Parameter help in 8.5

Maxim KovalenkoMaxim Kovalenko Posts: 4
edited December 1969 in Carrara Discussion

I stepped up from C8 to the new C8.5 and I have a question.

I'm using several V4 characters with character morphs added in Carrara (in order to get around the problem with torn meshes in the glute area on poses) Whenever I confrom clothing to the characters, the clothing conforms, but has problems with pokethrough.

I'll go into various areas of the clothing (chest, arms, thighs, etc. ) and try to adjust the appropriate parameter to fix the poke through, and the slider will automatically reset itself.

How do I keep this from happening? I know this didn't occur in C8. If this is some part of the sutofit function, how do I turn it off?

Any help you can give me would be most appreciated.

Comments

• Maxim KovalenkoMaxim Kovalenko Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Anyone out there have a clue on this? Like maybe a DAZ employee?

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

I stepped up from C8 to the new C8.5 and I have a question.

I'm using several V4 characters with character morphs added in Carrara (in order to get around the problem with torn meshes in the glute area on poses) Whenever I confrom clothing to the characters, the clothing conforms, but has problems with pokethrough.

I'll go into various areas of the clothing (chest, arms, thighs, etc. ) and try to adjust the appropriate parameter to fix the poke through, and the slider will automatically reset itself.

How do I keep this from happening? I know this didn't occur in C8. If this is some part of the sutofit function, how do I turn it off?

Any help you can give me would be most appreciated.

I am far from expert in anything Cararra, however I believe the issue you are experiencing is that you have an item of clothing applied to V4 that has (I think this is what it is called) Cross-Talk enabled morphs.

When this is the case, you must adjust the morphs on the V4 figure and the clothing morphs will then “follow-it”. If you try to adjust the clothing it will simply reset to the setting on the V4 figure.

The problem of poke-through can still occur however when the setting on the V4 figure exceeds what the clothing mesh can handle. You can “back-off” on the V4 morph settings or use magnets (on the clothing) to correct this.

I have just tried this in C8.5 (it took loading different clothing items until I found one with the “Cross-Talk” enabled).

I believe this was the case in C8.1 as well. Give me a few minutes I will test the same combination in C8.1, and report back.

Caution: This is my take on this and some of the terms I used might not be technically correct.

To see this is action, pick just one area on V4, change the morph setting and look at the same morph on the clothing and you should see that it changed to match the setting that you set on V4. Then try and change that setting on the clothing and you will see it “bounce-back” to the value you set on the V4 figure.

• kakmankakman Posts: 225
    edited December 1969

Okay, it is somewhat similar in C8.1. The difference is that when trying to change the setting on the clothing and it does not “bounce-back”, it simply has no affect.

To adjust the clothing morphs independent of the V4 morph, go the BODY PART of the clothing and you will see the morphs starting with PBM. If you adjust these they will adjust the clothing independent of the V4 setting.

This is the same in C8.5 and C8.1.

For my little test I used the Casual Chic top.

Note that in my little experiment here (in C8.1) if I select the BODY PART on the V4 figure all the morphs are set at zero and the slider is all the way to left. Setting a particular morph to -1, changes all the morph for that body part to -1, but it has no impact.

As I warned you I am no expert, just tenacious and willing to experiment. While many times I “find a way” I do not always understand the “why’s” right away.

Try not to get too frustrated with some things that appear to be inconsistent and be sure to seek out help on this forum. There are a lot of very generous people here, with a lot of knowledge and expertise that always seem willing to help and explain things – and most of all they are very patient. I know this from personal experience.

I hope that you were able to figure out what I was trying to explain in these two posts.

Possibly, someone will chime in that can explain the “why’s” and some of the technical information regarding PBM and FBM and the like.

• Maxim KovalenkoMaxim Kovalenko Posts: 4
    edited December 1969

Normally, I've had no problem with things in Carrara...heck, I've been with the thing since 5.0.

What got me is that before, I could go in and change things, and have them work without this snap back on settings. And all of a sudden, this starts happening :(

I noramlly don't deal with clothing that has crosstalk running either, which hurts as well. It looks like in this case, I am going to have to transfer the basic character morph over to the bodies of the clothing that's being used.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited December 1969

Perhaps. Or you might wish to simply use Carrara's modeling ability to correct the poke through. I do this all the time. I feel for you, that you're going through this now - when it wasn't evident before though. I've been having an opposite behavioral challenge. Suddenly things that used to give me horrible poke through do not in 8.5. Strange!

However, I have read an article where 3dage was helping with a problem revolving around certain morphs (Aiko 4, if I recall correctly) and Rogue Pilot came in with an amazing piece of knowledge. How he figured it out is beyond me. Running your V4 base figure through the Daz Studio Power Loader just once, loading every morph in your collection, resolved the issue. But not on versions that you've saved previously - those would need to be made over from scratch. So I tried it.
    To get my character over to the fresh V4, I used NLA Master Pose to save my original. Loaded in the new V4, added all of the morphs I needed, and went to the NLA tab > "Load Clip Data" and, voila! If something looks wrong (like mine did) it means that you didn't load in all of the correct morphs.

In your situation, with custom, anti-poke-through morphs, custom made by you in Carrara, this is an entirely different headache.

If there is any way that you think, because of what I've been saying, that I might be able to help further, please ask.

Sorry I've missed this.
    The threads are coming very quickly lately, and my time has been very limited.
    Kakman has certainly provided some excellent help - from a fellow who claims to not be an expert, eh? ;)

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,249
    edited December 1969

Perhaps. Or you might wish to simply use Carrara's modeling ability to correct the poke through. I do this all the time.
    What I meant by this is that I resolve the clothing - not the character ;)