Is it possible to build an iray ready desktop under a thousand

Comments

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,929

It is if you by an Gen 7 or Gen 8 intel i5 Acer Desktop for about $450 at Amazon and then find the best  nVidia card you can for the other $550. In others words, you're probably going to need to find a used good nVidia card somewhat cheap.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,721

Probably will get the first amount Monday or Tuesday then wait for the checks to come in to get the rest.

• lukon100lukon100 Posts: 761

Is the AMD A8-5500b Quad Core 3.20Ghz a good MPU for D/S - iRay - dForce work?

• No.

Piledriver CPU's were bad overall. The APU is not an Nvidia product so it cannot be used in iray. Even trying to use it in 3Delight would be a pretty terrible experience.

edited February 2019

No.

Piledriver CPU's were bad overall. The APU is not an Nvidia product so it cannot be used in iray. Even trying to use it in 3Delight would be a pretty terrible experience.

Thank you for your advice, kenshaw!

But would it be ok as a CPU in a computer that used an Nvidia video card?

Post edited by lukon100 on
  • lukon100 said:

No.

Thank you for your advice, kenshaw!

But would it be ok as a CPU in a computer that used an Nvidia video card?

It's a really bad CPU but it should just barely work.

• PadonePadone Posts: 3,481

It is definitely possible and easy. The configuration below will give you good performances. You will need to use the scene optimizer addon to fit the scene to the gpu, but this is almost always true even with 11G cards.

Also you can use the vega gpu for the viewport and the 2060 for rendering. This way you will maximize performances during rendering and avoid viewport slow-downs.

eur 350 - rtx 2060

eur 300 - ryzen 3 2200g 16G 500M2

eur 200 - case 650w 24" monitor

I got the case, the motherboard and the power supply from the list.  I am waiting for a check to come in to get the rest.  I also got a new keyboard and mouse for the desktop.

If I get the check soon I can get the other parts but it seems that the GPU is out of stock.

• kenshaw011267kenshaw011267 Posts: 3,805

If I get the check soon I can get the other parts but it seems that the GPU is out of stock.

Go to newegg and search for the lowest cost 2080ti in stock.

I have a major problem.  I got three parts of the computer.  The check I thought I was going to get did not happen.  These parts are the ones I have.  I can take pictures of them in a bit.  Ignoring the nVidia GPU what is the bare minimum that I need to get it usable?  I just have to save up my pennies to get the GPU another time.  I might be able to get the other parts with Mum's help but I highly doubt she will help me with a thousand dollar GPU.   Hmmm I have an idea for the OS, so basically what do I need to get it running till I can save up for the GPU.

Also does NewEgg gift cards expire?

neweggbox1.png
    1000 x 298 - 66K
    neweggbox2.png
    979 x 149 - 30K

Here are photos of the parts that just came in.

24B8C72F-6DC2-40BB-8E36-3D4B9AEFE848.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    559BDB04-D2D6-48BE-B7AC-5DA9C8930B4F.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    25CC7C1D-98AA-46D1-823A-FE04954E7A52.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    9D83A7A3-AB9F-47D4-A385-99C261013563.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    C02E838C-F51A-45A2-A1E6-44B2290E6AAF.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    84952D11-1D4F-46F7-AC42-025F289EB089.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 1M
    edited March 2019

Bare minimum you need a CPU, RAM and some sort of drive. 

Because the motherboard is AM4 you need an APU so you can use it without a GPU. Your best option is the R3 2200G. You can get one for less than $100. It uses Radeon graphics so it won't help with iray but it will get you up and running.

For RAM get a single 8Gb stick, about $50 at NewEgg.

For a cheap build get a 2 Tb HDD, You can get that for another $60. So at bare minimum you're about $200US from a usable system.

Post edited by kenshaw011267 on
    edited March 2019

Also keep in mind that ram should be at least 2x vram. So if you get a 6-8G gpu then you need 16G ram. Ryzen works best with fast dual-channel ram so I'd go with 2x 8G 3000+ that's about 90 eur not too much and you're ready to go.

EDIT. If you check my list above without the gpu it's about 500 eur and you have a complete ready system. If you leave out the monitor too it's 400 eur but you'll have to use your TV instead. Shipment and OS apart.

Post edited by Padone on

Is this a computer that can be upgraded to a decent iRay / Daz workhorse?: Dell Precision T5810 Xeon E5-1620 1TB AMD FirePro Windows 10

https://www.discountelectronics.com/dell-precision-t5810-xeon-e5-1620-1tb-amd-firepro-windows-10/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=featured

It would be free to me because my dad is offering to buy it for me.

I do not know how to a list other than on amazon. Here is the working list from Amazon.  Now to figure out the financial stuff.

