ot Capt Marvel is a she? (possible spoiler alerts)

MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i'm totally lost between the end of Dr Strange and Infinity War events  it's so depressing don't want to watch it again..

Comments

• I haven't been keeping up with the movies, but Carol Danvers was Ms. Marvel and Captain Marvel, so... yes? Did they have Shazam under that name in one of the previous movies? Thought he was getting a movie under the Shazam name.

• CricketCricket Posts: 436

DC stopped using the Captain Marvel name for Shazam back in 2011 with their New 52 reboot - they just call him Shazam now. They could never refer to him as Captain Marvel on covers or any promotional material because of Marvel's copyright on the name; they could only call him that in the books themselves.

• Captain Marvel has been a woman in Marvel comics since 1982, when she was the alter ego of Monica Rambeau. Carol Danvers took the name Captain Marvel in 2012. Before then she was Ms. Marvel, going back to 1962.The current Ms. Marvel is Kamala Khan, and she's equally awesome. I wouldn't be surprised (and I hope) she takes on the Captain Marvel mantle in the comics sometime in the future.

The new Captain Marvel movie should (hopefully) explain where her origin fits in the movie universe, and how she fits into the Avengers.

If you want to know more, this is a great overview https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Marvel_(Marvel_Comics) 

• Do not attempt to understand how Carol Danvers, Binary previously Ms. Marvel previously Carol Danvers Agent of SHIELD, is now Captain Mar-Vel but isn't splitting her time with a Kree captain through the use of use special wrist bands that will soon give them both cancer. Marvel has decided she's all human just with Kree powerspowers plus apparently the Binary stuff tacked because she still has to fight Thanos.

How they plan to explain Binary without the X-Men, the Brood and space whales is anyone's guess.

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929
    edited December 2018

I only remember Carol Danvers as Ms Marvel but I thought that was before '82. Captain Marvel I remember as a guy but I believe his comic was bi-monthy and most 7-11s & Lil' Champs did not stock it.

Post edited by nonesuch00 on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Thanks. 

i was remembering this sat morning show as capt marvel.

thinkin the avengers could use a certain time lord on their side.

• ValandarValandar Posts: 1,417

HISTORY OF THE CAPTAIN MARVEL NAME!!!

1 ) Whiz Comics creates superhero based on Superman, who transforms with a thunderbolt from little Billy Batson. They get sued, win, then lose. Ends up being bought and buried by DC Comics.

2 ) M F Publications created a character in the 60's named Captain Marvel... but he was an android who could separate his body parts to fly and fight independantly, by yelling "Split!" ... only a couple appearances were made before legal issues shut it down.

3 ) Marvel Comics then created a character named "Captain Marvel", whose real name was... Mar-Vell. He would go on to be a mainstay of the 'Cosmic' side of Marvel, until the utterly epic trade paperback simply known as "The Death of Captain Marvel".

4 ) DURING the run of Mar-Vell, DC brought out the "Shazam" version of Captain Marvel, only to learn they had lost the trademark on the name. So for many years, the comic was titled in some various reference to Shazam ("The Power of Shazam", etc), while the character was named in the books as Captain Marvel.

5 ) Also during this time, test pilot Carol Danvers was exposed to an alien machine called the Kree "Psyche-Magnatron", and imbued with a portion of Kree DNA. The blend made her stronger and faster than either a Kree or a human, and she also could fly and throw energy blasts. She went by the name Ms Marvel. Later, her powers were drained by Rogue by accident (the source of Rogue's own flight, strength, and durability), and she went into space where her powers erupted into a far greater form, and she called herself Binary. Back to her later.

6 ) With neither Mar-Vell nor Carol Danvers using the name, and not wanting DC to get the trademark back, Marvel creates "Monica Rambeau", who has the power to turn into light and fire lasers, as the new Captain Marvel (the African American fellow test pilot in the movie trailer has the same name as Monica's mother, by the way). She proves moderately popular, but not really strong enough of a character to hold the title well at all.

7 ) DC keeps churning along with Shazam

8 ) Marvel tries Mar-Vell's son as a new "Captain Marvel", but he's an overpowered Mary Sue and a grating personality who barely stays above the 'Villain' line, and his comics flop.

9 ) DC decides "Forget it," and starts calling Billy Batson's alter ego "Shazam" in comic and out.

10 ) Marvel brings back Carol Danvers with the name "Captain Marvel", and introduces a girl with elasticity powers as the new "Ms Marvel". Both are a huge hit.

