Yeah we've been here before

My life is in turmoil right now. I had to say goodbye to my brother since he had to move to a nursing home. My parents haven't been able to visit me because the 30-mile (one way) trip is too much. My Dad has his 91st birthday today. I moved from Maine to MN 4 years ago to be near family. Now they're out of reach.

I find it hard to keep up my excitement for DAZ. DAZ appears to have continual sales. I can't keep spending all that money. I experience a lot of frustration due to the limits of my iMac. Yet I hesitate to spend hundreds if dollars on a Pc just for DAZ studio.

Yeah I'm taking another break from DAZ.

Comments

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,596

Sounds you you need to take up modeling. There are plenty of apps to choose from, both free and paid. It will keep your mind busy.You don't need a beefy system to do it. There are comunities and tutorials for most apps. And you can showcase your finished items rendered in DS and use them in scenes or share them as freebies.

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,962

You can enjoy Daz with what you have, you don't have to keep buying more stuff

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,728

You are not the only one in the frustration boat.  Right now I am dealing with a lot of issues, but I do not want to derail this thread.  Basically someone who is a PITA, no internet at home, and job security issues just to name a few.  So glad I have not had to say good bye to my brother but I understand the pain as I was not able to say good bye to my grandmother a few years ago.  She is gone and I cannot say anything else to her.

My computer is acting up AKA will not run DS, but I will stay around for the forums as that is part of my great support system I think.

• Peter WadePeter Wade Posts: 1,604

Taking a break from buying stuff from Daz doesn't mean taking a break from Daz Studio. I often think I should take a break from buying new stuff and take more time using the stuff I've already got. I've got lots of stuff that's been hardly used and I seem to spend most of my time in Daz Studio categorising stuff, trying things out and doing test renders.

My approach to sales is not to buy things just because they are cheap or I can get something free. I only buy things I want and the special offers are just a bonus. Then again, there is a lot of stuff I want, but that's another problem.

FSMCDesigns' suggestion of modeling is a good one. It's something I've intended to do for a while. It would take longer to create a scene if I made the props myself, but if I could make sets to my requirements maybe I'd be less inclined to buy all sorts of different sets because I'd like to have them for particular types of scene.  Also, most new content these days seems to be highly detailed objects with high resolution textures. Perhaps you could make things that would work better on a more limited computer.

I'm sorry about your personal problems, I hope things work out well for you.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,593

...just had a HDD go south last week which had all my runtimes as well as years worth of scene files and characters I developed.  Was considering just throwing in the towel as well as I could not afford a recovery service (the drive had such a massive listing of bad sectors I stopped paging through it on the Windows Event Log). Yeah a pretty crushing blow, particularly when you are my age and not thrilled about the idea starting all over again,  However received a lot of encouragement which I took time to think about and went ahead with ordering a new drive (which should be here later today).

• KitsumoKitsumo Posts: 1,210

Modeling sounds like a good way to occupy your time. Even if you don't know anything about it, you can open a youtube video and Hexagon at the same time and just switch back and forth, following the tutorial. I take care of my 2 parents with dementia every day and I keep my laptop handy so I can model or look at tutorials whenever I get a break. As far as spending money on Daz, I think I could stop buying right now and still have enough content I've never touched to last me about a year or so. The main thing is find something to keep your mind active and, if necessary, help keep your mind off your troubles. Good luck and take care yes.

• Big Hugs. I hope you feel better soon. Nothing wrong with taking a break from spending and working with the content you have. It's got to be tough being separated from family and missing them so much. Art and other hobbies can be a soothing outlet in difficult times. Take care of yourself.

• best wishes and prayers sent.

• Ron KnightsRon Knights Posts: 1,740

I will never learn modeling. I have a hard time learning new software. I've never found any good documentation for Carrara etc, I just don't create stuff. I use it.

Everytime I get excited about doing a project, I run into obstacles. The stuff I need doesn't exist, etc.The I run into the limitations of my computer. I'd really need ti soend about $1,000 for a decent enough PC to handle DAZ Studio.

I don't want to wait hours for something to render. My creative process is a rather frenzied process. I keep going till I'm done.

