OBJ export and import - any reproducable setting between Studio and Carrara?

Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
edited September 2013 in Carrara Discussion

I'm trying the whole day to get one(!) setting out of obj-export and -import between Studio and Carrara (8.1 or 8.5) which gives the same result when changed between the two applications. I have better and worse results using different options, but no correct one.

All I need: export obj from Studio, import into Carrara, export from Carrara, import into Studio: unchanged obj should be the same as the model in studio.

(I discovered 1st: that the scene size of Carrara changes the scaling of the imported obj; I guess there's some reason for this, but why, why there's not some plain obj export and import without any changes than the obviously needed y-z axis change?
and 2nd; import of obj after import of another obj seems to change the scaling)

Any help appriciated.

edit: I already tried every available combination of presets. Was a long day ...:)

Post edited by Frank__ on

Comments

• edited December 1969

1. When you save the object in Daz Studio, choose the Carrara Scaling (1 unit = 1 inch.)

2. When you import the object into Carrara, make sure the Options checkbox is checked on the select file panel. That will open an Object Import options panel.

3. In the Source option, select Daz Studio. That will preset the options for correctly importing from Daz Studio including the Disable resize.

Boojum the brown bunny

• Frank__Frank__ Posts: 302
    edited December 1969

1. When you save the object in Daz Studio, choose the Carrara Scaling (1 unit = 1 inch.)

2. When you import the object into Carrara, make sure the Options checkbox is checked on the select file panel. That will open an Object Import options panel.

3. In the Source option, select Daz Studio. That will preset the options for correctly importing from Daz Studio including the Disable resize.

Boojum the brown bunny

Thanks, I just exported for testing Gen 2 Female with Carrara-Scaling, I follow your step 2: the imported obj is 172,24 metres high. Hmm. What would be the export options to get it back into Studio on a correct scale?

(Exporting in Carrara-Scale and importing in Studio-Scale isn't the most intuitive way, but as I'm lost, I'll try every non-intuitive combination you - or someone else - come up with.)