OT: Bye Bye Dexter! (NO SPOILERS PLEASE!)

Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
edited September 2013 in The Commons

It's over. Dexter is done. Haven't yet decided how I feel about the finale. Good in some ways, so awful in others. But after so many years I cannot help but to feel sad in some way. The show lasted longer than it should have, still it was a historic series.

Next week Breaking Bad will end. I'm probably not going to survive the ending of that show, it's just too yummy.

Walking Dead will be the next thing to look forward to.

Television. Who has time for it?

Edit: Title edited to include a request for non spoilage for those who have not had a chance to get caught up. General discussions about episodes and themes long ago aired seem fair, but perhaps the last episode or so of these shows should be left out of discussion for the benefit of those still in waiting. Thanks all.

Post edited by Rashad Carter on

Comments

• Eva1Eva1 Posts: 1,249
    edited December 1969

Those are 3 of my all time favourite shows. Haven't seen the Dexter finale yet (not aired in the UK yet). I'll be sad when that and Breaking Bad has finished - absolutely superb show!! It's not often that truly rivetting, outstanding shows come along so they will be missed.

• StratDragonStratDragon Posts: 3,167
    edited September 2013

no breaking bad spoilers, I'm weeks behind, now I have the 60 hour marathon on Wednesday to catch up.

Peter Griffin watches Breaking Bad
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXbaxVeteRE

Post edited by StratDragon on
  • RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,750
    edited December 1969

Saw the end of Dexter last night and yeah...I feel about the same.
    Wasn't a bad ending...but wasnt brilliant either.
    You would think for long running series they would have the time to really think out an ending that could blow you away rather than just something that closes it's doors.

Rawn

• Rashad CarterRashad Carter Posts: 1,799
    edited September 2013

RawArt said:
    Saw the end of Dexter last night and yeah...I feel about the same.
    Wasn't a bad ending...but wasnt brilliant either.
    You would think for long running series they would have the time to really think out an ending that could blow you away rather than just something that closes it's doors.

Rawn

Indeed. I'd describe the finale as functional in that it did what it had to do in a literal sense. The way it was carried out leaves many unanswered questions, troubling concerns even, things one might describe as unfinished business. Which is highly unusual for Dexter.

Typically Dexter always has exhibited some degree of elegance in his solutions. This is often one of the criticisms of the writing for the show, that he just gets off too easy sometimes. This messy sort of ending in some ways feels more realistic. Its a situation where the math sort of doesn't add up, which is a whole different sort of troubling. I find myself wondering if I feel sorrier for the characters in the show or for myself now that it's actually over and it didn't end in the way I probably would have preferred?

I wonder if they might make a film one day picking the story up again at some point in the future using another character? Hoping!

Post edited by Rashad Carter on
    edited December 1969

Eva,
    I hope it airs there soon. I cannot wait to know how you feel about it. I was having dreams about the ending all night. I still can't believe it's over!

StratDragon,
    Yep, the spell is powerful indeed. I'm going to miss it dearly.

Walking Dead is a show I never thought I'd like at all. But I'm currently fascinated.

Not sure what's going to happen with Once Upon a Time. That show while quite brilliant in many ways barely had a full season of compelling story-lines especially with that long 26 episode season structure. How it squeezed a second season is magical, and how it will extend into a third is going to be riveting to watch, for good reasons and bad ones. I do secretly look forward to it.

• RawArtRawArt Posts: 5,750
    edited December 1969

I did comment to my wife that the show did leave opening for a movie followup....but to say more about it could get into spoiler levels of talk...so I wont.

edited December 1969

Walking Dead's off to a good start! American Horror Story Coven is seriously incredible. Fun Halloween themed shows just in time.