There you go. A rough, brief history of characters named "Captain Marvel". :D

edited December 2018

levels of complexity.  thanks for explaining.

who doesn't love a powerfully uttered 'SHA ZAMM'

Post edited by Mistara on

I knew I remembered Ms Marvel before 1982

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Danvers

• CortexCortex Posts: 109
    edited December 2018

Based on the Dimond Comic Distributers sales figures, her comics are not very popular, and most months fail to get into the top 100 comics. http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales.html

So shes certainly not an A -list superhero/superheroine like Bat man or Wonder woman.

Maybe her film will change that.

Post edited by Cortex on
  • The Orginal Captain Marvel dates back to the 1940's and is the Male DC here now being called shazam.  Marvel Comics threw a temper tantrum over DC having a character named Captain Marvel even though the Character Was named Captain Marvel before Marven Comics existed as Marvel Comics and DC recponded by changing his name.

• Not nearly accurate. Captain Marvel, now known as Shazam, was created by Whiz Comics in the 40's as a pretty direct copy of Superman. Digest Comics, now just known as DC, threatened to sue and Whiz ceases publication. When Whiz goes out of business DC buys the company but doesn't bother publishing anything with Captain Marvel for far too long. For so long that the trademark lapses. When they do start trying to use it again in the 70's Marvel pointed that they had the trademark for Captain Marvel and that they would sue. DC messed around for awhile but finally gave up and now simply calls the character Shazam.

• LintonLinton Posts: 541
    Cortex said:

Worked for Guardians of the Galaxy. Their movie catapulted them all into the starlight, maybe this movie will do the same for Ms Marvel (I do wonder how and where Rogue's power drain will fit into the timelines though)?

• Linton said:
    Cortex said:

Worked for Guardians of the Galaxy. Their movie catapulted them all into the starlight, maybe this movie will do the same for Ms Marvel (I do wonder how and where Rogue's power drain will fit into the timelines though)?

They may simply ignore it like they did for the timeline when Rogue was Mystic"s adoptive daughter in the Xmen movies

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146
    edited December 2018
    Linton said:
    Cortex said:

I thought there were differences in the names though... Captain Mar-vel and Captain Marvel.  I guess that wasn't enough to keep the lawyers at bay.  What ever.  It's old news.  

Speaking of old news... nothing beats the ORIGINAL Guardians of the Galaxy.  The current band of misfits are just not doing it for me so I stopped reading their book.  

Original Guardians of the Galaxy.jpg
    618 x 940 - 564K
    Post edited by RAMWolff on
  • Linton said:
    Cortex said:

Mutants do not exist in the MCU. Therefore Rogue never drained her.

thor doesnt drink tea? laugh

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714
    RAMWolff said:
    Linton said:
    Cortex said:

I thought there were differences in the names though... Captain Mar-vel and Captain Marvel.  I guess that wasn't enough to keep the lawyers at bay.  What ever.  It's old news.  

Speaking of old news... nothing beats the ORIGINAL Guardians of the Galaxy.  The current band of misfits are just not doing it for me so I stopped reading their book.  

Weird; I liked the first film a lot, far more than I was expecting. The second was garbage.

distress signal

infinity war is soo depressing, even groot cuteness doesnt lighten it

dr strange is growing on me, cape looks elegant and graceful

• CricketCricket Posts: 436

Not nearly accurate. Captain Marvel, now known as Shazam, was created by Whiz Comics in the 40's as a pretty direct copy of Superman. Digest Comics, now just known as DC, threatened to sue and Whiz ceases publication. When Whiz goes out of business DC buys the company but doesn't bother publishing anything with Captain Marvel for far too long. For so long that the trademark lapses. When they do start trying to use it again in the 70's Marvel pointed that they had the trademark for Captain Marvel and that they would sue. DC messed around for awhile but finally gave up and now simply calls the character Shazam.

Actually, the way i heard it, Simon and Shuster (I believe) bought Whiz's assets in the 70's and liscensed the character to DC. DC didn't buy the characters outright until the 90's.

• Not according to anything I've ever seen. DC bought a lot of small comic's publishers when they went out of business in the aftermath of the Corruption of Innocent. As far as I'm aware that included Whiz.
  • riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    Valandar said:

HISTORY OF THE CAPTAIN MARVEL NAME!!!

1 ) Whiz Comics creates superhero based on Superman, who transforms with a thunderbolt from little Billy Batson. They get sued, win, then lose. Ends up being bought and buried by DC Comics.

2 ) M F Publications created a character in the 60's named Captain Marvel... but he was an android who could separate his body parts to fly and fight independantly, by yelling "Split!" ... only a couple appearances were made before legal issues shut it down.

