Uh oh, can I run Daz Studio with an i5 processor?

Hello all, brand new to the Daz community here. Poser 7 user from 8-10 years ago, getting back into 3D art and am going the Daz route this time. I just registered so I could download the latest version of Daz Studio (4.9.4 I believe), got some nice sale content, and somehow just now noticed that the required system specs list an i7 processor for 64 bit Windows systems.  My computer is a quad core running Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Asus H87M-Plus motherboard, 16 gb RAM, Intel HD graphics 4600 card, but has an i5 processor. Before I go through with all the downloads, does anyone know if I’d be ok with the i5 processor, with maybe some degradation in speed, or is it just flat-out not going to run?  I know the graphics card isn’t ideal, but my research indicates I can do Iray renders, it’ll just be using the computer’s RAM rather than the graphics card’s, which I’m hoping I can live with.  Also, apologies if this is in the wrong forum...  Thanks in advance for any info you all may have!

J

Comments

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited December 2018

I ran DS on an i5 dual core, 6 gig laptop. Don't see why you couldn't do it ;).

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • AndySAndyS Posts: 1,434

I to run it with an i5 quodcore. As I once experienced some problems with iRay, I was told, that 4 cores wouldn't be valid.
    Who am I to contradict wink - but up to now all workrd fine.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

I would expect it to work. I don't know how much extra performance you get from an i7 but an i5 should run Studio. Your memory size should be OK, it's more than my computer has got. Your Intel graphics card means you will have to use CPU rendering for Iray, not as fast as a GPU but it should work. 3Delight rendering doen't use GPU accelleration so you don't lose any 3Delight performace due to the graphics card.

I expect you could render fairly complex scenes with that setup but not as fast as you would get with an i7 and an nVidia graphics card.

• The spec says a Core 2 Duo or Quad/I7 processor.  The Core 2 procesors are several years old (released in 2006) so an I3,5, or 7 processor that is newer and rated to run 64 bit Windoes will work.  My current system specs are below and it runs just fine.

System Specs: Intel i5 4670K, Gigabyte Z97X-Gaming 7, EVGA GTX 1070, 2x 8GB Patriot Viper 3 DDR-3 1866 memory, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD, Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 1TB HDD, Western Digital Blue WD20EZRZ 2TB HDD Corsair HX1000W PSU, HP DVD1720 optical drive, CoolerMaster CM 690 II Case, Samsung SyncMaster P2370 Monitor @ 1080p, Windows 10 Professional 64

• alexhcowleyalexhcowley Posts: 2,310

I used to do Iray renders on a 3.5 ghz I5!  It generally took 10 to 12 hours but it did work.

Cheers,

Alex.

• Well I fired it up and completed the first tutorial (without rendering anything), and everything’s working fine so far. Now to just learn where to manually install all the content I just unzipped...  Anyway, thanks for the feedback here, everyone.  Looking forward to learning this program!

• Pack58Pack58 Posts: 750
    edited December 2018

I do my 3DL rendering on a slightly newer i7 but all my iRay work is done on an old third generation i5 3330 @ 300 GHz.

It's a bit sluggish at times, I save often and try real hard to keep renders under 6 GB (or do multiple layers 'cos rendering off CPU is painful) but it works.

Thankful I've two purpose built Skylake boxes about to go live (fingers crossed).

Edit: The i5 has a GTX 1060 6GB and a GT 710, the i7 a . . . .  solitary 710 and is completely unstable running any version of DS after 4.7 :(

Post edited by Pack58 on
  • Linus tech and others have done the tests on this and I'm 99% sure he showed an i5 chip as being the sweet spot $ for $ for rendering
  • I'm pretty sure that was in blender not Daz
  • I was running Daz on an I7-5500u, which is a low power laptop cpu from nearly 4 years ago. Smaller scenes ran fine. Modern desktop I5s are certainly far more powerful than my old laptop. You shouldn't have any issues assuming you have sufficient RAM and a decent graphics card.  Now, for very large renders, with many characters and tricked out lighting effects, then you might need something more powerful.