Grainy iray renders after 2 hours

Hello, I am pretty new to Daz3d and image rendering over-all. No matter what I do, All my renders come out grainy.

The render times are also ridiculously long. I am using my 980ti to render with OptiX Prime Acceleration enabled.

The lamps are using Emissive lighting with about 150m luminance each.

For Iray HDR I'm using the default "DRHDR-MauiA-Background" and I'm also using EcVh0's Cinematic Render Resource Kit for more light indoor.

The attached images are both from 2 hours render time using the settings described below.

Size: 1280x720 (16:9)

Render Mode: Photoreal

Max Samples: 15000

Rendering Quality: Off

As you can probably tell from the way I described my issue, I'm new. But, How do I get rid of the grain in the pictures and improve the quality? and most of all, how do I cut down that ridiculously long render time?

Thank you :)

Testingfuckuploadtodaz.png
1280 x 720 - 1M
Testingfuckuploadtodaz2.png
1280 x 720 - 1M

Comments

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

Grain free" and "faster" are mutually exclusive for any ray tracer IMO. More light or longer rendertimes probably will improve the quality. Or try the denoiser in the newest beta release;)

• Grain free" and "faster" are mutually exclusive for any ray tracer IMO. More light or longer rendertimes probably will improve the quality. Or try the denoiser in the newest beta release;)

dangit, Increasing the lighting even more would just make it look very unatural wouldn't it? I feel like the scene is as bright as it can get :/

So there's no trick to rendering this scene faster? If you look at the first picture with the glass wall you can easilyy see the graininess in the glass. Feels like I'd have to render for 24 hours if I wanted that glass to be clear..

edited November 2018
    zqueenkat said:

Grain free" and "faster" are mutually exclusive for any ray tracer IMO. More light or longer rendertimes probably will improve the quality. Or try the denoiser in the newest beta release;)

dangit, Increasing the lighting even more would just make it look very unatural wouldn't it? I feel like the scene is as bright as it can get :/

So there's no trick to rendering this scene faster? If you look at the first picture with the glass wall you can easilyy see the graininess in the glass. Feels like I'd have to render for 24 hours if I wanted that glass to be clear..

To be honest, I'm by no means an Iray expert, I don't use Iray because of the long rendertimeslaugh. Some people render at double size, then downscale the image, maybe that would be an option? I've also heared positive comments about the noise reduction I mentioned. Try the newest beta version, you can use it alongside with the version you have installed;)

And frankly, two hours isn't bad IMO, for a scene like that!

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • Alright I'll definitely try the noise reduction out :)

Yeah, That scene might have been a bad example, but this one took 5 and a half hours before it looked decent and not too grainy. I might be wrong but it just seems so long for such a simple picture. Especially on a 980ti. Feels like I'm doing something wrong :(

thirtyfour.png
    1280 x 720 - 1M
    edited November 2018
    zqueenkat said:

Alright I'll definitely try the noise reduction out :)

Yeah, That scene might have been a bad example, but this one took 5 and a half hours before it looked decent and not too grainy. I might be wrong but it just seems so long for such a simple picture. Especially on a 980ti. Feels like I'm doing something wrong :(

Hmm  5.5h seems a bit unreasonable to say the least;) You sure you're rendering in GPU mode?

Post edited by Sven Dullah on
  • ChezjuanChezjuan Posts: 502

I've had some renders that are relatively simple take more than 12 hours on a 1070 (definitely using the GPU). In general, I chalk that up to the specific environment I use. One example of this is Ironman 13's Hotel and Lounge environment. https://www.daz3d.com/i13-hotel-and-lounge-environment-with-poses. There are just so many places for light to go and bounce around that the render takes forever. 

It could be that the environment you're using has the same effect, if it is not dropping back to CPU based on the texture sizes.