LightDome Pro by Dreamlight

mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,028
edited November 2018 in The Commons

I am wondering what the lowest version of Photoshop is that can be used with the features utilized in Lightdome Pro. Specifically, it has a feature where all the DAZ rendered layers can be added with one click to a PS document using a PS action (instead of manually having to add each of those layers separately). Perhaps this PS action only works in certain versions of PS, or does it work with any version of PS that has actions? Anybody know what the word on this is?

Post edited by mcorr on

Comments

• mcorrmcorr Posts: 1,028

The description says Photoshop CS, which presumably means PS 8?

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited November 2018

It was released as CS  followed by CS 2 (instead of 9) etc up to CS6  which was the last of the physical (CD/DVD) versions before it went on to the CC versions

Post edited by Chohole on
  • I use to use the original LightDome all of the time, prior to the advent of Iray. It gave a considerable amount of control over the different lighting aspects after rendering.

The product included a number of PS macros that handled blending and layering of the various rendered layers. Based on the description of this product, it would appear that it functions in the same way. So PS 8 *should* work. If I am remembering correctly, the only issue you might run into is how the files are named.

I did purchase this, was an insta-buy for me after using the original, but I will have to wait until tonight to download and install.

edited November 2018
  • Jason GalterioJason Galterio Posts: 2,562
    edited November 2018

I lied.

I couldn't wait until tonight so I decided to download the package over my cellular connection. Really only needed the two smallest of the three files, but grabbed all three anyway.

Experimenting with it now, but a little confused as to the "Filler Must Be On" and "Filler Must Be Off" rules.

I am sure it is explained in the WMV files that come with it, but I can't watch those at the moment unfortunately.

Let me just add... I hate video tutorials when they are used in replacement of written instructions. I can't text search a video. Can't fast foward to the parts I need a refresher on. Etc.

Post edited by Jason Galterio on
  • QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 900
    mcorr said:

I am wondering what the lowest version of Photoshop is that can be used with the features utilized in Lightdome Pro. Specifically, it has a feature where all the DAZ rendered layers can be added with one click to a PS document using a PS action (instead of manually having to add each of those layers separately). Perhaps this PS action only works in certain versions of PS, or does it work with any version of PS that has actions? Anybody know what the word on this is?

I use it with CS6, if that helps you at all. 

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

I have problem with the IM00057073-02_LightDomePROIraySuperiorLightWithLayers1of2 I have tred 3 times to download  and each time i got an error message (see screen capture)

Someone else has this problem? 

Thanks

ScreenShot001.jpg
    1920 x 1200 - 354K
  • I didn't have an issue, but I can see why there would be a problem. The file name is way too long. In my install it was 204 Characters! And I am installing to a pretty high directory.

X:\DAZ_Content\Library\General\Dreamlight\Light Dome PRO Iray - Superior Light With Layers\Dreamlight LightDomePROIray Videos\Dreamlight_LightDomePROIray_Videos_Part2\Video5_ManuallyAddingLayersInPSExtremeLayeringTechniques.wmv

Not sure how that got through testing, but you should open a ticket to get the file name shortened. Anyone installing to the typical subdirectories is probably going to get errors.

edited November 2018
    mcorr said:

Photoshop CS is (although it wasn't called that) Photoshop 8 (see my link above for version history). PS 5 is a few versions below that, but if the new LightDome actions feature is, nevertheless, working for you, then the product would appear to be working with a lower than advertised version of PS. Thanks for the info!

Post edited by mcorr on

I lied.

I couldn't wait until tonight so I decided to download the package over my cellular connection. Really only needed the two smallest of the three files, but grabbed all three anyway.

Experimenting with it now, but a little confused as to the "Filler Must Be On" and "Filler Must Be Off" rules.

I am sure it is explained in the WMV files that come with it, but I can't watch those at the moment unfortunately.

Let me just add... I hate video tutorials when they are used in replacement of written instructions. I can't text search a video. Can't fast foward to the parts I need a refresher on. Etc.

