Rendering with 2 GPUs will switch to CPU only

I'm new to Daz, but I keep running into this issue whenever I'm rendering a scene.

My GPUs are 1070 GTX & 770 GTX.

The scene I'm trying to rending is slightly over 1gb in size. Well under the VRAM of my smallest card. I can render the entire scene using just the 1070 GTX or just the 770 GTX, but not when I use both. With both cards in use my render reaches 15% before it switches to CPU only and stops using the GPUs. 

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be?

Comments

• Is it always the same scene? if so have you tried other scenes? Does it happen if you close DS and open DS fresh? Does it happen if you reboot the PC and start DS as the only application running? 

Do you monitor the memory usage and GPU activity of the two cards during the render? The two cards shouldn't both be running out of VRAM at the same time. Does the 770 shut down first and then the 1070?

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

The size of the scene on disk is not a reliable indicator of how much VRAM will be needed.

• If you're running them in SLI, disable it and remove the SLI connector.

If one of those is your primary display card, you're not getting the whole card for the render.

And it has been "officially" reported that if one card runs out of memory, the load is put solely on the remaining card, and doesn't dump to the CPU unless that one is also exceeded.

The little window that pops up while rendering will tell you how much VRAM is being used for the render (meshes, materials, shaders, textures, lights) if you expand the History button.