If I wanted to buy someone's 2d image, is there a way to do that?

I'm sorry if this is an innapropriate question, but I've seen some 2D stills that I'd like to buy for commercial use.  Is there a way to do that through the site?  Or some way to contact the artist directly, if this isn't the place to do it? 

I want to do everything above board.   Most of the images are without watermarks, but I want to pay the artists who made the things (if I can afford it).  (If I can't afford it, I won't use the art, obviously.)

Any help would be welcome!

M.

Comments

• Do you mean forum/gallery images or store promo images? There isn't a set way, ultimately you'd need to contact the artist.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Disclaimer: The following is based on my current understanding of the legal copyright laws in the United States and should not be taken as professional legal advice.

Buying an image you've already seen might be difficult if you want exclusive rights. After all, if we posted it on the Internet, it's not "exclusive" anymore. :)

You may also consider comissioning a render. When we do "work for hire" like a comission, the one who pays for it automatically has all the rights and can do whatever they want with it.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    JonnyRay said:

Disclaimer: The following is based on my current understanding of the legal copyright laws in the United States and should not be taken as professional legal advice.

Buying an image you've already seen might be difficult if you want exclusive rights. After all, if we posted it on the Internet, it's not "exclusive" anymore. :)

You may also consider comissioning a render. When we do "work for hire" like a comission, the one who pays for it automatically has all the rights and can do whatever they want with it.

Well, technically you can do whatever the license that comes with the art says you can do with it.  Some people will state for personal use only others allow limitied commercial use and others allow unlimted, do whatever you want with it use.  Best ot contact the artist directly.  You can do that through the message system here.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    JonnyRay said:

If someone wants to buy the copyright to an image, as you suggest, it will cost considerably more.