Storypilot's Pizza Kitchen

Comments

• StorypilotStorypilot Posts: 1,660
    edited April 2014

Here's something I finished today, showing both my completed picture, and the screen grab that was the inspiration. I wanted to try to capture the color of that subtle sunset/twilight light that was happening in the scene the screen grab came from. My picture isn't supposed to be an exact match, I know others with more skill than me could get extremely close... just seeing if I could bring some of the essence of the original into my interpretation.

Happy Sunset Dance

My street setup is a combination of Les Romantiques for Jack Tomalin's Bridge of Cheirocrates, DzFire's Alley, and Stonemason's Derelict Corners Urban. Custom character with FW Eve skin, Orion hair, StreetWear jeans and sneakers, Toon Amy top, Arkana wrist wrap. Rendered in DS and post in Pixelmator.

Screen_Shot_2014-04-08_at_3.36_.31_PM_.png
    1251 x 564 - 487K
    HappySunsetDancer_v2-Final.jpg
    1000 x 1400 - 1M
    Post edited by Storypilot on
    edited April 2014

Test render of two characters I might use for a little series of sci-fi renders, just trying to figure out the look of each of them.

Studying-_SciFi_Cadets_Test1.jpg
    1000 x 1400 - 293K
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Cool renders. The woman on the right reminds me of Chiss from Star Wars.

The pants look too shiny. I think my monitor is set to bright or the gamma is all wrong. Thanks for uploading the renders.

edited December 1969

Thanks, starionwolf. :) Yes, the specular highlights on the pants came out too bright in that test. Been working on their actual scene now, different lighting there, we'll see how it turns out.

edited December 1969

Featuring the girl character above

Kilara - Star Prayer

Kilara_-_Star_Prayer.jpg
    2000 x 1250 - 387K
    edited April 2014

The blue skin is the Stephanie 6 skin texture (with its default AoA SSS settings) tinted in the following ways:

Diffuse tinted to a blue with values: 58, 126, 255
    Specular Color tinted slightly: 225, 237, 255
    Subsurface Color tinted: 138, 199, 255
    Velvet color: 144, 177. 255
    SSS strength: 85%

Lips and nails are tinted separately.

Here's another image of the character.

Kilara_-_Server_Room_S.jpg
    1260 x 1980 - 2M
    edited May 2014

These are some renders I did recently using Giselle and Tigerlily among other things - "Dance of Gnomes" and "Eye of the Tiger"

I had a lot of fun working again with the large collection of morphs I have for Genesis 1 on the gnomes. It had been a while since I'd made a custom G1 character, and it was great to do that again. The gnomes have a little bit of Goblin, a little bit of Mouse, a little bit of Child, a lot of Zev0's Shape Shift and Aging, and then a whole bunch of other morph DNA affecting them. I made a preset out of the first of them, and then changed the dials on each of the other two gnomes after loading the preset to make them different from one another. Two of the gnomes have RawArt's Brennan skin, and the pale gnome has Gunner (both great creature skins even though they're supposed to be human).

The Tigerlily characters in each of these are modified from the stock Tigerlily character and from each other, both have their default morph dials turned down, and have some Mystic Giselle and some Steph 6 and other morphs added. In the solo picture I did more work adjusting her morphs to suit what I was looking for, someone cute but unpredictable and a bit feral and potentially dangerous looking at the same time.

The little tiger didn't come out quite the way I hoped, and I almost took him out, but in the end my wife convinced me he was cute and added enough that I left him in.

EyeOfTheTiger.jpg
    860 x 1204 - 366K
    DanceOfGnomes.jpg
    860 x 1204 - 536K
  • none01ohonenone01ohone Posts: 862
    edited December 1969

Some really good images here with nice lighting. I like the happy sunset dance, well done.

edited December 1969

Some really good images here with nice lighting. I like the happy sunset dance, well done.

Thanks very much, none01ohone, I appreciate it. :)

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the kind comments, Tarina Kivi. I hope the postwork looks natural... I've found myself in a place where nearly all the pictures I make have a certain soft warmth of color to them... which I do like.... but sometime, I'd like to be able to make something that looks really realistic and sharp. Sometimes even when I think I'm going in that direction, it ends up not being that way when it is done.