That Ryzen CPU is a very good one but it lacks integrated graphics. If you buy it without a graphics card you will not have a working computer.

That Ryzen CPU is a very good one but it lacks integrated graphics. If you buy it without a graphics card you will not have a working computer.

My motherboard has it according to the box.  I already got the motherboard, the PSU and the case.

AA934F58-7C16-41AB-A3C4-0FE1CBCBA65B.jpeg
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
  • That Ryzen CPU is a very good one but it lacks integrated graphics. If you buy it without a graphics card you will not have a working computer.

My motherboard has it according to the box.  I already got the motherboard, the PSU and the case.

I think that is talking about connectors on the motherboard for use with the GPU on the CPU, if there is one, not a GPU on the motherboard. You need to pay careful attention to the specifications, the logos and shout-outs on the box are not going to tell you everything you need to know.

I think that is talking about connectors on the motherboard for use with the GPU on the CPU, if there is one, not a GPU on the motherboard. You need to pay careful attention to the specifications, the logos and shout-outs on the box are not going to tell you everything you need to know.

So I need a different cpu?

Is this one that is good?

Is this one that is good?

As a CPU it's just ok. But if you need to get up and running without a graphic card on AM4 it's your cheapest option.

lukon100 said:

Is this a computer that can be upgraded to a decent iRay / Daz workhorse?: Dell Precision T5810 Xeon E5-1620 1TB AMD FirePro Windows 10

Take it with 16G ram and replace the firepro with a 1060-70 or 2060-70 depending on your budget. The psu is ok already as wattage, but you may need to replace it if doesn't get a 6+2 pcie connector. I don't see space for fans inside the case, so go for a blower card.

edited March 2019

I do not know how to a list other than on amazon. Here is the working list from Amazon.  Now to figure out the financial stuff.

The monitor is excellent. The cpu is ok. The ram will work but it is not good for ryzen, you need a 3000+ dual channel that I linked below. The hd is good. The ssd is too small in my opinion you can get a 480 for just 20 bucks more.

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Vengeance-3000MHz-Desktop-Memory/dp/B0134EW7G8

EDIT. of course you will not have iray gpu rendering without a nvidia card, the ryzen vega is already good for the viewport though.

Post edited by Padone on
    Padone said:
    lukon100 said:

Take it with 16G ram and replace the firepro with a 1060-70 or 2060-70 depending on your budget. The psu is ok already as wattage, but you may need to replace it if doesn't get a 6+2 pcie connector. I don't see space for fans inside the case, so go for a blower card.

Thanks, Padone!

I'm going for this rig here, for which I will later obtain a 2060: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9B-1VK-001E-1V962

lukon100 said:

Thanks, Padone!

I'm going for this rig here, for which I will later obtain a 2060: https://www.neweggbusiness.com/product/product.aspx?item=9B-1VK-001E-1V962

That's an old but good rig apart from the case. Same suggestion as above go for a blower and be sure it can fit the case. Also you may have to replace the psu if it misses a pcie connector. I see in that case there's a top mounted psu and place for an additional rear fan.

I am not understanding something but I was told something was fraud and not sure if it had to do with my computer or not, but apparently someone wants me to return the parts I got.  What am I going to do with the gift card I used to get the items?

I am not understanding something but I was told something was fraud and not sure if it had to do with my computer or not, but apparently someone wants me to return the parts I got.  What am I going to do with the gift card I used to get the items?

Who told you to return the items? Make absolutely sure it really was the retailer or your bank.

My grandmother gave me some money to get the next part for the desktop. I know I cannot afford everything I need but just one more part.

Who told you to return the items? Make absolutely sure it really was the retailer or your bank.

It was neither.  Just an over zealous person wanting me to cut back on stuff.

• Roman_K2Roman_K2 Posts: 1,206

HP is famous for building their system with nonstandard components...

Just a side note - I came across one back in January and, thinking it would be ok, I took it to a dealer with the intention of adding whatever I needed. The dealer took one look and said it wasn't worth the bother! Ha ha, big disappointment. Coincidentally, as I was moping in the store -- my dreams of a new, spare box shattered crying -- I saw an almost identical HP box that was running in a corner. The dealer said was using it as a test bed sort of thing. So I asked him for a price if I took it off his hands. I think the final price was $100 but I probably spent $250 over the course of a few days - keyboards, mice, cables and some other stuff including a used "Gamer" sort of, all black power supply with REALLY THICK cables that has me completely re-thinking those gray metal power supplies that you usually get.

Anyway, it renders Iray (I usually start the render and leave the box running for a few weeks) but no question there have been issues. Like Hexagon won't run at all!

I still have the other black HP box... my thinking is that there might still be something in there worth keeping, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. And the box that got the slick Gamer power supply is still a "wip". smiley

P.S. I found the tutorials on Youtube mildly useful.