Exasperated newbie question.

marcizmarciz Posts: 0
edited September 2013 in New Users

In APRIL ('13), I purchased V5. I've been going back and forth with DAZ, on installing it, and I'm STILL confused/lost.

My intent was to use V5 in Poser 9.

I have installed the Poser 9 update, making the program 9.0.3.23027 .

I have installed the DSON importer in Poser 9--though I see no evidence of this if it is properly installed. I probably installed it in
the main (top) directory folder, like the tutorial says. (Program Files/Smith Micro/Poser 9.)

I have the Genesis Starter Essentials.zip and Genesis Starter Essentials Poser CF. zip files--which I didn't know I needed
when I started by buying V5. These are not yet installed in Poser9.

I am new to Poser 9 by maybe 5 or 6 months. I had (have) V4, in use in Poser 6, on a WinXP computer, and had
relatively few problems installing it when it came out. Been happy with that ever since.

I'm intending to use V5 in my Poser 9 installation, which is on a Windows 8 computer (64 bit).

I have maybe one day a week to fool with this, and that's why I'm still not using V5; I get lost with the instructions
I've been given--nomenclature is a problem.

So my question is this; are there any USER CREATED tutorials/videos, that might help me get up and running?

P.S. I do not use my Win 8 machine on the internet...prefer manual installation.

Post edited by marciz on

Comments

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,074
    edited December 1969

To check if the importer installed correctly, in your Scripts menu in Poser is there a sub menu for the DSON Support scripts?

Have you downloaded and installed the DAZ Install Manager (it will make things lightly easier if you have, but it isn't essential - and it will work fine on an offline machine)?

Where is your Poser content installed?

• marcizmarciz Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Ah, yes, the DSON item is in the Scripts menu.

I may have downloaded and transferred the install manager...I think I did...been awhile since I've gotten back to this. But doubt if I did anything else with it.

Aside from content supplied with Poser, I've only installed a few items I had with Poser 6 use, and did those the way I always do; manually, file by file,
    item by item, right into the program file in (x86). My experience is that third party items like clothes, etc., don't always work via installing via the content tab in
    Poser 6, so I haven't used that feature in Poser 9. As to anything new, well, I haven't gotten that far yet (with Genesis). Earlier, I did somehow manage to unzip the starter essentials and create
    a library in Poser 9 for it, it showed up, but seemed to keep freezing the program. so I figured out how to delete it from the library.

I was reading a bit of the text tutorial here on the site, earlier, as well. And yes, I did choose the correct DSON Importer (32 bit for Poser 9, even though
    it's a 64 bit OS.)

Do I need both GenesisStarterEssentials and the Starter essntials Poser CF in there? (well, that's another question.)

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 97,074
    edited December 1969

Windows Vista and later don't readily allow application s to later the content of the Program Files or Program Files(x86) folders, so you shouldn't place your content there - by default Poser 9, I think, places its content in Public Documents>Smith Micro>Poser 9 Content and that's where you should install add-on content, or in another folder of your choice that you add to Poser by clicking the folder icon with a + in the Library panel (or at least, that's where it is in Poser Pro - I'm not certain the panels are the same in the pro and plain numbered versions).

If you manually install the DAZ zips you need to place the files and folders from the Content folder in the zip in the destination folder - such as Public Documents>Smith Micro>Poser 9 Content - and not the actual Content folder (that's just there for organisation, since the install manager works with different types of file).

Yes, you need both the Starter Essentials and the Starter Essentials Poser CF to use Genesis, and in general if there's a Poser CF zip then you need that and the other zip as well.