A Noob question

IKtorIKtor Posts: 44
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

My main language is not english so forgive me something i can write wrong.
The question is if theres an easy way to dissolve Edge and vertex at same time ?

APC_-_2013.09_.24_11_.48_-_001_.3d_.jpg
1701 x 913 - 303K

Comments

• tbwoqtbwoq Posts: 238
    edited December 1969

Hi Trialg.

In the model room, Edit->Dissolve should work.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Nope - it leaves the verts in place, making N-gons (as does backspace) - the verts have to be additionally dissolved. Real PITA.

• IKtorIKtor Posts: 44
    edited December 1969

Thanks anyway.Funny I know that i can make a conflit a small window appears to chose but its same.Never mind i got for old way inveting

edited September 2013

Roygee said:
    Nope - it leaves the verts in place, making N-gons (as does backspace) - the verts have to be additionally dissolved. Real PITA.

Hmm. I might be doing something different or missing something. When I use the Dissolve on a cylinder edge loops(edit:>like the OP's screenshot), both the vertices(points) and the edges are gone. True, some models will leave N-gons after though.

Post edited by tbwoq on
  • dot_batdot_bat Posts: 373
    edited December 1969

from wiki "The Dissolve command removes the selected points, edges, and faces and then rebuilds the geometry around the removed items." this is missing i dont see it in 8.5. its a bug anyone want to report it?

edited December 1969

I'm using C8.1 Pro 64 bit build 153 atm. In the screenshot of the first post, if I used Dissolve on that type of selection, all the edges and vertices are removed. To confirm I was seeing the mesh correctly, on the test cylinder I used Empty Polygon after the dissolve. There are instances where if I select some vertical edges including the horizontal edges, some vertices will be left over. Probably to keep the object shape(?).

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Yes, this is exactly what used to happen in Hex before the not-so-recent update. If the shape isn't affected, such as the horizontal edges in a cylinder,the command will remove verts as well as the edges, but where the removal affects the shape, they are retained o retain the shape.

Daz_Spooky mentioned that some of the tools were ported directly from Hex - this must be one of them:)

• stem_athomestem_athome Posts: 514
    edited September 2013

Roygee said:
    Yes, this is exactly what used to happen in Hex before the not-so-recent update.

It worked correctly in Hexagon V1, it broke in update 1.21, and never worked correctly again, even in latest update.

The currently implementation in Carrara is poorly made, and can leave, what some refer to as, "Stray vertex".

What they did with the latest version of Hexagon was to give a popup, which basically gave option to leave all vertex or remove all vertex, which can lead to problems. If for example you have a sphere with poles, and select edge_loop that traverse over the poles, you either have to leave all vertex (not wanted), or remove all vertex which removes the vertex on the poles (not wanted).
    When dissolving edge_loops, (IMHO) there should be a popup to leave all vertex, or remove all "stray vertex" ("Stray vertex" being classed as vertex that would only have 2 edges connected to it after removal of edge loop).

Post edited by stem_athome on