When they say "Compatible with DS 4.6" do they mean "Compatible only with DS 4.6"?

Uman1912Uman1912 Posts: 28
edited September 2013 in New Users

I've been wary of buying products that say they are" Compatible with DS 4.6" because I haven't upgraded from DS 4.5. But is this stipulation true? I have to wonder because many things that are posted as "Compatible with DS 4.6" came out so quickly after the introduction of DS 4.6 that it hardly seemed possible that so many designers had been at work creating them with DS 4.6 in mind. Still, a lot of people must have been at work for a long time on V6 before the official release of Genesis 6, because V6 has had a flood of releases (though I have been avoiding V6 and G6 on the assumption that they really will not work in DS 4.5). But what about other items--poses, backgrounds, utilities? Should we avoid items listed as DS 4.6-compatible if we want to use them in DS 4.5?

Post edited by Uman1912 on

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited September 2013

I think you may be getting a bit confused. WE are on DS 4.6, the previous version was DS4.5

Genesis does have a V5 character, and M5 and so on and also now there is G2F which has the V6 character. But they are the figures, not the program.

Post edited by Chohole on
  • Uman1912Uman1912 Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Sorry. DS5 and DS6 are my personal slang for DazStudio 4.5 and DazStudio 4.6. I've just corrected my post to state the terms in the way that everyone else does. But I'd still like to get some advice if Version 5 and Version 4 products that come out with a stated compatibility to DS 4.6 are, in fact, also usable in DS 4.5. (Like, maybe Daz3D just doesn't want to recommend versions that they don't distribute anymore, even though the product in question might work in the older 4.5 version.)

One reason I haven't been eager to upgrade to 4.6 is that I don't know what will happen to my installed content that 4.5 uses. And what effect will uninstalling the older program have upon the data base in the Daz Install Manager? Like, if I lose content in an uninstall, will the DIM think that it is still installed and not offer me the chance to use it to install it again? I dread having to uninstall everything I installed with DIM, one item at a time, before doing a general uninstall of 4.5 (so that 4.6 can be safely installed). Maybe one can install over the older version, but I don't want to do that. When I installed 4.5 over the older 4.0, I had problems come up that I have not solved to this day.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Upgrading from 4.5 to 4.6 will not affect your installed content. There are some items that won't work completely in 4.5 because they use features of 4.6, like G2F, which uses the surface sets feature.

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

Uman1912 said:
    Sorry. DS5 and DS6 are my personal slang for DazStudio 4.5 and DazStudio 4.6. I've just corrected my post to state the terms in the way that everyone else does. But I'd still like to get some advice if Version 5 and Version 4 products that come out with a stated compatibility to DS 4.6 are, in fact, also usable in DS 4.5. (Like, maybe Daz3D just doesn't want to recommend versions that they don't distribute anymore, even though the product in question might work in the older 4.5 version.)

One reason I haven't been eager to upgrade to 4.6 is that I don't know what will happen to my installed content that 4.5 uses. And what effect will uninstalling the older program have upon the data base in the Daz Install Manager? Like, if I lose content in an uninstall, will the DIM think that it is still installed and not offer me the chance to use it to install it again? I dread having to uninstall everything I installed with DIM, one item at a time, before doing a general uninstall of 4.5 (so that 4.6 can be safely installed). Maybe one can install over the older version, but I don't want to do that. When I installed 4.5 over the older 4.0, I had problems come up that I have not solved to this day.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

DS4.6 is DS4.6 with errors corrected. Nothing will happen to your content as that is in a different folder. You will be able to USE most DS4.6 content in DS4.5 unless it uses the fixed features in DS4.6 and was made with DS4.6. There is no reason to not use DS4.6 if DS4.5 runs on your PC.

EDIT: Mike and I posted at same time. We both say much the same thing.
    Post edited by Jaderail on
  • Starbase 1 - NickStarbase 1 - Nick Posts: 71
    edited December 1969

I think Uman1912 is pointing out something important here - it is frequently very unclear what is actually required and what is compatible.

A software version might mean "the product works with this" or "This version is required" or maybe "at least this version is required". Or products (like poses) may work partially with a version or generation of a figure, or can be made to work with an additional product. Similarly with figures - the word "for" in reference to a figure might mean "optimised for but works with other genesis figures", or might mean "this figure is absolutely required", or again might mean "works if you use an additional tool".

I suspect its a major factor in making people reluctant to upgrade software or figures... Well, it is for me anyway!

Nick