Moving product files from C: to D:

I have asked this question before but really havent figured out how it works.

I want to move many of my product files from C: Drive to D:Drive but still keep some in 
C: Drive. Question one: Do i have to create a folder in D:Drive for the stuff? Would the path D:\ DAZ be alright?

I know i have to change the path in DIM- I tried that but it still uploaded the files to the C: Drive
I also know i have to change the path inside DAZ also for the Poser folders.

Can someone explain step by step how i go about this. So i can store products in both drives and
have them aviable in my smart content folder and in content library.

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,061

Yes, you will need a base directory for your content on D: drive, and D:\DAZ would work.

There are step by step instructions on how to configure DIM and DS here:  https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/4042506/#Comment_4042506

Since you have content already installed I would also change one more setting in DIM, in the same screen as where you define the paths: Set "Content updates" to "Install to Selected path" so that when you update a product the new version is installed in D: folder.

• My 3D SpinMy 3D Spin Posts: 600
    edited November 2018

So i make a folder in D:Drive and name it Daz- Then i go to DIM (See attached image) and make changes in settings.
    Then i go to DAZ studio and change the paths in the Content Library ( See image 2)
    My new path will then be Local Disk (D:) Daz or just D: Daz

Is there anything else? 

Will my future installs show up in both Content Library and in Smart content?

DIM.jpg
    924 x 750 - 455K
    Content Library.jpg
    1366 x 768 - 303K
    Post edited by My 3D Spin on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,061

In DIM don't change the "32 bits software base" and "64 bits software base" path unless you want  to change where DS itself is installed. In that case you would have to create one install folder for 32 bits and one for 64 bits, you can't use the same gor bith or the same as for content.

In DS you will need to add "D:\Daz" to both Daz studio formats and Poser formats. Don't remove existing path if you want your content already installed to continue working!

Do you use Connect? Because you can only have one Connect path, so you can't have some installed on C: and some on D:
    If you want to change where Connect installs item you will have to move the whole Connect folder to D:

edited November 2018

Ok looks complicated. 

edited November 2018
    Leana said:

In DIM don't change the "32 bits software base" and "64 bits software base" path unless you want  to change where DS itself is installed. In that case you would have to create one install folder for 32 bits and one for 64 bits, you can't use the same gor bith or the same as for content.

In DS you will need to add "D:\Daz" to both Daz studio formats and Poser formats. Don't remove existing path if you want your content already installed to continue working!

Do you use Connect? Because you can only have one Connect path, so you can't have some installed on C: and some on D:
    If you want to change where Connect installs item you will have to move the whole Connect folder to D:

You mean my DAZ Connect Library with the Cloud folder etc..? Can i just move that to D: and change the path?
    Thats 140 GB i can move right there - 

• Yes, the database stores only relative paths so you can move the Connect directory.

edited November 2018

Yes, the database stores only relative paths so you can move the Connect directory.

Thanks for your reply- So i move the my "DAZ Connect Library" folder to the D:Drive
    and delete the folder in C:drive..

Could you advise me of the path,s and witch ones i have to change in DS to keep
    my product files i have now and where my future DAZ Connect files will end up.

I guess its both DAZ and Poser path,s 

This is very important for me as i only have 20 GB left on my C: Drive and i can see
    my computer is already struggling with just one Character in a scene and i cant buy
    any new products until i fixed this. When i started out with DAZ i had no problem
    with up to 5 Characters...

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
  • For reading, you could add the new location to both the daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats lists - but you do need an installation path too, so just set it as the Daz Connect Content Directory (at the top of the list) and that will be all that's needed.

edited November 2018

For reading, you could add the new location to both the daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats lists - but you do need an installation path too, so just set it as the Daz Connect Content Directory (at the top of the list) and that will be all that's needed.

If i just change the path of the Daz connect Directory and leave the paths  for daz Studio Formats and Poser Formats lists.
    I have stuff i have installed manually in My Library and would like to keep them in C:

But all the Daz Connect files to D:

• You have content in the Connect directory not installed by Connect? Or were you thinking I was saying change only the Connect directory? I wasn't doing the latter - I was saying, assumng the Connect directory has only Connect isntalled content, that it's enough to change that path - you don't need to add it to the other lists.

edited November 2018

You have content in the Connect directory not installed by Connect? Or were you thinking I was saying change only the Connect directory? I wasn't doing the latter - I was saying, assumng the Connect directory has only Connect isntalled content, that it's enough to change that path - you don't need to add it to the other lists.

I have 140 GB content installed by connect and i want to know if i can move these to D:Drive! And not move the Daz and Poser folders.

You know the Cloud folder...

• Yes, just move the folder and edit the reference in the the Content Directory Manager (Edit>Preferences>Content tab) to point to the new location.

edited November 2018

Yes, just move the folder and edit the reference in the the Content Directory Manager (Edit>Preferences>Content tab) to point to the new location.

What happens to all the Scenes and Subsets (DUF,s) i have created. I guess they will loose the reference path to all the content within them.
    Is there anyway to redirect them to the D: Folder?

• DS uses relative paths (the locations of files within the content diectory) in presets, scenes, and the database so your old files should still be found and should in turn find their content. Only Install Manager stores absolute paths.

edited November 2018

I have copied the Connect folder to the D: Drive and was going to edit the path in the Daz connect Data - When i got this message (See: Image)

As i understand it it warns me about the C: Drive folder and not about the new path to the D:Drive folder?
    Do i choose Yes or no?

Is it safe for me to delete the Connect folder in C:Drive when i have changed the path?

Daz connect path.jpg
    1500 x 1141 - 501K
  • Since you have (I assume) emptied the existing folder you don't need to keep it as a regular content directory. You would want to do so if you switched to using a different location for new installs, but had left the old ones in place.

• Thank you Richard for your help.

It all worked out and i have freed up 140 GB on my C:drive