How to simulate the "touching"

Hi everyone.
I'm practically a novice of Daz and I'm trying to understand some basic features.
In particular I do not understand how it can be done so that the "parts" can touch each other rather than "pierce".
I try to explain myself better: how can I put my hand on my thigh without going through it?
Or even how do two figures touch each other instead of merging?
Thanks in advance

Comments

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

You will have to carefully pose the characters so their body parts come close together but do not go through each other. You can expand the character in the Scene pane to show the character's bones. Then select a bone and use one of the posing methods to move that bone. You can rotate (bend, twist, side-side) in the Parameters pane. You can use the Active Pose tool to grab a bone and move it in the viewport. There are many ways. Take a look at some posing tutorials. Here is a Daz 3D YouTube Posing Tutorial.

• Cris PalominoCris Palomino Posts: 11,151
    edited December 2018

If you are using these for paint reference, then don't worry about the figures or clothing, etc, colliding or sinking into each other. That's why you're painting. I have used Studio to set up models for painting and the main thing I want is to be able to get the perspective and lighting I want. Sometimes, I don't even have color textures on anything; sometimes just the transparency added. Just depends on what your final process will be. 

It is much easier for me, as a painter, to add the realism of skin and fabric folds or where a hand lies on the face of another; that's where my painting expertise comes in. Get your poses close to what you want and then paint in the rest.

PS As it's not in the original post, I'm going off previous posts made by giampia where they explained they are a painter using Studio for setting up reference.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • barbult said:

You will have to carefully pose the characters so their body parts come close together but do not go through each other. You can expand the character in the Scene pane to show the character's bones. Then select a bone and use one of the posing methods to move that bone. You can rotate (bend, twist, side-side) in the Parameters pane. You can use the Active Pose tool to grab a bone and move it in the viewport. There are many ways. Take a look at some posing tutorials. Here is a Daz 3D YouTube Posing Tutorial.

Thank you barbult. I thought there was some function that would allow a "consistency" of matter that would not allow non-natural effects. I had already seen the video tutorial, but I thought there was an answer to my doubt and I turned to the forum. Thank you

• If you are using these for paint reference, then don't worry about the figures or clothing, etc, colliding or sinking into each other. That's why you're painting. I have used Studio to set up models for painting and the main thing I want is to be able to get the perspective and lighting I want. Sometimes, I don't even have color textures on anything; sometimes just the transparency added. Just depends on what your final process will be. 

It is much easier for me, as a painter, to add the realism of skin and fabric folds or where a hand lies on the face of another; that's where my painting expertise comes in. Get your poses close to what you want and then paint in the rest.

PS As it's not in the original post, I'm going off previous posts made by giampia where they explained they are a painter using Studio for setting up reference.

Thank you Cris for your kind reply. It's true, I use Daz to create poses, scenes, lighting, etc for my painting and often I use 3delight render because I don't want to much realism in colors, textures, etc. I prefer to add it to my paintings. 

Of course, the more precise the pose and the realism in the characters of the models, the easier it is for my painting work :-)

I see your artworks on the web. Very interesting, I like your work, especially the male profile portrait. Very beautiful!

Thank you, bye

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,603

Getting things to look as if they are touching requires careful posing. Here is a tip that might be useful if you are not already doing it. I create a camera that I use for rendering and I use the perspective view as a roving camera. When I am trying to get things to touch I start by posing them with the render camera and then I move the persepctive view in really close to make fine adjustments.

Another trick is using the front, back, left or right views can be useful getting a figure's feet on the floor but not sinking into it. Again I start with a fairly distant view and move in close for fine adjustments.

If you want to get the effect of pressing on a soft object you can use a Dformer on the object to pull the surface in a bit.

• RafmerRafmer Posts: 564
    edited December 2018

If we are talking about two different figures you could add a smothing modifier to one of them and put the other as a collision object. Then it is only a matter of fiddling with the parameters and the distances between the figures.

Post edited by Rafmer on
  • Thank you Peter Wade and Rafmer smiley