Black Friday sale is BORING... Thank You DAZ

Comments

• Went in on the Samurai robe. That THING! - will be used for everyone. Dirty/dingy for the peasants and farmers, regal shaders for the emperor and normal plain for common ronin and such. That's a wonderful addition to the library. I'm also all over the internet doing the Black Friday thing. I got some cheapo greebles and a ton of post-work software. Slowly gearing up for next year.

any software you could recommend? 

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
    edited November 2018

For Post Work......

In the course I presented, https://www.daz3d.com/comic-book-creation--foundation-course-part-2

I covered....

Particle Shop. https://www.painterartist.com/en/product/particleshop/

It works as a Plug in in Photoshop and (of course they have the same brushes for THEIR flagship program Painter)

In Photoshop, you activate the plug in and it takes you to their interface where you can apply all sorts of brushes (that you buy separately [even in the same interface]). You can save the new artwork or save 'just the newly added brush strokes' and when you dump back to Photoshop you'll have all the new brushwork as a new layer.

I use it for lots of special effects and to enhance renders. That's also in the course....

I cover several programs to make planets and outer space....

Along with that, I updated my Grand Designer [planet-making app I covered] which added Large cities and other formations to the surface of the planet and a bunch of other features.

I snagged an animation app to add 3d effects to 2d artwork, you know, water shimmering and stars blinking.....

I'm getting back into painting so I grabbed a bunch of painting programs and drawing apps.

I have Clip Art Studio (formerly Manga Studio) for drawing/coloring and may still add open canvass and Krita....I have Rebelle 2 for painting now.

Post edited by Cris Palomino on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I still think they need to space out the PA sale and the PC sale as it comes too close to Black Friday/Xmas sales. 

PA sale mid year maybe? PC sale is an anniversary one so I guess it has to stay October.

PA Sale June/July.....PC October so it actually runs the full month of Oct starting on the 1st to 31st.

then it's a month almost till Black Friday. 

Space them out cos we've got used to major sales/savings for quite a while, hence the Black Friday one being a bit underwhelming. 

• I still managed to buy two more things though

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Well now I'm kinda frustrated because they've added gift cards with a discount. If I knew the sale would be extended and gift cards would be discounted, I would have bought a gift card to get the stuff I just bought about two hours ago. Of course, if I'd gambled on the sale being extended, it wouldn't have been and I wouldn't have gotten anything, so...yeah.

• HorusRaHorusRa Posts: 1,662
    I too must admit checking out Rendos sale and spending cash there instead. Rendo not being as expensive as daz means 50% goes a lot further. I picked up one black Friday item from daz yesterday for $9.00, that will be the limit of my purchases for this offering.
  • So I take it we are not getting any new products for 4 day ?

• WinterMoonWinterMoon Posts: 1,893
    HorusRa said:
    I too must admit checking out Rendos sale and spending cash there instead. Rendo not being as expensive as daz means 50% goes a lot further. 

That's true, but Rendo is mainly a fashion boutique whereas DAZ is like a department store. There's a lot of stuff they just don't have over there.

I've only got a select few items from Rendo, because TBH I don't find their deals all that great, most of the time. My friend, who's more of a regular customer there, told me that they rarely ever go 50%, so this was the best chance in a while to get the one item I really wanted from there. So yeah, I spent nearly $30 at Rendo, and nothing at Daz, yesterday. Because... I know the stuff I want from here will probably show up as an even better deal, if I'm just patient.

• BradCarstenBradCarsten Posts: 856
    edited November 2018

For Post Work......

In the course I presented, https://www.daz3d.com/comic-book-creation--foundation-course-part-2

I covered....

Particle Shop. https://www.painterartist.com/en/product/particleshop/

It works as a Plug in in Photoshop and (of course they have the same brushes for THEIR flagship program Painter)

In Photoshop, you activate the plug in and it takes you to their interface where you can apply all sorts of brushes (that you buy separately [even in the same interface]). You can save the new artwork or save 'just the newly added brush strokes' and when you dump back to Photoshop you'll have all the new brushwork as a new layer.

I use it for lots of special effects and to enhance renders. That's also in the course....

I cover several programs to make planets and outer space....

Along with that, I updated my Grand Designer [planet-making app I covered] which added Large cities and other formations to the surface of the planet and a bunch of other features.

I snagged an animation app to add 3d effects to 2d artwork, you know, water shimmering and stars blinking.....

I'm getting back into painting so I grabbed a bunch of painting programs and drawing apps.

I have Clip Art Studio (formerly Manga Studio) for drawing/coloring and may still add open canvass and Krita....I have Rebelle 2 for painting now.

Some interesting items there to check out. Thanks for the recommendations. 

