Lights through solid objects

I am working on a project but when I pan out to look at the enviroment from above, the lights installed on the cars continue through the "solid" buildings and cast no shadows.  I have also noticed that the way that it looks on my screen and the render is totally different, screen Dark ( making a night scene) render looks like daylight . 

Is there a setting for the lights that I am missing? Plus I cannot adjust the falloff for the lights so my spotlight continue all the way through the scene.

bandicam 2018-11-27 18-50-58-525.jpg
2552 x 1001 - 462K
Lights not working.jpg
1280 x 720 - 587K
Lights not working.jpg
1280 x 720 - 587K

Comments

• A few questions to narrow the field:

Are you rendering in Iray or 3Delight?

These lights "installed on the cars," what kind of lights are they? Spot lights? point lights? emissive surfaces?

The fact that it's dark in the preview screen may just be because the Preview Lights are on (check the bottom of the Window menu to find out). The preview lights allow for some kinds of lighting, but ignore others - if you have mesh lights or HDRI lighting in your scene they won't show in the preview (making it very dark) but will show in the final render.

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

This would have to be a 3Delight render as Iray doesn't give you that much control over shadows. A couple of things to check...

1. If I'm correct that you're using 3Delight to render, make sure you aren't using an Iray shader on the lights. There's no telling what the automatic conversion of shaders might have done with those.

2. On the 3Delight shaders for the lights, make sure that you have a shadow option selected, either Raytraced or Deep Shadow Map

3. If both of the above are set correctly, make sure you haven't set shader values on the building surfaces which would prohibit them from casting shadows.

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210
    Looking at the first image it looks like you're rendering with Intermediate OpenGL. If that's what you want to use, that's fine, but it's not a very sophisticated renderer. It doesn't do raytracing that I'm aware of and it would explain why your lights appear to shine through buildings. 3delight and Iray would both fix that issue.
  • Chris 2599934 

I have rendered in 3Delight, but the lights from the police cars still penetrate the building and shine on the buildings behind them.  The lights on the cars are multiple.  I have spot lights for the headlights, so they have a cone effect to illuminate the crime scene planned.  Now I have point lights illuminating the front of the car for reflective light.  Point lights on the top light bar and the rear tail lights.  The point lights on the top of the bar I know I have some adjustment to make but they also penetrate the buildings around them.  I have the preview lights on so I can light the scene the way I invision it.  "mesh lights or HDRI lighting in your scene they won't show in the preview" . Where do I check for this?

Jonny Ray,

I dont have that much experience with lights in a scene.  I dont know where to check the Iray shader information.  

I am going to watch the Tutorials after this post.  Thanks for the information.

Kitsumo,

I trendered the scene in 3Delight and that is the first image.  The second render is Iray.

I currently have the current system:

i-7 6700k

I have looked for the shadow settings but I cannot find them

• Sorry if this is posted twice,

Chris-2599934,

I am rendering in 3Delight and the renders are included. I have also included the rendered in iRay scene. I have the preview lights on so I create the scene as I want it to look and not have to keep rendereing it to see what it looks like.  Where do I find the mesh lights or HDRI lighting settings?  I can check them so I know that the lighting is either going to be darker or brighter than what I am looking at during set up.

Jonny Ray,

Where do I check on the shaders for the lights? I cannot find where to select shadow option, thus do not know if I am using Raytraced or deep shadow maps.  Thank you for the tutorals I will watch them after this post.

Kitsumo,

I have rendered in 3Delight and Iray and those renders are encluded below.

The NVIDIA Iray came out nice.

3d delight.jpg
    2730 x 1536 - 2M
    NVIDIA .jpg
    2730 x 1536 - 2M
  • KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

I've seen this in 3delight before, but I don't know enough about 3dl to give you any advice.

• My system i7-6700 4.0 GHz, 32gb ram with Nvidia Gforce GTX180 X2 win 10

• glaseyeglaseye Posts: 1,305

for the buildings, check the Parameters/Display tab if 'Cast Shadows' is set to on

3dl-shadow_on.jpg
    583 x 447 - 88K
  • Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    Anaark said:

Where do I check on the shaders for the lights? I cannot find where to select shadow option, thus do not know if I am using Raytraced or deep shadow maps. 

Select the light, go to parameters pane/light. There look for shadow type and select raytraced shadows. Also make sure in the render settings pane you have traytrace depth at min 1. If at 0 there will be no raytracing;)