Extend render time

I think it would be useful if Daz had could extend resume iray renders that reach their set time maximum, but still don't seem complete. Rather than starting again, a 'render more' or 'resume' button would be appreiated. That and/or have a 'render until complete' setting, rather than having to set a time maximum.

Comments

• As long as y are rendering to a window you should be able to click the button half-way down the left-hand edge to get a subsety of Render Settings, adjust the time, and click Resume.

• Carola OCarola O Posts: 3,823

You can turn off the time limit. If you turn the time to 0, disable the Rendering Quality and set the Max samples to it's max (15k) it should render until either those samples are reached, or you stop it. Not sure how well it works to do more than 15k samples (by using the cogwheel and raise the limit in there) but I'm sure there is someone that can answer that :)

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,674

I usually set render quality to like 500, time to 0, and add a bunch of zeros on min and max samples. Then I stop it when it looks clear enough for what I am doing.

• L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    edited October 2018

I think it would be useful if Daz had could extend resume iray renders that reach their set time maximum, but still don't seem complete. Rather than starting again, a 'render more' or 'resume' button would be appreiated. That and/or have a 'render until complete' setting, rather than having to set a time maximum.

You're right. It is useful. wink

As Carola O states, you can take control of the render length by making changes to the default settings under Render Settings->Progressive Rendering. If you want total control, do the following:

• Set Quality to Off. Convergence Ratio will no longer stop a render.
    • Set Max Time to 0 (zero.) This essentially turns off the parameter, and prevents Daz Studio from stopping a render based on time.
    • Set Max Samples to whatever you want and Daz Studio will stop the render when this value is reached.

Once I'm happy with a scene, I'll usually set it up to render all night, while I'm sleeping. Depending on how fast it renders within the first half hour or so, I may set Max Samples to well above the 15K limit. If I'm asleep and my render machine is running, it might as well continue rendering. I have actually created a default scene that is loaded when I load DS or click on New in the File menu. It already has the above settings, with Max Samples at 15K but limits for the parameter set to Off. I've never had any issues with rendering beyond the 15K default limit.

As Richard pointed out, if you render to a new window, (as opposed to directly to a file,) you have access to several render settings, including subsets of Progressive Rendering and Tone Mapping. Whether you stop the render by hitting the cancel button or the parameters were reached and it stopped on it's own, you can make changes to these settings and then hit the Resume button. If it was grayed out before making your changes, it will become available again. (If DS drops you back to the main screen when you accept changes to the parameters, don't be alarmed. Just switch back to the render window.) To access these parameters from the render window, you will need to click on the teeny-tiny arrow on the left edg, half-way down from the top of the window.

Post edited by L'Adair on
  • L'Adair said:

You're right. It is useful. wink

As Carola O states, you can take control of the render length by making changes to the default settings under Render Settings->Progressive Rendering. If you want total control, do the following:

• Set Quality to Off. Convergence Ratio will no longer stop a render.
    • Set Max Time to 0 (zero.) This essentially turns off the parameter, and prevents Daz Studio from stopping a render based on time.
    • Set Max Samples to whatever you want and Daz Studio will stop the render when this value is reached.

Once I'm happy with a scene, I'll usually set it up to render all night, while I'm sleeping. Depending on how fast it renders within the first half hour or so, I may set Max Samples to well above the 15K limit. If I'm asleep and my render machine is running, it might as well continue rendering. I have actually created a default scene that is loaded when I load DS or click on New in the File menu. It already has the above settings, with Max Samples at 15K but limits for the parameter set to Off. I've never had any issues with rendering beyond the 15K default limit.

As Richard pointed out, if you render to a new window, (as opposed to directly to a file,) you have access to several render settings, including subsets of Progressive Rendering and Tone Mapping. Whether you stop the render by hitting the cancel button or the parameters were reached and it stopped on it's own, you can make changes to these settings and then hit the Resume button. If it was grayed out before making your changes, it will become available again. (If DS drops you back to the main screen when you accept changes to the parameters, don't be alarmed. Just switch back to the render window.) To access these parameters from the render window, you will need to click on the teeny-tiny arrow on the left edg, half-way down from the top of the window.