I'm very glad you like the gnomes and the tiger, too :)

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

These are some renders I did recently using Giselle and Tigerlily among other things - "Dance of Gnomes" and "Eye of the Tiger"

I had a lot of fun working again with the large collection of morphs I have for Genesis 1 on the gnomes. It had been a while since I'd made a custom G1 character, and it was great to do that again. The gnomes have a little bit of Goblin, a little bit of Mouse, a little bit of Child, a lot of Zev0's Shape Shift and Aging, and then a whole bunch of other morph DNA affecting them. I made a preset out of the first of them, and then changed the dials on each of the other two gnomes after loading the preset to make them different from one another. Two of the gnomes have RawArt's Brennan skin, and the pale gnome has Gunner (both great creature skins even though they're supposed to be human).

The Tigerlily characters in each of these are modified from the stock Tigerlily character and from each other, both have their default morph dials turned down, and have some Mystic Giselle and some Steph 6 and other morphs added. In the solo picture I did more work adjusting her morphs to suit what I was looking for, someone cute but unpredictable and a bit feral and potentially dangerous looking at the same time.

The little tiger didn't come out quite the way I hoped, and I almost took him out, but in the end my wife convinced me he was cute and added enough that I left him in.

cool little suckers
    like the tiger too :-)

edited May 2014

bigh said:

cool little suckers
    like the tiger too :-)

Thanks bigh, glad I listened to her and kept him :)

edited December 1969

This one I used the Taric skin from the Gianni bundle, and the default V6 skin Belle on a custom dialed character. The hairs are Milen hair and Micah hair.

image.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 493K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited May 2014

Stunning Storypilot- your lighting really provides the mood. You used two of my favorite hair products too- I love the detail in both of those. :)

PS, EDIT: Really like the fact you didn't do a busty female. Those are so overdone, it gets tiring. It's nice to see a slender frame woman.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Novica - yes, I agree. I was smiling about this one, that here the guy was bustier than the girl. :) Often it feels like the choices on the girl morphs is between large and larger. I used the NPM's here to shrink her down. Also, yes, these are two of my favorite hairs too, both excellent.

Oh, and I forgot to mention above, I used the new Rock Shader on many of rock surfaces, not the Modular Ruins piece at her back or the altar, but everything else including retexturing Moon Gate, visible above the girls head. The grass is -esha-'s megapack.

• Tramp GraphicsTramp Graphics Posts: 2,404
    edited December 1969

This one I used the Taric skin from the Gianni bundle, and the default V6 skin Belle on a custom dialed character. The hairs are Milen hair and Micah hair.
    Somebody's gonna get some. %-P
  • mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152
    edited December 1969

Love that one. And yes, he is indeed bustier than she is ;)

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,155
    edited December 1969

And one I finished today for PC February challenge. "A Bitter Winter's Farewell".

This is wonderful. I don't usually follow that contest. I hope you won!
    edited December 1969

Somebody's gonna get some. %-P
    ;)

mori_mann said:
    Love that one. And yes, he is indeed bustier than she is ;)

Thanks mori_mann :)

And one I finished today for PC February challenge. "A Bitter Winter's Farewell".

This is wonderful. I don't usually follow that contest. I hope you won!

Many thanks barbult, very kind to say!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659
    edited December 1969

Thank you for the kind comments, Tarina Kivi. I hope the postwork looks natural... I've found myself in a place where nearly all the pictures I make have a certain soft warmth of color to them... which I do like.... but sometime, I'd like to be able to make something that looks really realistic and sharp. Sometimes even when I think I'm going in that direction, it ends up not being that way when it is done.

I'm very glad you like the gnomes and the tiger, too :)

Hi Storypilot! I just wandered over to your Pizza Kitchen, thanks to Novica. I didn't know it was here. I love your renders so I really enjoyed looking at all of these, and looking at the pizza photos while I was eating a low-cal dinner (yuk) which I do too often. I especially love the Tigerlily ones. Your soft light and colors are part of the appeal for me, and I know what you mean about always ending up with a similar look - that usually happens to me as well. The blue-skinned Stephanie is cool. Thanks for posting the skin settings. I love doing aliens and will try them on one. :cheese:

edited December 1969

What Luci is referring to- I posted a link from my studio thread 'cause your work is awesome :)

And having the dudes with the developed pectorals- well, none of us gals are complaining at all about that!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,659
    edited December 1969

Novica said:
    What Luci is referring to- I posted a link from my studio thread 'cause your work is awesome :)

And having the dudes with the developed pectorals- well, none of us gals are complaining at all about that!

