Disturbing Pop-up Dialogue Box

This morning, a pop-up appeared in Daz saying, "DazStudio would like to control this computer"

What in the world is that about!? "Control my computer!?"

Comments

• That sounds very odd - was that the exact message, in English? Could you tell what issued the message - the OS, security software, or something else?

• tdctdc Posts: 129

That sounds very odd - was that the exact message, in English? Could you tell what issued the message - the OS, security software, or something else?

The exact message was simply 

"DazStudio would like to control this computer"

This occurred after an update occurred within DAZ3DIM. After the update of a few products I closed DAZ3DIM and returned to Daz3D and that is when the dialogue box popped up.

I'm on a Mac running Mojave (10.14) and no paid security software since I do not visit unknown websites with this computer.

I have to admit, you saying it's odd makes me even more nervous. 

• Well, DIM wold have asked for elevated permissions (which may be phrased that way on a Mac) to update/install applications, plug-ins, and some sahders and scripts - but DS itself should not. Is it still happening, if you try to launch DS? If so please post a screen shot.

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,513

"Contrrol of the computer" in apple terrms means one of many different things. For example DropBox takes control of your computer when it syncs file with the server. (I don't have 10.14, yet.. working on it), biut in 10.13, under System Settimgs -> Security & Integrity, under Aiding tool, there is a list of programs "allowed to take control of your computer", Apple probably added some more filters to prevent that (which can be writing a file on the disk without your permission), if you do not allow it and the program is added to a trusted list. So, begin checking there, or maybe there is a new setting.

Apple annocued yesterday that all for signed applications not distributed through AppStore, the developers needs to send a notation to Apple about the application so the new GateKeeper in 10.14.1 can threat them nicely and stop warning users about potential dangerous software that is harmless but the system doesn't know that.