cr2 file format to ???

handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399

Ok.

I'm new at this whole 3D process. 
I now have:
  Blender (zero working exp)
  Hexagon (1200 plus hrs working exp)
  DAZ Studios latest ver (600 hrs working exp)
  AutoCAD (thousands of hrs workg exp)
  AutoCAD Wire 3D (Zero hrs exp)

How do I create a cr2, or some other file that refers to the obj from what I have available, or what do I need to accomplish this?

In lew of that, how do I modify a cr2 file to make it do what I want it to do?

I want to modify a free, Poser product I have downloaded slightly to customize it to my needs. 
I do not have Poser (yet) but I have recently learned that I can open cr2 files in DAZ.

Is there a way to import the cr2 file, modify its properties and then save it again in cr2 (or another format) or is that a ULA violation?

If I need Poser, does anyone have an older version they want to sell?

Post edited by handyman4545 on

Comments

• LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026
    edited October 2018

What are you trying to do exactly? Load content in obj format? Load content for which you already have a cr2?

When you say "modify a cr2 to make it do what I want", what do you want to do exactly? Alter the rigging? Alter something else?

DS can load and use both obj and cr2 files (with a few restrictions, for example poser weightmapping won't work in DS) and inludes tools to create content in Poser format (figure setup tools for poser parametric rigging, cr2 exporter, ...) as 99% of the content released before Genesis was in Poser format, but whether or not it can do what you want will depend on what you're trying to do.

Post edited by Leana on
  • handyman4545handyman4545 Posts: 399
    edited October 2018

What I'm trying to do is create uniforms for my Star Trek models.

What's available via DAZ and Renderosity is good but I want something custom.
    I'm starting with a "Free" bodysuit but as I stated before, I'm so green in this particular part of 3D work that I have NO IDEA where or what to even look for.

The bodysuit I have is someone elses suit and I don't want to infringe on their creative tallents, but I also don't want to have to start from square one and build what's already built. If I can modify what's built to meet my needs and still not infringe on rights, that's what I want to do.

The problem I have is that it's in a cr2 format and I have no previous knowledge on how to work with that.

What I know purly from reason and deductive action is that the cr2 is linked to the obj in some fashion but the mtl file that my obj model is linked to, is superceded by the cr2 file materials.

When I open the obj file in Hexagon and modify the structiure, the structural changes are reflected in the cr2 file fine.
    The trouble comes in the materials and textures.
    The cr2 file has a pink texture color base to the entire suit while my obj has a black base and I've added burgandy to parts of the lapel but when I load the new revisons, my changes in colors are reflected in a global, chrome color and the pink cr2 suit overwrites my black base color.

What I want to do is alter the color and texture base of the suit.

I have the opertunity to purchase Poser 5 for $54.00
    If I need to buy it, do what I want to do, that's fine but if I can do this myself or fiond someone else who will assist me, that's fine too.

As I have no experience with Poser, I'm wondering if the price is ok for the ability of the software.

Post edited by handyman4545 on
  • LeanaLeana Posts: 11,026

As long as it's for your own personal use then there's no problem modifying someone else's work. What you can't do though is distribute the modified item afterwards.

Default materials are indeed stored in the cr2, it won't use the ones saved in the mtl.

You don't need Poser to modify the materials, you need to change the colors directly in DS using the "surface" tab, not in the modeling app.

Then you can either:

• simply save the result as a scene subset and reuse that subset next time you need the suit in DS ==> the drawback is that once saved in DS format it won't have a link to the obj anymore, and so won't take further modifications you may want to do on the obj
    • save a material preset so that you can apply the material changes to the cr2 next time you load it in DS
    • export the modified figure as a new cr2 and use this new cr2 later on.

I wouldn't buy Poser 5 for that price as it is a very old version (current is 11), and you can find better deals on newer versions if you wait for a sale. If you actually plan to use Poser I would suggest buying at least Poser 9 as this is the version where they introduced weightmapping.

• Leana:
    I have now learned that Hexagon, DAZ and an older copy of Photoshop/CS2 will satisfy all my needs.
    I agree with you that Poser is both redundant and overpriced under the circumstances.

I did as you sugested and tried out the "Surfaces Tab" and I was impressed with the results.

Having done that, again as suggested I saved in "Subset" (although I'm not sure yet of the status difference-even more to learn)

I'm still chewing on the work of learning the "material preset", cr2, DS format and .obj relationships.
    The water has gone from black to a mottled, opaque brown but on the upside, visibility has increased to 6"
    Whoo hoo!