Partially reflective ground

odasteinodastein Posts: 606
edited December 2018 in New Users

So, I have this quarry background, and the floor surface is reflective when seen with a low enough angle. At first I thought that it was supposed to be water on the ground, but the position (or even complete absence) of the reflection depends on the position of the camera. Viewed from an high angle, the surface isn't reflective. Lowering the camera, the floor becomes reflective on the side of the image opposite to the camera. See pictures (on the first one from above, there's no reflection, on the second one there's a reflection on one side of hte central "mound", and on the last one, after moving the camera on that side, the reflection appears on the other side.

What causes this and how to fix it? (The floor has no reflection or refraction value)

Quarry no water 2.png
938 x 750 - 2M
Quarry water 4.png
938 x 750 - 2M
Quarry water other side.png
938 x 750 - 2M
Post edited by odastein on

Comments

• Which shader is it using - listed at top-right of the Surfaces pane? If it is using the 3Delight shader, which sounds to be the case, Specular will be interpreted as glossiness on conversion to Iray at render time.

• odasteinodastein Posts: 606

Ho, must have been that. I got rid of the reflection by eliminating something in the surface panel that I didn't expect to be related to reflection. Might well have been "specular". And indeed I was rendering in Iray, despite the item  being intended for 3Dlight. Thanks. I'll try to remember this "specular for glosiness" thing.

Sometimes not intended for Iray stuff nevertheless in looks better in Iray, sometimes it looks terrible in Iray, and often a mix of both (say, the bridge looks much better but the water is terrible). Unless I'm missing something, it seems hit and miss.

Also : didn't I post the images? Or did you delete them? And if so, why?

• odastein said:

Ho, must have been that. I got rid of the reflection by eliminating something in the surface panel that I didn't expect to be related to reflection. Might well have been "specular". And indeed I was rendering in Iray, despite the item  being intended for 3Dlight. Thanks. I'll try to remember this "specular for glosiness" thing.

Sometimes not intended for Iray stuff nevertheless in looks better in Iray, sometimes it looks terrible in Iray, and often a mix of both (say, the bridge looks much better but the water is terrible). Unless I'm missing something, it seems hit and miss.

Metallic items, glass, and water are the things I find most likely to need fixing. You can

1. select the object
    2. select the surfaces (most easily by clicking with the Surface Selection Tool, which does both)
    3. in the presets tab of the Surfaces pane go to Shader Presets>Iray and apply the Iray Uber Base (this is effectively what DS does when you render)
    4. in the Editor tab of the Surfaces pane tweak settings
    odastein said:

Also : didn't I post the images? Or did you delete them? And if so, why?

Your images are still there for me, as thumbnails across the bottom of your post.