Laptop suggestion - 2018/19

Dears,

I saw a few posts regarding laptop suggestions in the context of DAZ. As they are already a bit outdated I am posting the question again.

For me it is now slowly time to look for a new solution as my old laptop needs a replacement. I strongly prefer a laptop for mobility and space reasons.

Do you have any recommendation or experiences for laptops? For me processing speed and usability (screen resolution) are the most important criteria .. are there other factors as well?

Thanks a lot in advance for tips or suggestions :-)

Comments

• Yah, had the same issue recently, was using an iBM Lenovo T460 with 8GB RAM which is the max. Was a great work horse, I like them for the poitive feel of the keyboards and the robust way they deal with being thrown on the floor by a Labradour's tale or grandson. But the screen was naff for DAZ, which, let's face it, is not friendly when it comes to configuring the user interface. Render times were good until iRAY came along, then had to offload to a server.

My spec was i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 17" screen, SSD Operating disk at least, full SSD if poss and of course NVIDIA graphics, my budget was £1,000

I got the MSI GF72 17.3" screen,1TB SSD and 2TB Hard Drive with the GTX1050 graphics card. just scraped in at £1,000 with standard RAM, added the extra module myself and told the wife it was a bit for the car.

On the whole, delighted, the lack of a DVDROM drive still irritates at times, but you get used to it, got enough CPU punch to run three or four instances of DAZ and/or the other one and the graphics delivers complex caustic renders in a fraction of the time it takes my NVIDIA lacking server. The only confusting thing for me is if I tick the CPU usage for rendering it tail spins the laptop into a block of plastic while it runs, untick it and you get the same render times but can still use the Laptop! Don't get that at all.

No touch screen, I despise them, and to my total fury I cannot disable the touchpad, and I am supposed to know this stuff! Ended up taping over it. Not an issue with DAZ but I do a lot of writing and the touchpad kept helpfully re-positioning my cursor mid sentance.

Other downer is compared to my usual Lenovo gear the lid feels rather flimsy and I have to growl at the Grandson and throw treats at the dog to keep them from knocking it off my laptop stand while creating artistic scenes - ahem. Would not like to bet the MSI's survival chances on my paquet floor!

If you want to look down market a bit you do not need the i7 for DAZ, I needed that for 3DS MAX, likewise the 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD, 8GB and 256MB would be ample for DAZ.

One last item, if like me you love gadgets do not be lured by the illuminated keyboard, although it looks like an Alien machine and in fact is the same make, it has no customising function, you are stuck with red lights while my son's alien is lit up like a christmas tree on LSD.

• archgeo said:

Dears,

I saw a few posts regarding laptop suggestions in the context of DAZ. As they are already a bit outdated I am posting the question again.

For me it is now slowly time to look for a new solution as my old laptop needs a replacement. I strongly prefer a laptop for mobility and space reasons.

Do you have any recommendation or experiences for laptops? For me processing speed and usability (screen resolution) are the most important criteria .. are there other factors as well?

archgeo said:

Dears,

I tested a few different laptops as I needed something ok on battery too.

First I had an Alienware r17 with gsync screen and 1080 gtx card, it was nice but the problem with gsync is you cant dial down to the intel graphics when you want to do mundane stuff so your battery gets eaten alive in no time.

I tried the Mac Book Pro and it heated up so much from the CPU only rendering i could have used it for heating.

I ended up with the Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming which has a GTX 1060 with 6gig and to be honset I dont think there is much in the 2 gig difference from the gtx 1080 8 gig card on the full blown Alienware.

Its i7 has illuminated keys the case is deigned well for cooling, I am very pleased with it.

It also has thunderbolt but up till now Ive not needed it.

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

IMO. Dont use one.

There are lots of reasons to use a laptop: 3D isn't one of 'em.

If you must use a laptop (it takes priority over 3D considerations), get as big a screen, of a quality appropriate for graphics, as you can; get as much RAM, and as good a GPU as you can. If Iray is your thing, then obvious make the GPU a Nvidia one.

Consider CPU, Cooling and ease of adding/upgrading RAM and Hard Disks.

Make sure it has enough USBs for mouse, keyboard and extra storage options; and make sure you can plug at least one extra monitor in it.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Consider laptop but with eGPU, so with thunderbolt 3 connection.

• Thanks for the suggestions and updates! :-)