Hate to ask, but any good video card upgrades for $500 ish?

I really feel bad for asking such an open-ended question, but after poking around these boards I'm seeing so much detailed discussion on things that my head is beginning to swim in all the numbers. Especially the Quadro vs RTX stuff. Although I like having the horsepower, I'm just not a video card fanatic.

Here's what I have: GeForce GTX 980 ti 6GB

I'm just wondering if there's a $500 (ish) upgrade worth doing that would get me a significant boost in speed?

I don't do animation and I don't game, so those considerations aren't really anything I need to worry about.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

PS: The money's not burning a hole in my pocket – if there is something coming out by March or June of next year, I could easily hold off. I was just thinking that there might be some sales or deals worth catching as Christmas approaches.

Comments

• you might be able to get a RTX 2070 for $500 or close. That should be a pretty big step uo from a 980ti.

• you might be able to get a RTX 2070 for $500 or close. That should be a pretty big step uo from a 980ti.

The RTX 2070 can, indeed, be had for around $500.

I wonder though: It only has 2304 CUDA cores, whereas now I have 2816. Is that something to worry about?

• You get 8Gb VRAM which means you can render bigger scenes. The clock speed is significantly higher, 1410 Mhz vs 1000 Mhz) so that difference in number of CUDA cores may be less important. Eventually the RT cores will be supported by iRay, everyone assumes and Nvidia says, which based on what they've said will make a rather huge difference in rendering as well. Also the move from GDDR5 to GDDR6 VRAM means an overall increase in performance too.

If you look at the benchmark thread you can find numbers for the 2070. You should run you 980ti and see what you get for the same render. That will tell you pretty directly how the 2 cards compare.

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074
    edited November 2018

@mmitchell_houston

The 2070 Iray performance and support is unknown at this time. You can get a 1070 TI for $500 from Amazon. If  you haven't found the 6GB 980TI limiting, have yo considered adding a 1070 TI rather than replacing the 980 TI.

I am considering the same myself.

@kenshaw011267 "The clock speed is significantly higher, 1410 Mhz vs 1000 Mhz"

My MSI Armor 980 TI runs at 1300 MhZ out of the box. For Iray, clockspeed is a secondary ot tertiary effect. Number of CUDA cores is a primary impact, as is the difference in architecture across generations. It is yet to be demonstrated that the 20XX Iray performance is substantially different than the 10XX.

Post edited by fastbike1 on
  • ? there are 2070 benchmark runs that more than demonstrate iRay performance of the 2070. I literally have no idea what you are claiming.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,576

Hey Mike, are you rendering in DS/Iray now?

- Greg