Dynamic instructions/

SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
edited December 1969 in New Users

Can anyone post instructions (or a link to) very basic (ie idiot proof) instructions for using dynamic clothing? I only tried once ages ago, and I've forgotten what I did! I'm making static images, not animation but if I remember dynamic clothes require something to do with animation to get them to fit or be posed something.

Comments

• Cayman StudiosCayman Studios Posts: 1,134
    edited December 1969

I put these instructions on another thread but I'll also include them here:

Practically any Dynamic Clothing pose which is not the Default T-pose needs to be set using animation.

1. Drape cloth on Figure in Default Pose

2. Open the Timeline: Window > Panes > Timeline

3. Move marker to Frame 20

4. Set new Pose.

5. Move marker back to 0

6. Run Drape in Animated Mode

That’s the bare bones of it, anyway. Good luck. :coolsmile:

• SteveM17SteveM17 Posts: 971
    edited December 1969

Thanks Cayman, those are the instructions I wanted.
    Seems straight forward, so it'll be interesting to see how I make a mess of it!

edited December 1969

Well it worked, kind of. I accidentally used 30 frames instead of 20. Got the result below. As you can see the limbs are poking through the poncho rather than it being draped over them. I've also used smoothing and collision, but the limbs are still poking through. Have I done something wrong here?

dynamic_poncho.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 144K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

I don't use DS, but in poser, when running a dynamic drape, you have to tell it which parts of the figure you want the cloth to collide with, as against it poking thorugh. I am sure DS would have something similar,.

edited December 1969

As chohole said you have to set collision instructions for the clothing. In the Dynamic Clothing window click on the "Collide With..." button and make sure that all parts of Genesis (or whichever figure you're using) are checked so that the clothing interacts with it correctly.

In the above instance it looks like the right forearm and/or right hand have been left unchecked, which is why the clothing blithely ignores it. To be sure, for a first run, just leave everything checked. Later, when you get the hang of it, you can uncheck items which obviously won't be colliding with the clothes for a more efficient drape.

edited December 1969

I made sure all the body parts were checked and tried again, but still the arms poked through, as you can see below.
    I think it may be a case that dynamic clothing (or at least items like this) aren't suited to more extreme or dramatic poses. That may be why I tried it in the past and didn't get around to using it again for so long. But I'm sure I'll get some use from some dynamic stuff.

dynamic_poncho_2.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 144K
    edited December 1969

Ah. I've investigated this and downloaded it from Optitex. It didn't occur to me that, of course, poncho's don't have arms! Naturally the T-Shape start pose will not work properly in this case. In fact, if you look in the zip file you will see that there is a StartPose.pz2 file. If you put this somewhere where DAZ can see it, e.g. in the Runtime/Libraries/Pose folder, and create your own folder there, called something like "Poncho Start Pose", you can find it in the Poser Formats area, then run it for Michael 4. The pose, though, is actually just Michael 4 with his Shoulders down 50 degrees (see attached image), so you can do this manually before loading the poncho, and your animation should now run properly. Good luck!

StartPose.jpg
    1525 x 1014 - 138K
    edited December 1969

Wow, Cayman, why didn't I think of that?
    I feel a bit dumb now. Just lower his arms! Doh! I did as you suggested and the results are below. As you can see it now works as it should (and looks pretty nifty - a lot of people in my renders are going to be wearing ponchos from now on).

Thanks for your help. I'm now going to be looking at more dynamic clothes which I used to avoid before, so I'll have more stuff to play with.

I'll return to this thread if I have any more problems with dynamic items.

Cheers for the advice and info. If it wasn't for the kind and helpful people on this forum, I'd never have got anywhere with this hobby.

dynamic_poncho_3.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 83K
    edited December 1969

OK, Steve - glad to have been some help. :coolsmile:

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

SteveM17 said:
    I accidentally used 30 frames instead of 20.

It isn't a matter of using 20 frames total, the final pose should be on frame 20 of 30. The final frames are used to let the dynamic cloth "settle" — it's usually still in motion when the figure has finished animating its pose change.

In fact, for some extreme poses, you might find that isn't enough to let the cloth settle properly, If this happens, run a standard non-animated drape (switch the button from "Animated" back to "Single Frame") and see if that fixes it.

edited December 1969

Cheers for the info SpottedKitty, I wondered why the frames kept going to 30 - now I know. Thought I'd done something wrong as usual!

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

Part of that might be the default frame count being 30. I've never gone into animation beyond what's needed to run an animated dynamic drape, so while there are ways to set the frame count (and probably speed) to whatever you need, I haven't a clue how to do it.