Saw most of the vid. I had the impression that it might be hard navigating some of the features without seeing it first. The fact that there is no manual (as you say) is compounded by my not having been able to find a way to contact Dreamlight. Many vendors will open a discussion (here or on the upcoming product forum) to answer questions. Haven't found that either, so the customer service, aftersales aspect of things seems to be non-existent (other than hoping DAZ can help?). Being forced to devote 40 mins. to watch a vid (when you might only need to quickly look up in a manual how to do a simple thing) isn't great. And as mentioned ... if you need technial assistance, you might be out of luck.

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 900

Ooh, I just realized that there are two Light Dome Pros. I didn't know that there was a newer Iray version. The one I use is Light Dome PRO - R. I haven't tried Light Dome Pro Iray.

mcorr said:

Photoshop CS is (although it wasn't called that) Photoshop 8 (see my link above for version history). PS 5 is a few versions below that, but if the new LightDome actions feature is, nevertheless, working for you, then the product would appear to be working with a lower than advertised version of PS. Thanks for the info!

I've always called it Photoshop CS6, but that could be mostly because it was part of the Adobe Creative Suite of its time and I've never purchased Photoshop alone, always as part of the bundle with Adobe's other programs. I do want to clarify my version, though, so as not to accidentally mislead anyone. If you look at that page of versions of Photoshop, CS6 is listed as being Photoshop (13.0), released in 2012, not long before they moved on to CC and the subscription software model. 

• Could someone who has already bought and downloaded the product tell me what size(s) the 23 jpg images (fog, rain, etc) are?

All my renders need to be an absolute minimum of 6000px, and most image resources tend to be too small for my purposes. The examples shown look like things that could be enlarged and blurred slightly to hide any artifacts, but the bigger the better to begin with obviously.

• Could someone who has already bought and downloaded the product tell me what size(s) the 23 jpg images (fog, rain, etc) are?

All my renders need to be an absolute minimum of 6000px, and most image resources tend to be too small for my purposes. The examples shown look like things that could be enlarged and blurred slightly to hide any artifacts, but the bigger the better to begin with obviously.

See attached. This is one of the directories.

DL-Images.jpg
    405 x 519 - 102K
  • I am glad this is stated to work in GIMP.

That is a big plus as it is so effective and FREE.

Thanks. Some of these seem ok, others perhaps not so much.

No worries. That's about all the help I can provide. I just uninstalled it. Sadly, this item isn't for me.

Ooh, I just realized that there are two Light Dome Pros. I didn't know that there was a newer Iray version. The one I use is Light Dome PRO - R. I haven't tried Light Dome Pro Iray.

mcorr said:

I've always called it Photoshop CS6, but that could be mostly because it was part of the Adobe Creative Suite of its time and I've never purchased Photoshop alone, always as part of the bundle with Adobe's other programs. I do want to clarify my version, though, so as not to accidentally mislead anyone. If you look at that page of versions of Photoshop, CS6 is listed as being Photoshop (13.0), released in 2012, not long before they moved on to CC and the subscription software model. 

My bad ... you wrote CS6, which isn't PS6 (nor PS5 as I mistakenly typed). As you said, CS6 is, indeed, PS13, which means you are using a 5x higher version of PS (CS was CS1, but it was called CS) than Dreamlight has mentioned as the minimum (which is CS).

Could someone who has already bought and downloaded the product tell me what size(s) the 23 jpg images (fog, rain, etc) are?

No worries. That's about all the help I can provide. I just uninstalled it. Sadly, this item isn't for me

You used the old version a lot. What is it about the new one that you find insufficient or unsatisfactory?

• MartialMartial Posts: 404

I didn't have an issue, but I can see why there would be a problem. The file name is way too long. In my install it was 204 Characters! And I am installing to a pretty high directory.

X:\DAZ_Content\Library\General\Dreamlight\Light Dome PRO Iray - Superior Light With Layers\Dreamlight LightDomePROIray Videos\Dreamlight_LightDomePROIray_Videos_Part2\Video5_ManuallyAddingLayersInPSExtremeLayeringTechniques.wmv

Not sure how that got through testing, but you should open a ticket to get the file name shortened. Anyone installing to the typical subdirectories is probably going to get errors.

Thanks for reply

Finally , following your comment, i just put  the file on desktop and it was dezipped correctly

• Uninstalled and returned. Maybe next time...  Need to be more careful about my insta-buys.

