Ds Ps

dholmdholm Posts: 115
edited December 1969 in New Users

I just installed the cellar from DAZ. I notice that that there are two groups that have the exact same icons one is call the Cellar Ds and one is called the Cellar Ps. I use DAZ 4.6 what is the difference between Ds and Ps. Is there is a list of what two and three letters mean or a manual for the software so I do not have to post basic questions?

Comments

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

The Ds should be the DAZ Studio version or the DAZ Studio textures. Poser items will load fine but often the textures do not look right in DS and the Creator supplies a DS version that will work better. Not all items will come in both versions or have textures for both programs.

• Scott LivingstonScott Livingston Posts: 4,331
    edited December 1969

"DS" refers to the DAZ Studio version of a product, while "Ps" stands for the Poser version. If you only use DAZ Studio then you only need the "DS" version (and if you only use Poser then you only need the "Ps" version). Note though that some products have downloads for "Companion files"...if you see, for instance, a Poser Core installer and DS Companion Files, you'll need to install both if you use DAZ Studio.

There is a Glossary of Terms here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/46/ It's not comprehensive but it contains lots of good basic (and some not-so-basic) information.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

dholm said:
    I just installed the cellar from DAZ. I notice that that there are two groups that have the exact same icons one is call the Cellar Ds and one is called the Cellar Ps. I use DAZ 4.6 what is the difference between Ds and Ps. Is there is a list of what two and three letters mean or a manual for the software so I do not have to post basic questions?

DS: DAZ Studio.

PS: Poser, or PhotoShop if it's a brush set.

To know which to install, look at two things:

1. Which program do you use? If both, install both; otherwise pick the one you use, but

2. Look at the file size, because DIM won't get this right with its filters. If the PS file is twice as big as the DS one you probably need to install both, because it's really a Poser product with DAZ materials included, and just installing the DS version will only get the mats. There are a LOT of older prop sets in this category.

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify, in most cases the DIM files are tagged correctly -- I've been reporting those which are incorrect as I find them, but they are certainly the exception rather than the rule.

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Just to clarify, in most cases the DIM files are tagged correctly -- I've been reporting those which are incorrect as I find them, but they are certainly the exception rather than the rule.

It's not that they're incorrect, it's that the definitions are inadequate (because the Poser files are required for the DS files to function). Is that something reporting will fix?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited September 2013

In my 1300 DS4.6 DIM installs only 1 failed to have ALL the proper files, and that was fixed in 1 day.

Post edited by Jaderail on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565
    edited December 1969

It's not that they're incorrect, it's that the definitions are inadequate (because the Poser files are required for the DS files to function). Is that something reporting will fix?

I have been reporting when StudioCF zips (which require the Poser version) are labeled as DS (which should not) and vice versa. But yes, for those who don't use DIM, the zip names need to be correct.