How to find installed Items in Carrara

I always seem to have trouble figuring out where to find a recently installed item in Carrara's browser. Is it a prop of a figure, is it listed under the artist's name or the item name? Sometimes the product's info sheet tells you where to look, sometimes not (Or am I missing something?) Also, items are rarely marked as to whether or not they will work in Carrara. Maybe the ones I can't find don't load into Carrara? Is there an approach I should try? Thanks.

Comments

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,079
    edited November 2018

I am going to address items bought from the Daz store.  I will discuss three different categories.  There are older items that were designed to work in Poser, which Daz Studio and Carrara could read (V4 and before).  There are newer items designed to work in Daz Studio, some of which Poser and Carrara can read (genesis and later).  There are items designed for Carrara.  The first two categories are under the "content" tab of the object browser.  The last is under the scene tab, object tab, shader tab, etc.

- The content folder where the older Poser content resides has "runtime" in the name, such as My Daz3D Library Runtime.  I did a custom installation so mine is entitled Stuff for Studio Runtime.

.                     . Subfolders for this area have Poser runtime names, such as Faces, Figures, Hair, Hands, Poses, Props.

- The content folder where the newer Studio content resides typically has the same name, but without the word "runtime", such as My Daz3D Library. I called mine Stuff for Studio.

.                      . Subfolders for this area are Daz standards.  Most figure-related content is installed in the People folders, such as People \ Genesis \ Characters

- Content designed specifically for Carrara, such as dynamic hair, is found under the appropriate browser tray tab, such as scene, object, shader, etc.

.                      . An example of a subfolder here is Scene \ Landscape \ Dartanbeck \ Environkit \ Badlands

If you installed using the DIM program provided by Daz, then you can check to see where content is installed using DIM.  Go to the installed files section.  Use the search box to find your item.  Right click in the empty area of the line of your item.  Choose show installed files.  A list of the files and their location will appear.

zz01 browser tray runtimes.JPG
    588 x 394 - 29K
    zz02 runtime in old Poser format with figures and props.JPG
    831 x 666 - 47K
    zz03 newer daz3d format.JPG
    917 x 976 - 83K
    zz04 people subfolder of main daz3d folder.JPG
    1625 x 1012 - 160K
    zz05 carraara specific files in scene tab or object tab or shader tab of browser.JPG
    1001 x 728 - 80K
    zz06 i use DIM to install then can rightclick and show installed files to get location.JPG
    965 x 851 - 155K
    Post edited by Diomede on