Is running two instances of Daz a good idea?

Hey there, despite having used it for six months, I still think I'm a newbie to Daz.

My question is about running two instances of Daz, which I only recently found out I could do.

I like having something render, and while I wait I open Daz again on work on something else. I have not and don't plan to render two things at once, or do complicated Iray previews while rendering something else.

The reason I ask is a matter of prevention. I feel like it's too good to be true and I'm going to blow up my PC increasing my productivity so much. I have a pretty strong PC if it matters.

Advice/experience? Thank you!

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,859
    edited December 2018

There are potential issues - for example, they share the same Temp folder so one may clear that while the other still wants files that were stored there. You can run the beta and the release build at the same time.

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,315

Hey there, despite having used it for six months, I still think I'm a newbie to Daz.

My question is about running two instances of Daz, which I only recently found out I could do.

I like having something render, and while I wait I open Daz again on work on something else. I have not and don't plan to render two things at once, or do complicated Iray previews while rendering something else.

The reason I ask is a matter of prevention. I feel like it's too good to be true and I'm going to blow up my PC increasing my productivity so much. I have a pretty strong PC if it matters.

I've been doing it for a long time and have never had a problem. (I create the next comic scene while the previous scene renders.)

• There are potential issues - for example, they share the same Temp folder so one may clear that while the other still wants files that were stored there. You can run the beta and the release build at the same time.

Thank you Richard. I do notice that Daz had saved one of my latest files farther down the list, because in the other instance I had not loaded that file for weeks. Hard to explain, but I do see the potential issues. I think if I go about it carefully I may avoid problems, or at least if I keep backups of what I'm working on.

Petercat said:

I've been doing it for a long time and have never had a problem. (I create the next comic scene while the previous scene renders.)

Yes this is what I've been doing as well. Thank you!

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

I do it too but I avoid rendering 2 scenes at once because if both are even a bit complex that doesn't end well. I'll run out of memory ad my computer will lock up I/O bound trying to swap out overflowed RAM.

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118

You can, but I usually don't, because I've encountered a lot of crashes this way!

In any case, my PC is unusable while I'm rendering.

• Sometimes when i'm short on time, i run 5-6 daz renders at same time, opened in different windows, so i think it's fine.