Black sclera issue

I know the problem with a character's sclera appearing black if the figure is a long way from the scene centre has been around for a while now. I searched the forums, but the only "fix" seems to be to group everything in the scene and move it all as one, until the figure is at the default scene centre.

I did this today to solve this issue in a scene I've been working on, but I'm wondering if there's a simpler fix for this? It's not very intuitive to load a figure, then load a large set such as Urban Future 5 for example, and try to move the whole set until it's properly positioned around the figure, rather than load the set first, then put the character where you want it within the environment. Also, what happens if some characters absolutely have to be well away from the scene centre? Then there's no fix?

perhaps this is something that's fixed in DS 4.11?

Comments

• I've written a script that makes the whole "move the character to (0,0,0) thing much easier - just select the character and run the script and everything is moved accordingly. Find it here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/284301/my-first-script-feedback-sought

+1 on the hope it's fixed in 4.11 though.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679

Nope. 3 years later, this issue STILL exists in the 4.11 beta.

Yeah.

• Running into the black scleara problem myself. Any one have any ideas?

• Running into the black scleara problem myself. Any one have any ideas?

For some reason, I'm having a rough time duplicating the issue, even though I know I've hit it before.  I had a guess that I haven't been able to test since the problem hasn't cropped back up in a while, but is the "black" sclera you're seeing actually a reflection of a surface that isn't lit up?  Say you have a camera facing a character, but the character is facing a blank wall that doesn't have lights aimed at it?  My guess is that the center of the scene (0,0,0) has enough ambient light to eliminate the problem, but at a goodly distance, that isn't the case.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    edited January 2019

You may not be using an environment large enough to duplicate it. A large outdoor set, with any HDRI can duplicate the issue. Like "Bend of the River". Considering that HDRI should fill the entire scene with light, it is not a reflection of a surface in the eyes. When I zoomed in on the model, I could see the whites of the eyes actually become transparent. I could see right through them to the back of the head, which of course being a 3D model is odd. This is obviously not normal and indeed a glitch.

Post edited by outrider42 on
  • For me, the whites of the eyeballs are just plain flat black. The most recent problem crops up with Joliette for Charolette 8. I've fiddled with every slider and color oppurtunity on the list, but nothing changes the color.

• I ran into a similar issue a while back and it turned out it was the Max Path Length setting in Render Settings, under Optimization. Any value other than -1 seems to result in black sclera.

• Only recently met this issue doing internal renders. I permanently keep Max Path Length at -1 so that is not the factor for me. Nor was the character too far from the center. After reading this page I played around with a few settings and what fixed it for me was the Instancing Optimization setting that I had it set on Memory. I changed it back to Speed, hit render, and the eyes immediately cleared to the correct white. Just have to stick to Speed setting?

• LenioTGLenioTG Posts: 2,118
    Bratpiper said:

Only recently met this issue doing internal renders. I permanently keep Max Path Length at -1 so that is not the factor for me. Nor was the character too far from the center. After reading this page I played around with a few settings and what fixed it for me was the Instancing Optimization setting that I had it set on Memory. I changed it back to Speed, hit render, and the eyes immediately cleared to the correct white. Just have to stick to Speed setting?

Oh...I had the same issue! I can't set it to "speed"...too little VRAM!

• w00tusw00tus Posts: 20

I've written a script that makes the whole "move the character to (0,0,0) thing much easier - just select the character and run the script and everything is moved accordingly. Find it here:

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/284301/my-first-script-feedback-sought

+1 on the hope it's fixed in 4.11 though.

This man's good deeds shall be sang in song for a thousand years.

And I put some instructions on how to actually use his script for the ubernoob such as myself in a comment on that thread.

• LenioTG said:

Oh...I had the same issue! I can't set it to "speed"...too little VRAM!

I've found that *sometimes* toggling the setting will fix it. Who knows why? :)

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

As for the black eyes it has been reported that's a iray issue. And it is resolved bringing the character near the scene center. Of course this also happens if there are not enough light bounces to compute the surface (max path lenght) but this is another case.

As for the instancing optimization it is intended for geometry instances, it has nothing to do with character eyes. Then if it works to fix the issue it means things are very messy indeed.

• codex34_f5f1fb6f55codex34_f5f1fb6f55 Posts: 148
    edited February 2020

Just tested this as I've never seen it, with instancing optimization set to memory, the eyes start to go black near X=250, with it set to auto or speed they start to turn black at X=5,000. Skin geometry deleted, camera and character with null as parent, moving the null.  Set the x distance to 9,000,000 and your entire figure is just garbage (and irreparably damaged).

Also added the custom eyes I use, there good above 10,000, issues at 100,000 but so did the figure geometry, daz eyes are useless at 10,000.

Daz needs new eyes that don't rely on a second layer for the wetness,  funny thing is, the ones they have now would work if the cornea and sclera shared the same surface.

It's true what they say, know your limits.....

Post edited by codex34_f5f1fb6f55 on
  • Just tested this as I've never seen it, with instancing optimization set to memory, the eyes start to go black near X=250, with it set to auto or speed they start to turn black at X=5,000. Skin geometry deleted, camera and character with null as parent, moving the null.  Set the x distance to 9,000,000 and your entire figure is just garbage (and irreparably damaged).

Also added the custom eyes I use, there good above 10,000, issues at 100,000 but so did the figure geometry, daz eyes are useless at 10,000.

Daz needs new eyes that don't rely on a second layer for the wetness,  funny thing is, the ones they have now would work if the cornea and sclera shared the same surface.

It's true what they say, know your limits.....

True. I did the same test as this glitch is new to me as well. I have all my instances set to 'Auto' and is why i've never had a problem anywhere.