Right now I don't have the internet or cable tv. I got behind on my bill. I find free wifi when I can,

Thanks everyone for your support. I hope you are able to rise above your own challenges.

...for years I had no net access so I would go to the corner coffeeshop to make and purchases and downloads. It cost me a couple zlotys for coffee or tea, but I got what I needed.  I also used to endure long render times and crashes (in 3DL) when I was still working on my duo core 32 bit notebook (with only 2 GB allocated to any programme I was using) and in spite of the frustration, kept at it.  I had another HDD die on me back then doing similar to what I experienced last week. Back then, none of those scene files or finished render images were ever recovered as the boot sector was corrupted (consumer notebooks didn't have the provision for dual drives and I didn't understand much about the technology at the time).  That incident made me think about quitting but I didn't then and after last week's incident, I am not giving up either.

kyoto kid, I am sorry for your losses. I congratulate you on your continued efforts to stay online, whatever,

I'm in a position where it is not convenient to just grab my 2009 Macbook and get to a library or taco bell to use free wifi. The Macbook has not always been reliable tor the years I've had it. The Macbook has a very small hard drive, etc. I would never use the Macbook to do DAZ stuff.

Rght now, my life is in turmoil. And, over the decades, I've encountered more frustration with 3D art than success. And I'm having difficulty reading this 13 inch screen.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045

Is there any way you could feed the video output through your television?

Right now I'm borrowing my brother's internet connection. He's moved out. Eventually his apartment will be officially returned to the landlord. It doesn't make any sense to connect to my brother's tv for a couple days. It's already a hassle to carry my messenger bag with the 2009 Macbook, That damned thing is heavy, and I've lost my muscle strength.

My cable tv and Internet are down till I pay the overdue bill.

Sometimes I can catch a free wifi signal in the lobby of my building. But I've run into some neighbors who;ve decided they don't like me. They've insulted me, etc. Ive mostly ignored them. But I feel like telling them off. THen again, I've lived here for 4 years, and am not ready to moave.

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,045
    edited October 2018

It wasn't the internet I was meaning. I meant could you connect the video out on the Mac book to your television and use the television as your screen?

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/use-your-tv-as-a-display-mchlp1206/mac

Post edited by Fishtales on
  • ebergerlyebergerly Posts: 3,255
    edited October 2018

Yeah I'm taking another break from DAZ.

I hear ya. I'm starting to feel the same way. Mostly because it seems like every other thread in these forums has become negativity and complaints and personal problems. Can't we dial back the negativity a bit? It's supposed to be "a fun and positive place to communicate" after all.  

Post edited by ebergerly on
  • RasberriRasberri Posts: 269
    edited October 2018

I am so sorry to hear about your brother.  I know what it is like to struggle, and with loss, and empathize with you.  Don't give up!!  Art can be so soothing in it's many forms.  I have found solice in my art. In my artistic journey I remember being a poor college student.. no internet back then.  I would collect magazines and cut beautiful pictures out and collect them in a file, then sketch/draw my own compilations.  After my mom passed I went and found all my old markers and pens and an old sheet and just drew all over it. 

I found a ton of models on the web from various free 3D websites-or those that feature some free models, some of which I have spent more time messing around with than with DAZ...took me a while to figure out how to get my modified freebies to show up in DAZ library. I also like to watch DAZ tutorials on Youtube.  There are some older modeling programs that work just fine on older PCs. I know I was able to get Bryce to run on some fairly old laptops.
    Sending encouragement hugs your way!!  Hang in there!

Post edited by Rasberri on

kyoto kid, I am sorry for your losses. I congratulate you on your continued efforts to stay online, whatever,

I'm in a position where it is not convenient to just grab my 2009 Macbook and get to a library or taco bell to use free wifi. The Macbook has not always been reliable tor the years I've had it. The Macbook has a very small hard drive, etc. I would never use the Macbook to do DAZ stuff.

Rght now, my life is in turmoil. And, over the decades, I've encountered more frustration with 3D art than success. And I'm having difficulty reading this 13 inch screen.