3 ) Marvel Comics then created a character named "Captain Marvel", whose real name was... Mar-Vell. He would go on to be a mainstay of the 'Cosmic' side of Marvel, until the utterly epic trade paperback simply known as "The Death of Captain Marvel".

4 ) DURING the run of Mar-Vell, DC brought out the "Shazam" version of Captain Marvel, only to learn they had lost the trademark on the name. So for many years, the comic was titled in some various reference to Shazam ("The Power of Shazam", etc), while the character was named in the books as Captain Marvel.

5 ) Also during this time, test pilot Carol Danvers was exposed to an alien machine called the Kree "Psyche-Magnatron", and imbued with a portion of Kree DNA. The blend made her stronger and faster than either a Kree or a human, and she also could fly and throw energy blasts. She went by the name Ms Marvel. Later, her powers were drained by Rogue by accident (the source of Rogue's own flight, strength, and durability), and she went into space where her powers erupted into a far greater form, and she called herself Binary. Back to her later.

6 ) With neither Mar-Vell nor Carol Danvers using the name, and not wanting DC to get the trademark back, Marvel creates "Monica Rambeau", who has the power to turn into light and fire lasers, as the new Captain Marvel (the African American fellow test pilot in the movie trailer has the same name as Monica's mother, by the way). She proves moderately popular, but not really strong enough of a character to hold the title well at all.

7 ) DC keeps churning along with Shazam

8 ) Marvel tries Mar-Vell's son as a new "Captain Marvel", but he's an overpowered Mary Sue and a grating personality who barely stays above the 'Villain' line, and his comics flop.

9 ) DC decides "Forget it," and starts calling Billy Batson's alter ego "Shazam" in comic and out.

10 ) Marvel brings back Carol Danvers with the name "Captain Marvel", and introduces a girl with elasticity powers as the new "Ms Marvel". Both are a huge hit.

There you go. A rough, brief history of characters named "Captain Marvel". :D

That's a pretty good synopsis of the characters who've been named Captain Marvel. I'd like to add a few points of interest.

There was sort-of another Captain Marvel; when DC and Marvel did their Amagam comics, that merged universe had a Captain Marvel who was pretty much a fusion of Billy Batson and Mar-Vell. I seem to recall the uniform being green like the Marvel character's, but having a lightning bolt on the chest, like the Big Red Cheese.

Also, during Roy Thomas's run on Marvel's Captain Marvel, he seemed to be doing everything he could to make the character like the original Fawcett (later DC) character. This is when the nega-bands were introduced, forcing Mar-Vell and Rick Jones to have to trade places (like Billy Batson transforming into Captain Marvel), and there was a female Kree adversary named Minerva (the original CM had a villaness named Aunt Minerva).

• riftwitchriftwitch Posts: 1,404
    Not according to anything I've ever seen. DC bought a lot of small comic's publishers when they went out of business in the aftermath of the Corruption of Innocent. As far as I'm aware that included Whiz.

I thought Whiz Comics was the book Captain Marvel originally appeared in (like Superman in Action or Batman in Detective); Fawcett was the publisher.

• riftwitch said:
    Not according to anything I've ever seen. DC bought a lot of small comic's publishers when they went out of business in the aftermath of the Corruption of Innocent. As far as I'm aware that included Whiz.

I thought Whiz Comics was the book Captain Marvel originally appeared in (like Superman in Action or Batman in Detective); Fawcett was the publisher.

That's right. I always get that mixed up
  • OT OT here. Child's Play is in post production starring child actor Gabriel Bateman (Lights Out). This is the eight installment of the franchise and the first remake being billed "reboot".  The "Chuck" is back. To be released in June 2019.

Sorry for the derailment.

I seem to remember a character called 'The Whizzer' in yellow with white & blue embellishments that was a member of the Invaders in the mid-70s.. Whizzer I think was a Marvel version of the Flash that preceded Quicksilver but I think he may of originated in Whiz Comics during the 1940s. The Whizzer was in the Invaders series of the mid-70s and was a teammate of the original Human Torch (an android that would be copied to create the Vision, among others, such as Wonder Man who would be a member of the Avengers for a while), Union Jack (seems every family  in the UK must have at least one Jack as a member), Spitfire, Hellcat, and another lady but I can't remember her name or costume exactly but it was also red, white, & blue, I think maybe Lady Liberty or something like that (a google search says she was Miss America). Other members were Captian America, Bucky, and Namor the Submariner.