so now dances being copyrighted

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/12/rapper-2-milly-sues-epic-games-for-stealing-his-dance/

this is scary

half our aniblocks are known dances and all the kiddies on youtube doing Elvis's moves, the BGs Staying Alive and MJs Moonwalk will be handing over their ADsense earnings, not to mention every MikuMikuDance video

if dance moves are copyrighted the world is doomed

the Jacksons are not stupid they know it sells recordings and licenses for playing that but not so sure about some of the minor celebrities, they grab what they can.

Comments

• (Gritting teeth... Biting tongue...) Must....NOT....discuss... that which cannot be discussed. PHEW... pant, pant, pant. I hear where youre coming from, I just cant talk about this without... without... WITHOUT.... Gasp, gasp... GULP!

Thats all I can say about that.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

(Gritting teeth... Biting tongue...) Must....NOT....discuss... that which cannot be discussed. PHEW... pant, pant, pant. I hear where youre coming from, I just cant talk about this without... without... WITHOUT.... Gasp, gasp... GULP!

Thats all I can say about that.

Same here. Once I get started, I'll never stop. LOL

Laurie

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,575

...so waiting for NFL players to get sued for using copyrighted dance moves for touchdown celebrations.

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,815
    edited December 2018

it affects everyone 

even emoticons

martial art moves will be next if it passes

damn we will be standing still on videos and animations  soon

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Matt_CastleMatt_Castle Posts: 2,341

If a specific series of words or musical notes can be considered an intellectual property, and even somewhat less precise concepts such as film plots and the like, then I've got to be honest, it seems entirely reasonable that any sufficiently distinct dance move should also be so protected.

Speaking as a writer, artist, musician and dancer, I can't say that the dances I've written have been any more trivial a creative effort than any of the other fields.

• well I guess we are going to need performance licenses to twerk in public then

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Fortnight is one of the biggest and most profitable pieces of entertainment in the world. Daz studio is not. That's all there is to it.
    edited December 2018

If a specific series of words or musical notes can be considered an intellectual property, and even somewhat less precise concepts such as film plots and the like, then I've got to be honest, it seems entirely reasonable that any sufficiently distinct dance move should also be so protected.

Speaking as a writer, artist, musician and dancer, I can't say that the dances I've written have been any more trivial a creative effort than any of the other fields.

distinctive the key word here, did you look at the moves in the article? one was improvised on the spot, not meaning to trivalise these particular artists skills but it is getting very scary as how do you prove they didn't copy another person even unconsciously and if no video evidence of anybody else doing that move they win, its not exactly a planed choregraphical move rehearsed and taught to others.

The retrospective repercussions are staggering given all the moonwalkers etc out there.

• MattymanxMattymanx Posts: 6,879

Giving this some logical thought, I dont see how it would go in his favor.

edited December 2018

well I guess we are going to need performance licenses to twerk in public then

That's very different.

Am I going to get in trouble with Paul Simon if I perform Sound of Silence to a couple of dozen people in a pub music session? No.
    Am I going to get in trouble if I record a cover, sell a million copies and don't pay him royalties? Yes.

Fortnite is profiting off this, and profiting of it both considerably and very publicly.

distinctive the key word here, did you look at the moves in the article? one was improvised on the spot

Yes, I did. The fact that something was improvised on the spot doesn't mean that no creative effort went into it, or that it can't have been copied.

Post edited by Matt_Castle on
  • more on this case

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/5/18128115/epic-games-fortnite-sued-lawsuit-rapper-2-milly-dance-move-emote

I personally am concerned about using motions with my DAZ animations

but anyone dancing on a monetised video should be concerned 

but anyone dancing on a monetised video should be concerned 

I should point out that Fortnite has generated about a billion dollars in sales in the last year. I think the monetisation on most people's Youtube dancing videos is probably considerably less interesting to copyright lawyers.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,078

Meanwhile, enjoy some classic steps from the guys who did pratfalls.  Both were excellent dancers, when they wanted to be. 

edited December 2018

you can see the dance in question in the gif I embedded

I obviously lack artistic appreciation of its uniqueness and creativity cheeky

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

He will have to prove it hasn't been done before, is a choreography, and it can only be uniquely attributed to him. No dance expert, but I doubt this move will fall under that, so good luck with that. Sounds more like an artist who simply wants to hit headlines because it is good for sales.

• maikdeckermaikdecker Posts: 2,750

In short: as soon as there is a chance to make money from it, about anything will be Copyrighted so lawsuits can be started. No wonder that the number of lawyers steadily grows...

Probably someone comes up with the invention of stuff like breathing, walking or smiling in the future and will sue everyone using it without a licence...

Nice story about what can happen when the human genome is copyrighted -> Next

• CortexCortex Posts: 109

I am fairly certain you cannot copyright film plots.

I could for example make a story about a boy who goes to magical school and has various adventures. My school isnt Hogworts of course.

• they better not do those G3M mocaps of Monty Python's Flying Circus Ministry of Funny walks then.

• Well, I'm just an old fart but what I see of dance moves these days is pretty close to my gyrations before I make it to the toilet. frown Do I need a license or can I sue somebody?

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

*starts typing up copyright application ...* move left foot and leg forward, then do the same for right, repeasting as necessary .. I'll call it walking ... devil

• MazhMazh Posts: 476
    SimonJM said:

*starts typing up copyright application ...* move left foot and leg forward, then do the same for right, repeasting as necessary .. I'll call it walking ... devil

But.....but....I've invented this years ago....sad

edited December 2018

they better not do those G3M mocaps of Monty Python's Flying Circus Ministry of Funny walks then.

"Ministry of silly walks" please ....*threatens you with the soft cushion*wink

Post edited by Mazh on
    edited December 2018
    Mazh said:

they better not do those G3M mocaps of Monty Python's Flying Circus Ministry of Funny walks then.

"Ministry of silly walks" please ....wink

it's almost midnight and we are having 40°C days so not quite with it

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Well, I'm just an old fart but what I see of dance moves these days is pretty close to my gyrations before I make it to the toilet. frown Do I need a license or can I sue somebody?

LOL!
    edited December 2018
    Mazh said:

"Ministry of silly walks" please ....wink

it's almost midnight and we are having 40°C days so not quite with it

Btw. nice dance moves in "The Neighbour's Yard"....

Post edited by Mazh on
    Cortex said:

I am fairly certain you cannot copyright film plots.

I could for example make a story about a boy who goes to magical school and has various adventures. My school isnt Hogworts of course.

If it's that general, no. But if your film is about Larry Trotter, whose parents are killed by Lord Moldevort, lives with his aunt and uncle who try to force the magic out of him until he gets a letter to got to Doghorts etc, etc, then you're going to be getting a call from J.K. Rowling's lawyers.

As it is, production teams will often return anything that appears to be an unsolicited script completely unopened, in order that the author cannot later accuse the company of stealing their ideas should they do anything similar. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I am always appalled at the things people can copyright. I support fewer copyrights and tighter restrictions. Just because one copyrights something doesn’t mean hundreds of others don’t have the same idea,term, or conception part of their work.

• grinch2901grinch2901 Posts: 1,246

Meanwhile, enjoy some classic steps from the guys who did pratfalls.  Both were excellent dancers, when they wanted to be. 

And then there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1OnV4kKkU0

This discussion has been closed.