G3 females HANDS

Hello

Strange things happen to my G3 female ACTORS: If I load saved scenes and then change the poses of G3 females, the hands go completely nuts! Instead of taking on new poses, they stretch out like tentacles. Who has similar problems? How can the problem be solved?

Comments

• This is only with saved scenes, not with a freshly loaded figure? Have you created/loaded new morphs (e.g. from and OBJ imported with Morph Loader) in the scene that have not been saved as assets?

• andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited November 2018

This is only with saved scenes, not with a freshly loaded figure? Have you created/loaded new morphs (e.g. from and OBJ imported with Morph Loader) in the scene that have not been saved as assets?

It happens with saved scenes. My Actors are usually strongly individualized (other skin, eyelashes etc.) That's why I'm pretty upset about the problem: I can fix the bug by reloading the basic character into the scene, but then I have to make all the adjustments again and lose a lot of time. Loading saved individual characters does not solve the problem, they will have the same bug.

The "tentacling" of the hands comes with new poses, regardless of whether using a pose of a purchased package or self made one, associated with a smartprop or not. It's all the same!

I have a special poses package for the hands. With the "Reset" function of this package, I can bring the hands back into a normal shape... but every attempt to change the basic pose afterwards leads to looooooong-tentacle fingers!

Post edited by andreretogasser on
  • But are there custom morphs applied that you haven't saved as assets - File>Save As>Support Assets>Morph Asset?

• But are there custom morphs applied that you haven't saved as assets - File>Save As>Support Assets>Morph Asset?

Nope! Everything saved as usual.

• That doesn't really answer the "are there custom morphs" question, though.

• andreretogasserandreretogasser Posts: 256
    edited November 2018

That doesn't really answer the "are there custom morphs" question, though.

True! :-)

No, I admit beeing a "lazy rookie"! I always save everything as a "scene" (and never had any issues - until now). Did not even know about the possibility of savig "Assets"..... not to mention it's implications.....

Post edited by andreretogasser on
  • Syrus_DanteSyrus_Dante Posts: 983
    edited November 2018

This "tentacling" issue shows up with poses applied when the rigging dosn't match the current shape. Thats why Richard asked for any custom morphs. Those could be made by yourself or you maybe using some custom freebie morphs that are not setup correctly. If its a commercial product I would contact the vendor. Once you found the culprit morph with the issue this is easy to fix but finding the morph with the issue may not be that simple.

Finding the problematic morph

First save a Character Preset this will save all customisations of the figure to the content library, it should serve you as a backup. Apply a pose where you see the tentacle hands. Next switch to the Joint Editor tool to see the bones on the figure. Then go to the Parameters pane and find the 'Currently Used' property group. Turn down the morph sliders there one by one (hold down Alt then left-click the slider turns it down quickly) and see if the tentacle hands go back to normal.

Fixing the problematic morph

To fix the issue first use Zero Figure them Memorize Figure from the Edit main menu, then turn up the problematic morph you just have identified. Next with the Joint Editor tool right-click the viewport and first choose Restore Rigging then Adjust Rigging to Shape. Then with the bones propery placed go to the Parameters pane right-click and choose Edit-Mode. Next right-click on the problematic morph and choose ERC-Freeze hit accept and thats it. There is more to say about the ERC-Freeze but I tried to keep it a simple explanaiton. This is a crucial point and its important that you use Zero Figure and Memorize Figure and you have nothing else in the scene but the figure so that with ERC-Freeze you only store the changes that had been made with Adjust Rigging to Shape to the morph. Then hit Accept and see if everything works like expected with the morph and the posed figure.

Saving the Morph Asset

If you now save your scene the changes you made to the morph only gets saved to this scene. If you want this morph to be fixed in general you need to save a Morph Asset. This can be done with File > Save As > Support Asset > Morph Asset. Actualy you don't want to save a new morph but save over the original.

This will include some extra steps, therefore go to the Parameters pane and click on the gear icon of the problematic morph slider. The Parameters Settings show up and you can select and copy the Morph Name (not the label that could be different). Then open the File Browser in windows aka explorer navigate to your Content Directory folder and seach for a file with the "Morph Name".

It should be sotred in the "data" folder the next folder is named by the Vendor followed by a folder with the Product and finaly a folder with the Item name. These three folder names are important to tell Daz Studio to save over this morph. Now use File > Save As > Support Asset > Morph Asset. Next in the dialogue you have to navigate the property tree to find and checkmark the morph you want to save. You will get asked to enter a Vendor-, Product- and Item- Name this can be tricky to fill in right. But since you should have the File Browser with the search result still opened you can copy paste those in from the folder names.

I hope that I explanied it not too complicated, its actualy fairly easy just much to descripe in detail.

Post edited by Syrus_Dante on
  • Well, it applies only to custom morphs - so if you are using existing morphs and dialing them in it shouldn't be an issue. I've seen it be a problem with morph projection, where the clothing stubbornly refuses to pick up the morph when the scene is reloaded, but not with ERC joint corrections (Adjust Rigging to Shape) which is what you seem to be losing in the scenes.