• CybersoxCybersox Posts: 8,757

Well now I'm kinda frustrated because they've added gift cards with a discount. If I knew the sale would be extended and gift cards would be discounted, I would have bought a gift card to get the stuff I just bought about two hours ago. Of course, if I'd gambled on the sale being extended, it wouldn't have been and I wouldn't have gotten anything, so...yeah.

Or you could gamble that tomorrow there'll be 20% off gift cards :)  But yeah, if I'd just spent a bunch of money here on friday, I'd have been ticked off too.  I have to wonder if the GC thing wasn't suddenly tacked on because the sales were lower than expected on BF...

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
    edited November 2018

Yes, this is the animation-adding program.

http://www.animationsoftware7.com/

I grabbed it on STEAM for the Black Friday savings...sale....

TigerAnne said:
    HorusRa said:
    I too must admit checking out Rendos sale and spending cash there instead. Rendo not being as expensive as daz means 50% goes a lot further. 

That's true, but Rendo is mainly a fashion boutique whereas DAZ is like a department store. There's a lot of stuff they just don't have over there.

I've only got a select few items from Rendo, because TBH I don't find their deals all that great, most of the time. My friend, who's more of a regular customer there, told me that they rarely ever go 50%, so this was the best chance in a while to get the one item I really wanted from there. So yeah, I spent nearly $30 at Rendo, and nothing at Daz, yesterday. Because... I know the stuff I want from here will probably show up as an even better deal, if I'm just patient.

I compare Rendo more to a Flea Market than a Fashion Boutique, not because of the quality of the goods, as many are excellent, but because of 1.) the incredible level of redundancy and clutter... at least 50% of the products there are just texture sets for other vendor's products, including many for items that are on sale at DAZ... and 2.) a complete lack of consistant rules when it come \s to discounting and coupons.  There are vendors who never let coupons be used, ever, and others who are constantly running BOGO sales and 60%+ off discounts.  It's a very chaotic shopping experience, which is why 75% of my own pruchases come from DAZ.. 

So I take it we are not getting any new products for 4 day ?

Looks that way...

jakiblue said:

I still think they need to space out the PA sale and the PC sale as it comes too close to Black Friday/Xmas sales. 

PA sale mid year maybe? PC sale is an anniversary one so I guess it has to stay October.

PA Sale June/July.....PC October so it actually runs the full month of Oct starting on the 1st to 31st.

then it's a month almost till Black Friday. 

Space them out cos we've got used to major sales/savings for quite a while, hence the Black Friday one being a bit underwhelming. 

100% agree.  There were a lot of new products that came out during the PC+ sale that I had to wishlist  that I would have bought if my wallet wasn't screaming every time I opened it. 

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I have the time now and interest to shop but I’ve bought the older content I needed. Too bad new stuff won’t be on offer here but I understand it is the holidays.

• So, a gift card sale was added on, within a couple days of back to back gift card promos? And people posting at that time that they didn't care for 2 of those so close together? Okay.

• BarubaryBarubary Posts: 1,201

Same here. And the stuff I bought? It's the stuff I would have gotten 30% cheaper anyway if they hadn't cancelled their 'Holiday Shopping is Easier with a Discounted Gift Card' suddenly after a single day. indecision

I'd say the way they laid out their different sales this week was....not ideal.

• davesodaveso Posts: 6,426

gotta have money to save money. the gift card deal is decent right now if you also buy Lee 8 Pro bundle..you can get 28% off a gift card. So if you have the cash, a good time to grab one. 

Rendo ... I like it a lot. Go to DEALS page and the big deals are listed. They have a lot of unique items. I feel DAZ is a repeat performance... Every character is redone for every new generation of figures, and then characters for those. 

So, a gift card sale was added on, within a couple days of back to back gift card promos? And people posting at that time that they didn't care for 2 of those so close together? Okay.

No.  The complaint is that the first Gift Card sale was discontinued just prior to Thanksgiving.  THEN the Black Friday sale started with no GC option available.  Then the day AFTER the "One Day Only" Black Friday sale was supposed to be over, the exact same sale was run but with the option to buy a gift card first, thereby saving an extra 10%.  Meaning that people who spent $XX money on Black Friday could have saved an extra 10% if they'd just waited.  Seems like a perfectly reasonable reason to be irritated. 

And yes, sure, they could theoretically return the whole lot, buy a GC and thenrebuy everything again to save the extra money, but that means paying DAZ the whole $XX twice and having it sit in store credit, which is not really an option for those on a budget.  

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140

I pared 4 more items off of my wishlist and I haven't really been buying a whole lot lately. So I guess it wasn't all bad...the things I got are not usually on sale.

Laurie

• Oso3D said:
    Oso3D said:

If I had a new release that was put on 50% sale I'd be pulling out a knife.

50% of something is still better that 0% of nothing

That only applies to the people right on the knife edge, who wouldn’t pay at 30% but would at 50%.

Because at 50% I lose money on all the folks who would buy it regardless.

