Iray Materials RSL/MDL problems (MDL doesn't work?)

scummgrogscummgrog Posts: 10

I have a lot of confusion with the MDL and RSL materials.
I have an Nvidia GTX 960 card and selected Nvidia Iray as Engine in the Render Settings and Draw Settings.

I am testing with the Victoria 8 Model and as I understood it, for the Iray engine it is necessary to apply the MDL materials.

But it seems that when I apply a MDL- Victoria 8 All Maps material nothing happens (or almost nothing).
However, when I apply the RSL material if it looks better to the model and obvious changes are seen.

Default without All Maps applied

MDL All Maps Applied ( nothing change?)

RSL All Maps applied, (The figure has more volume (the skin), the color of the skin has changed, shine on the lips, the eyebrows disappear to have to apply later ... it seems that there are changes to better).

So, according to these tests, it seems that RSL does something and MDL does not work, am I right? Do I have something wrong? Is there something I do not understand well?

Thanks for the help

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• Victoria 8 loads with the MDL materials by default, that's why there was no change. If you reapply the MDL preset after the RSL it will revert to its load state. There is a browless version of the Iray materials too.

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

Also don't rely (fully) on the 'bare' viewport for what the materials applied will look like when rendered with the allied engine, as in the base viewport it is OpenGL doing the display.

• thanks a lot! So its all ok