• I am curious, having used the previous LDP a lot in the past and finding then very useful, what issues are people having? Is it the video only documentation and difficulty using, or something else?
  • Comparing this LDP and the previous versions is like apples and oranges.

I found this version to be much less functional. The few benefits that it provides are already in other products.

There is also a generally questionable approach to it... The videos instead of instructions...  The length of the file names... The Photoshop Action... It's just hard to justify the price tag.

• RubinaRubina Posts: 13

It is possible to use it with Photoshop Elements 15?

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I bought it and am returning it. I don’t  watch videos, I need a written instructions. This is not like the first one and I’m not liking it.

• Quixotry said:

mcorr said:

I was just looking at all these, trying to decide what I needed... Will the -R one work with iray? Or only 3Delight?  What really are the stat sheet differences between the dash-R and iray versions? 

Also, I don't know if it'll help anyone in this thread, but Photoshop comes with a script included in it's script library to open a number of images as layers in one document.  You just go:

File > Scripts > Load Files into Stack 

• I bought it and am returning it. I don’t  watch videos, I need a written instructions. This is not like the first one and I’m not liking it.

Not just that but - I mean, I learn very well in a lecture setting. I love reading, but I have ot read something several times for it to really stick, sometimes. Lecture? I don't even take notes (Well, I didn't, when I was younger, at least.  There have been times when a professor asked what s/he said about X in the last class session, I just repeated it, verbatim.  I can repeat pages of dialog from movies or TV shows I saw over a decade ago. 

Pardon me - I digress. The point is, I _do_ like learning from audio / video tutorials, and with this guy, no printed manual would be a deal breaker for me, too. I don't mean to desparage, but his presentation style just drives me nuts.  I bought a Hexagon tutorial he did, and I shit you not, the first two videos are just him holding forth, showering you with is accumulated wisdom about the 3D universe in general. It's a very personable style, and I imagine it works great for a lot of people, and it's probably my probem, for being ASD/OCD/ADD/whatever, but I ain't one of 'em.

• So, in the above post, I gently complain about how he doesn't get to the point and stay on topic enough... And it took me to gigantic paragraphs to state that very simple opinion.

Now, that's funny.  True irony is somewhat rare in this world... Enjoy it. ;)

(Sorry, in other words. :) ) 

• PippenPippen Posts: 265

I bought it and am returning it. I don’t  watch videos, I need a written instructions. This is not like the first one and I’m not liking it.

Not just that but - I mean, I learn very well in a lecture setting. I love reading, but I have ot read something several times for it to really stick, sometimes. Lecture? I don't even take notes (Well, I didn't, when I was younger, at least.  There have been times when a professor asked what s/he said about X in the last class session, I just repeated it, verbatim.  I can repeat pages of dialog from movies or TV shows I saw over a decade ago. 

Pardon me - I digress. The point is, I _do_ like learning from audio / video tutorials, and with this guy, no printed manual would be a deal breaker for me, too. I don't mean to desparage, but his presentation style just drives me nuts.  I bought a Hexagon tutorial he did, and I kid you not, the first two videos are just him holding forth, showering you with is accumulated wisdom about the 3D universe in general. It's a very personable style, and I imagine it works great for a lot of people, and it's probably my probem, for being ASD/OCD/ADD/whatever, but I ain't one of 'em.

I stopped supporting him (buying his stuff). His customer support sucks. Once he has your money, he doesn't care. And yes, he is full of himself.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,576
    edited January 2019

...yeah I got turned off by all the "Sexy Victoria" tutorials I kept getting emails about.  Still love the original Light Dome Pro and Light Dome Pro2 though.  Wish the later versions were still a generic lightset/skydome plugin that worked entirely within Daz instead of making it a layered system that required postwork in a 2D programme.

As for Iray there are a number of really good HDRIs available.  The best in my book are the IBL Skies series by Denki Gaka (I purchased the entire Perfect Skies bundle).  They work in either Iray or 3DL. 

https://www.daz3d.com/ibl-skies-perfect-skies-bundle

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • I know alot of people don't like facebook. Though Dreamlight "Val"  runs a group there. Where you can ask him all the questions. The easy way to communicate with him as well as many knowledgable people that might be able to help you with any of his products.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/createamazing3dart