No you do not lose money.... You cannot lose money on a digital item because once created the item costs you nothing to sell....   The sale,,, even at a discount still gives you revenue.    If you are considering this to be the same as a physical item for sale where every item has a cost to make and ship then you are compairing apples to oranges.....     A digital item, once created costs you nothing to sell...

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Let's say I have a $20 product.

Situation A:

At 30% off, 20 people buy it, $280.

At 50% off, 20 people buy it and the price encourages 2 more people to buy it, $220.

I've lost money by having it priced at 50% off.

Obviously, it highly depends on how many of those extra sales one imagines the price point making.

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,022
    Oso3D said:
    Oso3D said:

If I had a new release that was put on 50% sale I'd be pulling out a knife.

50% of something is still better that 0% of nothing

That only applies to the people right on the knife edge, who wouldn’t pay at 30% but would at 50%.

Because at 50% I lose money on all the folks who would buy it regardless.

No you do not lose money.... You cannot lose money on a digital item because once created the item costs you nothing to sell....   The sale,,, even at a discount still gives you revenue.    If you are considering this to be the same as a physical item for sale where every item has a cost to make and ship then you are compairing apples to oranges.....     A digital item, once created costs you nothing to sell...

Of course you can lose money on a digital item! If you don't sell enough copies to recoup the time and money you invested creating it then you lose money!

And in that case they would lose revenue : if you take an item with a full price of $20 for example, and imagine 100 people would buy it at 30% off, then the vendor would get 70$ after Daz cut. If that item is sold at 50% off the vendors would get only 50$ from those 100 people, and unless 40 more people buy it at 50% off to offset the difference then they would get less money overall than if they sold it at 30% off.

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

Your analogy is off, the goal is to recoup the cost vs the time invested in producing (ROI - return on investment) and as been posted many times in the forums the majority of sales come in the short time period right after release. After they make up the ROI (which really never happens here from what I have read) then your analogy can come into play since it is a digital store with digital items.

•  

Never believe DAZ's "TODAY ONLY!" marketing tricks - especially on a weekend. Almost every time, the next day, the banner proclaims, "EXTENDED".

They're just trying to get you to pull the trigger on stuff you're not entirely sure about, because you think if you don't buy it that day, you'll have to wait for a while for it to go on sale again.

There wasn't much they could do today other than add something like a gift card offer. They painted themselves into a corner with the whole store being 50% off. The discounts couldn't go up today, or else people would just ask for refunds and buy the stuff they bought yesterday again at the lower price. Tomorrow it'll probably be 10% off a gift card - no purchase needed, and 15% off a gift card with a purchase of X, Y, or Z.

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,127

Aeon Soul was hardly ever on sale under their various names at other stores .... and their quality is still as great with futuristic creativeness.... so 50% off seems like a great bargain  to look over what little I don't already own. 

• wolf359wolf359 Posts: 3,762

"Of course you can lose money on a digital item! If you don't sell enough copies to recoup the time and money you
     invested creating it then you lose money!"

This IMHO, is still entirely subjective and cannot be intellectually
    or economiclly compared to traditional, tangible product manufacturing ..even automated production
    with minimum labor costs

Even if we assume that every Daz content creator was using Blender for everything
    and not needing to recoup any cost of software purchases.

"The value of my time invested" ,is completely subjective and arbitrary
    as there is no universally agreed upon standard pricing or dollar value
    For ONE copy of some textured 3D model or pose set etc. cobbled and formated for use in a specific
    FREE computer program, by a cottage industrialist.

And in this day and age creating a 3D model or texture set is not even
    close to being a rarified skill and IMHO 3D models and morphs.pose set etc have no intrinsic value
    except perhaps in the case of them being used as Data to send to a 3D printer
    to produce a tangible object of some utilitarian purpose.

IMHO, The only prevailing factor in this market is the total number of people who
    buy a copy of your digital product..at any price.

And the only thing one can do the raise that number is to have an amazing 
    promo presentation that will set your product apart during that tiny
    window before it gets buried and forgotten.

IMHO The "I loss money" debate is really is a matter of  subjective individual
    semantics and psychology .

• SnowSultanSnowSultan Posts: 3,507

Oh I'm not THAT mad about the gift card addition, it's just a little irritating when you spend more than usual. I did get some stuff I needed and was able to remake a character I haven't been able to since the original Genesis came out. It still holds true for some reason: there's ten times as much female stuff as male stuff, but the male stuff almost always has much better textures.   :)

• Don't forget, Cyber Monday is coming! laugh

• Sorry Daz. Spent my money over at Rendo. I have alot of wishlisted items over there that practically never go on sale, so I made quite a few purchases. I have a couple items in the cart here, but I may have already spent my budget so I dont know if ill be able to pick them up.

50% off is always a nice cut, it just seems like everything here is always at least 50% off.

This discussion has been closed.