...what I would do was download the manual files onto my notebook then transfer them to the main system via USB stick when I got home. You can move those files to the DIM folders on your desktop and use the DIM to install them.

I have never found any decent DAZ or Poser-related tutorials in the past decade or so that I've been doing this. The best we might get is an outdated PDF manual. 

Yes, I can currently connect my Macbook to an external monitor. I also have the 27" iMac and a few other choices. Right now I just need to get ready for one last day of dealing with my brother's stuff, and get on with my own life.

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Hey Ron, DAZ actually has some nice tutorials on youtube!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LiKwN97sRDU

If you have a couple of computers you can watch on one and work along on the other.

Paintbox, I don't currently have a reliable connection. If I am lucky, I find a connection that allows me to read emails or post in forums. I can't setup my computers and watch YouTube in the lobby of my building. Thanks anyway for the effort,

• PaintboxPaintbox Posts: 1,633

Paintbox, I don't currently have a reliable connection. If I am lucky, I find a connection that allows me to read emails or post in forums. I can't setup my computers and watch YouTube in the lobby of my building. Thanks anyway for the effort,

Oh that sucks. If you move a lot a fast dataplan might also be an option. You can even use a mobile wireless hotspot with that. Unfortunately unlimited dataplans can be expensive or cheap depending on the locale. Best to check.

I do hope you find the space and time to create cool stuff!

I can get good internet here. I just fell behind on my bill.

...yeah I'm paying 59$ a month for mine, but I have a nice connect speed, no download caps, no throttling, and when I need assistance, no "upselling" of services I don't need or want, or dealing with someone for whom English is a second (or third) language (had Comcast/Xfinity and it was terrible as often I'd find myself being billed for services or upgrades I never ordered).

I had Comcast/XFinity here... I've been paying $200 a month. Next thing I knew, I needed $600 to catch up. ouch

edited October 2018

...yeah they kept trying to get me into one of their bundle plans, but already had a phone plan, and don't have a television (nor do I want one as most of the offerings are crap and the few channels I actually would have wanted raised the cost even more).

It was not uncommon to find I that was upgraded to their "Blast" service without ever asking for it which was like 85$ a month. I just needed the basic broadband which was 48$ + 7$ for the modem (this was the usual source of my customer service calls).

The one I have now is a local independent provider that serves just the inner Portland area.  Their rates are OK, there is never a billing "surprise" like I'd get with Xfinity, and their customer service is here in town, not New Delhi, Bucharest, or Bangkok.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • kaotkblisskaotkbliss Posts: 2,914

I would definately shop around and find a cheaper provider. And you probably don't need the fastest speed they offer. If you must have live tv (which with netflix, hulu, tubi and the like I don't really think it's needed) I'd go with attnow. Your internet provider doesn't have to be att to get it and it works on any pc/mac. just log in and watch. It's also a lot cheaper than regular cable tv.

It might also help to find a good roomate so you can split the bills. That will help you catch up on past dues and help you set aside for a better daz machine.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621

I had Comcast/XFinity here... I've been paying $200 a month. Next thing I knew, I needed $600 to catch up. ouch

You're kidding mesurprise That sound bloody ridiculous! Is internet only for wealthy people over there? I live in Finland and I think I pay like 25€ a month for a fiber connection.

And Ron, I really hope you get things sorted out, all the best!

...yeah it's expensive here as it is not a handled as public service like other nations do, but for profit.  Were I in Zagreb, I believe I'd be paying the equivalent 16USD for high speed service.

• Sven DullahSven Dullah Posts: 7,621
    kyoto kid said:

...yeah it's expensive here as it is not a handled as public service like other nations do, but for profit.  Were I in Zagreb, I believe I'd be paying the equivalent 16USD for high speed service.

Umm ok, but where I live it's not a public service, far from it actually, competition is hard so that may help to keep costs down.

• scorpioscorpio Posts: 8,316
    kyoto kid said:

Umm ok, but where I live it's not a public service, far from it actually, competition is hard so that may help to keep costs down.

Not a public service in England either, some places even have only 1 company providing their internet so the cost is whatever they want to charge.

Personally I pay over £60 for my internet.