►►► Carrara Resources ◄◄◄

13»

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,221

Life's been really busy. So if you have some Carrara content (or information on some) which is not in the lists please post links in here, and I'll attempt to get them updated in the main lists. If I fail to do so please give me a nudge PM ;)

►►►  Back to Resource Lists

• SileneUKSileneUK Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2016

I am late to getting back to the forums...and am wondering why this is not a sticky post any longer. Is there a replacement thread that is newer inside one of the current stickies?

Am looking for two big things (for me anyways)

HOW TO REPOINT My DAZ 3D Library and My DAZ 3D Runtime Library  to a new path. I have made a duplicate of these on my external drive and networked that drive so that my hot/fast/new-build machine as well as my old machine can access the files.

Also want to understand that if I have DIM, then I can only realistcally have it on my older machine... and will change the directory paths for future purchases, etc to go the new path on my external drive?  I did download a DIM onto my new machine and YIKES... all the content I have bought via DIM shows as not downloaded. I thought I might try to filter products and re-download, but even though I untick Carrara, some Carrara products, eg Carrara Hair Caps, stays in the list. I don't want to start a queue of 1000+ items and find Carrara items going to the DAZ Content folder(s).  

FINALLY, I want to create more sensible directories for categorising content which I think is in this thread someplace... so will go searching. But am hesitating starting on that until I know how to sort out the above.

Ideally I'd like to repoint the paths from Carrara's (Not Smart) Content tab... and know whether to rearrange my categories before I do or after, or whether or not it matters. I STILL have my original Content Libraries on my hard drive in case I bugger things up.

Whew... anyone have some time to respond? Would be much appreciated.  Had a great Christmas, but am behind on getting ready to finish my degree certificate so I can get modelling and illustrating again!

Cheers and HNY Everyone! yeslaugh SileneUK

ETA:  Ooooh.... just found Stezza's thread.  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewreply/567178/   Will have a look at that for new plan. Still have to work out shifting things over....

Post edited by SileneUK on

►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄ is what you were looking for, and that one is still stickied, right at the top LOL! :)

► Carrara Walkthrough is probably more specific ;)

►►► Carrara Information Manual ◄◄◄ is what you were looking for, and that one is still stickied, right at the top LOL! :)

► Carrara Walkthrough is probably more specific ;)

Thanks, Dart, that's it! heart 

I am finding that for things like props in Runtime, I can now make category folders, eg Weapons, Shoes, etc. but MUST leave the creator's folder intact inside the category folder, or else it won't automatically find the object/geometry or textures.  Am still experimenting. Have not done anything with DAZ content yet. The Runtime will keep me busy for quite some time. Fingers crossed!

Had a network glitch, but now I can have my two main computers, which are side by side, share the same external drive without falling off the network now. And having Carrara on the new machine is like zoom city...can't believe how fast items pop into the scene from content or how quickly I can do renders vs the older machine. Many more miles to go, but am encouraged.

yes SileneUK

Loading stuff is one thing, but wait 'till you start rendering with that bad-boy new PC! Ouch!

Set your tile size (bottom of the first panel in the render room) down all the way to the left (16) and watch those buckets fly! wink

Yeah, I never like to move around anything from inside a runtime unless it's a Pose file meant to set a pose on a figure. Those I like to organize into one, easy to find folder. But other pose files, like MAT (for applying materials) will break if moved from their installed spot. So I just make different folders and put the runtime folders into them. yes

edited January 2016

Not at that point yet... I am noticing that I must leave the textures associated with these props where they are, most are in the textures folder. A few are MATS within the prop's file folder and am leaving those where they are. So will be minding what you are saying for the next steps.  smiley SileneUK

Post edited by SileneUK on

Good. Most things in those runtime folders don't like having their folder structures messed with. Let's say that a single prop still loads after taking it out of its original location but now we buy an add-on for that prop. The new add-on won't find it because it's just not there anymore. That's why I make specific folders to help organize my content - keeping me from wanting to move stuff around within those folders.

• HeadwaxHeadwax Posts: 9,924

Anyone still using stitchwitch i wonder?

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited September 2021

Dartanbeck said:

Good. Most things in those runtime folders don't like having their folder structures messed with. Let's say that a single prop still loads after taking it out of its original location but now we buy an add-on for that prop. The new add-on won't find it because it's just not there anymore. That's why I make specific folders to help organize my content - keeping me from wanting to move stuff around within those folders.

I still use the two corporate folder hierarchies.  I have Poser Runtime hierarchies.  I have Daz content folders.  In my experience, after Poser 5, as long as I keep a product and its associated files in an appropriate hierarchy, I don't have to install to the default location.  The folders just need to branch off the root the same as in the standard hierarchy.

That is probably the same as Dart meant, but every once in a while I think I need to write posts longer than Dart.  Like this one, which is four lines to his three.  smiley 

Post edited by Diomede on