You mean those little dudes dancing with Tigerlily? :lol: :-) %-P

• IndigoJansonIndigoJanson Posts: 1,100
    edited December 1969

Gorgeous render! I can only echo what's already said, but it was a real treat to see this and thanks Novica for sending us over here.

edited December 1969

Wow! Thank you Novica for pointing people over, that is so very kind of you! :) Heh, I'll keep that in mind there's an audience for hunky men. Lately I've been inclined to make pictures showing two figures in some sort of interaction or moment between them, so could be there will be some more of those...

Hi Luci, great to see you over here! Thanks. :) Help yourself to the virtual pizza - no calories at all, heh.
    It's funny, when I first started making 3D pictures, I wondered if I would ever have some sort of a "style", and now I'm starting to feel like maybe I am starting to have one, and it's very difficult to break away from whatever tendencies led me to that look. I really like the look you've developed for your pictures as well. For myself it's interesting, I certainly don't think of it as a bad thing, but it is funny to try to break away from it from time to time and try something different... then have it not really happen.

Jindi - Thank you greatly, very much appreciate you stopping by!

Here's a picture I started working on a bit ago (the one that I originally made the blue skin for). I abandoned it for a while as I didn't like how it was going, but just today came back and did some more work on it and I figure I'll go ahead and post it.
    "Study Break"

Study_Break2.jpeg
    1500 x 810 - 1M
    edited December 1969

Oh wow, you shouldn't have posted that- it would have been a winner for a lighting contest- SERIOUSLY. Tell us about the lights!!!!

edited June 2014

Novica said:
    Oh wow, you shouldn't have posted that- it would have been a winner for a lighting contest- SERIOUSLY. Tell us about the lights!!!!

Oh gosh :) - well first off, I should say a good bit of what makes the lighting in this ok is from post work. The lighting gave me all kinds of headaches and was part of the reason I left it alone for a while. I changed it several times, but I can try to say some general things about it.

1) There's big area light aimed down to simulate the ceiling light above them, but it's placement is not where the set's ceiling light actually is, I faked it's location for prettiness, it's closer to the camera and angled toward them slightly to get smoother shadows on their faces.

2) There's an AoA advanced distant light coming at them through the window to simulate sunlight.

3) There's an AoA ambient light to give some overall bounce light and AO to the room.

4) There's a blue AoA spotlight set at a low intensity, that is giving the blue highlights on the girl's arms and neck, to simulate light coming from the monitors behind her.

5) I can't remember if this stayed on in this render, but there was at one point another AoA spotlight that was coming from the left, acting like a kind of reflected sunlight that was rounding out the highlights on the left half of the boy and giving more light on the girl's face, because the falloff from the big area light was leaving her in a much darker light than the boy.

All the AoA lights had softened shadows, like 300%-500% softness, 16 samples. The Area light probably had like an 800% intensity, and 64 samples, with falloff on.

In post (I use Pixelmator, which is a wonderful program and cheaper alternative to Photoshop), I brightened everything a lot, and boosted contrast slightly. I added a vignette around the outside, except where the overhead light was. The background out the window was rendered separately, and has an overlaid AoA Depth Camera render layer to give atmospheric haze. There's also some of Ron's Fog brushes giving some more smokey atmosphere out there.

I still wasn't happy after that, the effects I wanted from the lights weren't apparent enough, so I went about boosting them up. I painted a giant blurry glow expanding out from the window, set it to "Lighten" layer blending mode, very, very low opacity, and then I created a mask for that layer, and painted out sections of the glow where I didn't want too much glow, such as near the boy's face and arms, where he would naturally be blocking any glowy light beams. I added even more brightness along the area on the lower windowsill, and more darkness to areas by their feet and around his pillows, to keep them from being too bright & distracting, and building on and intensifying the vignette I already had.

(I turned off the bedroom set in this screenshot so it's easier to see where the lights are)

Screen_Shot_2014-06-01_at_6.06_.18_PM_.png
    1365 x 735 - 293K
    edited December 1969

Cool! I haven't done any layers yet in Photoshop, eventually I'll get around to it. The program you used did a wonderful job. (Well, YOU did, using the program.) It's fun to see the characters floating in the air- two genies! I still get thrilled when I see the difference between what is in the viewport prior to rendering, and the final render sometimes. (And other times, it's TWEAK.) Thanks for explaining, a wonderful combination of lights for sure!

• Tarina KiviTarina Kivi Posts: 488
    edited March 2017

Post edited by Tarina Kivi on
    edited December 1969

Glad to, hope it is helpful!

The new render I'm working on now is turning out differently than I was expecting. I've gone off the path from the story I had in mind when I started, so I'm not sure if I'll post it.