Iray

Hi

I'm a newbie to Daz 3D laugh

I've been looking at some add-ons for my Daz Studio, one of which is iRadiance Light Probe HDR Lighting for Iray - Expansion 6

Could someone point me in the right direction for information on what Iray is all about?

Although at this stage I'm not sure exactly what direction I will go in artistic creation but need to start somewhere, hey.

td3d sent me a gift voucher to use in the shop, thanks mate!

Comments

• I say you only few basic things: Iray is a render engine you can use for render your creation (the other one is 3Delight)...you can render Iray only with nVidia GPU. So you can render Iray with your hardware?

Maybe search on forum "iray" and you will find lots of thread about...wink

• HI Marco

Thanks for your reply and forum search tip yes

I think I will need to build a new PC with faster CPU and dedicated graphics card with a larger monitor.

My current basic laptop won't be able to handle the 3D software sufficiently to get serious with 3D rendering and processing.

Cheers

• Not sure if I'm allowed to post external links? Please let me know the rules in this regard...(newbie)

I found this website helpful from Nvidia regarding Iray, down the page it shows some graphs with GPU performance ratings.

Hopefully this may also help others setting up hardware for efficient 3D rendering.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/design-visualization/iray/features/

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,317

I say you only few basic things: Iray is a render engine you can use for render your creation (the other one is 3Delight)...you can render Iray only with nVidia GPU. So you can render Iray with your hardware?

Maybe search on forum "iray" and you will find lots of thread about...wink

Wrong 

Iray can render with other than Nvidia cards but will render using CPU, which can be slow.

• Yeah, I've used my iMac the past year with Iray, it just takes a long time depending on how big the file resolution is that you want. I discovered last night though that on my iMac, I can render shots at 1920x817 with saturation at 0 in like 7 minutes with Lee 8 and Urban Sprawl 3 loaded, which I've used urban sprawl 3 before and it's taken way longer with saturation at the normal 1. 

But pretty much what I was doing before I got my new PC was I'd just render shots in layers on my iMac and comp them together in Photoshop. A render that was a 4K shot that was taking 50 hours to do and barely getting to 60%, I was able to get all the layering done in like a quarter of the time. So try that if you don't have an Nvidia card yet!

• scorpio said:

Iray can render with other than Nvidia cards but will render using CPU, which can be slow.

I've had a look at some performance charts, CPU rendering is way too slow.

Thought I'd check out the Nvidia Quadro GV100 graphics card, then saw the price from a local supplier and just about fell off my chair!....over $10,000

I can say with confidence, that graphics card won't be on my shopping list..*chuckle*

The Quadro P2000 is more realistic price at around $600 but it's rendering performance is only 3x that of CPU, compared to 15x for the Quadro GV100.

Note: The test charts I looked at were run on a desktop workstation with Intel Xeon E5, 14 core, 2.6Ghz CPU, 32GB RAM, using Iray 2017.1 with 4K render resolution.

surprise....dream on sunshine.

According to Nvidia, quoted from link in previous post:

Iray supports any number or combination of GPUs and CPUs running within the same machine and gives you control over which are being used for rendering.

• scorpio said:

I know but "my mistake" I flew over because absentmindedly.
  • I've had a look at some performance charts, CPU rendering is way too slow.

Thought I'd check out the Nvidia Quadro GV100 graphics card, then saw the price from a local supplier and just about fell off my chair!....over $10,000

I can say with confidence, that graphics card won't be on my shopping list..*chuckle*

The Quadro P2000 is more realistic price at around $600 but it's rendering performance is only 3x that of CPU, compared to 15x for the Quadro GV100.

Note: The test charts I looked at were run on a desktop workstation with Intel Xeon E5, 14 core, 2.6Ghz CPU, 32GB RAM, using Iray 2017.1 with 4K render resolution.

surprise....dream on sunshine.

According to Nvidia, quoted from link in previous post:

Iray supports any number or combination of GPUs and CPUs running within the same machine and gives you control over which are being used for rendering.

You can buy a used 1080ti with the price you saw for P2000.

• SixDsSixDs Posts: 2,384

There is no particular advantage to purchasing a Quadro card versus an equivalent mainstream Nvidia card (GTX or RTX) for use with Iray in DAZ Studio, while there is a significant disadvantage when it comes to price. Onboard VRAM and CUDA cores are the two most important metrics.

• You can buy a used 1080ti with the price you saw for P2000.

Yes, I've consider used or refurbished, but would prefer to buy new. I think the 1080TI are no longer in production.

If you live in Europe or the US, you might have more options, and better pricing, in Australia the options are probably not so many.

I could by a GeForce GTX 1060 new for $395, might be a good starting point...but that is down the track, I'll see how my current PC performs while I learn to drive the 3D software (newbie) wink

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

A 1060 really doesn't have enough CUDA cores to be really fast. A 1070, or better a 1070Ti would be a better choice, even considering the difference in price.

• SixDs said:

There is no particular advantage to purchasing a Quadro card versus an equivalent mainstream Nvidia card (GTX or RTX) for use with Iray in DAZ Studio, while there is a significant disadvantage when it comes to price. Onboard VRAM and CUDA cores are the two most important metrics.

Thanks for this feedback, very helpful

• fastbike1 said:

A 1060 really doesn't have enough CUDA cores to be really fast. A 1070, or better a 1070Ti would be a better choice, even considering the difference in price.

Thanks for the feedback, very helpful