Small Christmas freebie Bubble Lights

CbirdCbird Posts: 493
edited December 2018 in Carrara Discussion

So one of my favourite Christmas memories is the bubble lights my grandparents had for their Christmas tree (a fire hazard we all survived).

I decided  to have a go at creating a Carrara version as a thank you for everyone who makes this such a great forum. You may use these any way you wish. The shaders are procedural, and its easy to change the colour of the liquid or of the globe at the bottom. Particle emitters are included to animate the bubbles. Each one is slightly different (fewer bubbles or small size differences).

Thank you to Stezza and Diomede for very kindly testing these for me over in the off topic thread. Please see their results!

Right click and save the txt file, then change txt to car

I hope everyone has a healthy and happy Christmas and New Year (and other festivals).

Doc54.jpg
600 x 800 - 45K
txt
txt
BubbleLights.txt
Post edited by Cbird on

Comments

• GreymomGreymom Posts: 1,104

Wow!  Many thanks!  We had those on the tree when I was a kid (a long time ago in a previous millenium), and now you can get them again, so they are on the tree again,

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Thank you!

• CbirdCbird Posts: 493

You are both welcome smiley

Greymom, we've been hunting for the new ones here, but haven't found them yet. I expect our cats will be fascinated.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,922

thanks so much Cbird - I've never seen these ornaments - they look terrifico

Cbird said:

You are both welcome smiley

Greymom, we've been hunting for the new ones here, but haven't found them yet. I expect our cats will be fascinated.

Not sure where you live, but Amazon has them.  NOMA has even re-released them in a replica of the old box.  Wal-Mart Marketplace lists a number of vendors.   Picked up a couple of the nostalgia boxes at Walgreens last year.  Even found the old Tinkle Toy Company "Circus Spinners" on ebay.  Everything old is new again....well, except me...  : )

Thank you, Headwax. I hope you dodged the hail.

Greymom, thank you!! I'm in Canada, so will give Amazon a try. I was eyeing the nostalgic candy collections for my husband's sweet tooth for Christmas. I hear you on the not getting newer front. :)

Cbird said:

Greymom, thank you!! I'm in Canada, so will give Amazon a try. I was eyeing the nostalgic candy collections for my husband's sweet tooth for Christmas. I hear you on the not getting newer front. :)

Just for grins, I checked WalMart Canada, and you can order through them also, although Amazon has a larger selection.  : )

Greymom said:
    Cbird said:

Just for grins, I checked WalMart Canada, and you can order through them also, although Amazon has a larger selection.  : )

Perfect, Greymom! Guess who's going to buy herself a Christmas present :)

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,796

yep, terrifico, I've never seen these in real life either... I don't think we have them downunder, and I'm sure the missus would of got them if we did lol

thanks @Cbird

You are most welcome, Stezza.

A Christmas historian discusses them. Great shots of the originals. (Where do you sign up to be a Christmas historian?)

• nup I never heard of them either 

my Mum said as a kid they had actual clip on candle holders with candles, talk about a fire hazard 

Cbird said:

You are most welcome, Stezza.

A Christmas historian discusses them. Great shots of the originals. (Where do you sign up to be a Christmas historian?)

I have a friend who has done the real candles with little clip on holders. I think it calls for a festive array of fire extinguishers smiley