicker than usual.

++++++++++++++++++++++

Now to fix the UV-switching by permantly fusing the V5 UV's to the object file:

Load Vicky 5 again.

ZERO her, and dial the Vicky 5 morph to ZERO, too.

DISABLE the DSON SubD, but DO NOT switch to "unimesh" skinning !

EXPORT Vicky 5 as an Wavefront object file.

CHECK: Include Body Part Names in Polygon Groups, Include Existing groups in Polygon Groups and Preserve existing Material names.

Make sure you ONLY EXPORT Genesis and not accidently something else in your scene.

Creat a new scene and import the exported object file. UNCHECK EVERYTHING during import.

Now open the grouping tool:

Create a new group.

Name it hip. (NOTE THE SPELLING: Just - hip - )

ADD the pelvis group to it, so that "hip" contains now all polygons of "pelvis".

DELETE the pelvis group, so what was pelvis, now is hip.

Close the grouping tool.

EXPORT the regrouped object file and save it to your Genesis runtime.

(You should make a new geometrie folder for it)

Now open the .cr2 file you saved with a word editor. (If you used file compression, you first have to unzip it)

Search for the .obj file entry that Poser generated when you saved V5 to your library.

Mine was named like this: "geometry{08648f34-56a4-0eb2-4d5b-849b06ee0130}.obj",

but yours might be named differently.

REPLACE the path and the object file name with the path and object file name of the object you exported from Poser. (There are two instances in a cr2)

Save the cr2 under a new name to your library.

NOW...

...The V5 UVs are permanently fused to that copy of Vicky 5 and when you re-load her from the library or from a saved pz3, she can't revert back to the V4 UVs.

You can then copy the morph files back to your Genesis library so your Genesis (and your original copy of Vicky 5 you load via DSON), will again function as they normally do.

Of course you can create also "Poser friendly" copys of any other Genesis figure, like Michael 5, etc.

BTW, if you only want to use V4 textures, you can safe yourself the object file manipulation !

So far everything works fine in PP-2014 including Morph Transfer for clothing.

Of course you do this on your own risk, so don't blame me if you accidently mess up your Genesis and have to re-install.

;-)

• Lissa_xyzLissa_xyz Posts: 6,116
    edited October 2013

Not really an importer issue, but I'd love to see some sort of universal folder structure. For instance, I have PoserCFs for clothing in Runtime > Figures > Vendor Name, Runtime > Figures > DAZ Genesis > Clothing, Runtime > Figures > Genesis > Clothing, etc. It's really getting annoying. lol

.. and that's just the Figures folder. >.<</p>

Post edited by Lissa_xyz on