Tau 463

acharyapolinaacharyapolina Posts: 726
edited November 2018 in Art Studio

Hi, just wanted to post an art piece I recently completed. It is kind of a combination of Scifi and Fantasy, but it was just a fun piece to do. Hope everyone enjoys it. :) Comments and critiques are most welcome.

I call the piece Tau 463, the outfit I used was the 300X EV Suit for Genesis 8 Female(s) and the scene was rendered in Vue and Daz3d

Thanks.

Post edited by acharyapolina on

Comments

• JonnyRayJonnyRay Posts: 1,744

Comment: There are a lot of things to like here. Overall the image feels really well put together. At a glance it looks great.

(Since you asked...)

Critiques

Starting with what I really like.

1. The composition / framing is well done. The image has a nice flow as you start at the top with the blue sky and your eyes are pulled down vertically to the character in the background and their wave the the path on the ground naturally lead you to the character in the foreground. I don't feel like I have to "work" to take in the image and I like that.
    2. The colors are also nice with the cool blues in the sky and the background terrain / buildings blending into the richer and warmer colors in the foreground.
    3. Speaking of blending, the pieces seem to blend well, I don't know how you composited it, but I don't feel like there's a big seam or cutoff from background to foreground; so technically well done there.

Two areas for improvement

At first I couldn't figure out why the figure in back felt "off" to me. Then I realized there were two things.

1. The first thing I noticed was that the pose feels a little "stiff" to me. I know he's waving, and that kind of movement is hard to capture in a still image. But the way his left shoulder is raised looks a bit unnatural in that static pose. If you dropped the shoulder and elbow slightly, then raised his hand it might feel a little better?
    2. But focusing on him really highlighted the shadow / lighting problem. His shadow is pointing much more back in the image than the tree that he's standing right next to. In fact, the shadow of the tree should be falling across him a little, but it doesn't feel like it does. From this, I assume the character was rendered separately from the woods. A little adjustment on the angle of the sunlight for the character render along with some object to cast a shadow (which you could edit out when you composite them) would help make him feel like he's in the scene with the trees.
    3. I might guess that there would be a similar issue with the foreground character, but becuase of her angle to the camera you can't reall see that as well.

Now, those two things aside, remember that I said I liked the image. If you hadn't specifically asked for critiques, I wouldn't have even brought these up. The fact that the overall composition works so well would have made it easy to skip over those details and just enjoy the image for what it is. :)

• Hi JonnyRay, thank you so much for your great pointers about the shadows and his arm. These Critiques will help me improve the image, it is always great to get help from others for improvement. :)