Importing (bone) weight painting from Blender?

Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,339
edited December 2018 in Daz Studio Discussion

I've been trying to work on creating or modifying assets in Blender and then exporting to Daz. This has worked okay for morph shapes, but I'm frequently dissatisfied with the results I get from automatic weight transfer in Daz, which often tears and stretches around tight joints in clothing.

Weight painting in Blender is something I'm fairly good at (I frequently use game engines with tight limits on vertex weights, so I often have to be pretty slick about refining things to work within that), and I'd rather not have to relearn the toolset of another program to do what I already know how to do. With that in mind, what is the best method to import weight painting from Blender? As it is, I've tried both DAE and FBX format exports from Blender and am just getting messed up skeletons in Daz.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on

Comments

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

I'd be interested in this too.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

It seems there's some success via poser. That is, blender > fbx > poser > fbx > daz .. Since the daz fbx importer seems to be unable to get anything but poser models .. I didn't try it personally though.

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/219871/how-to-import-fbx-files-in-to-daz

• Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,339

Hmm. Unfortunately, I don't have Poser, and I'm not willing to buy it just for the sake of transferring stuff into Daz.

Does anyone know what FBX version and parameters (things like bone orientation direction) Poser uses to export? I've got the modified FBX exporter built off the Autodesk SDK (rather more definitive than just using the default Blender exporter) which means I should be able to match most, if not all, valid FBX parameter sets, but I'd rather not have to go through a heap of trial and error.

• tooscarytooscary Posts: 0

This is a great question, because I have the same! Easily exported my character in a simple heeled position, but the workaround Ive seen so far to bring it back is more work than the model. Is there a way to bring Blender weight paints back in?.

I had some very simple flat shoes working on the basic male, simple 8.0 male export to blender, made a simple shoe mesh. Made the mesh, exported the .obj and it imported and followed the mesh/animation perfectly.

I know its a thing with bone orientation/mesh weights an all that, but then when I model a heeled shoe following a character from a "heeled shoe pose", why does it not snap to the heeled shoe pose? Its just a batch of garbly(follows, but it looks like too much)  on import. Without redoing all of the work I did, is there a better way to import meshes that actually follow bone orientation as they should?

Why do I have to mostly, but why should I have to spend more time painting weights?